Photo

How To Build A Propper 984Cc (950) With Power?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 minivo

minivo

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hi guys

What would make a proper 950 fastroad/track engine?

The mod-bits for a 1275 are there with the thousands, I know (mini)Spridget Mania & MED have some parts but where can you buy the best stuff for the 984cc A-series?
Can you guys give me a recipe for a proper build small bore engine, not over shooting 1000cc,an a estimate in power?
It would be for a 984cc Austin Healey sprite. 1959 base. I now have a 202 head that needs to be flowed.

Keeping it under 1000cc

FIA spec rules ( no induction or 8 port )

hope you guys come up whit something interesting.

gr ivo

#2 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

You are going to need to make it rev if your shooting for big power. So everything need to be balanced and lighten the internals. You will need to beef up the centre main bearing. The next thing would be for a super duper machine shop to make sure when they rebore it everything is lined up perfect to reduce the drag as much as possible.

I would suggest you will need to swap the head for a big bore and pocket the block or go all out on a 295.

Big cam and carb

You will then need to rev it to 8-9
Remove or make efficient as possible anything that you can that takes power from the engine like the fan.

So a bit like the autograss 1l cars

#3 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

As above, pay attention to blueprinting, on the yellow book there was a mention about the 948 engine, and its shows how to modify a 202.

The 202 is a good base but a word of warning, modifying a close chamber head will need a lot of grinding and attention checking that you dont break into the galleries once you're going to skim it to restore the CR. Theres the possibility that you cant modify your 202 becuase you will break the oil gallery to restore the CR once you've been opening the chambers, or theres simply not enough meat. In a few words, a 295 or even a 940 will be a much easier road to take.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users