JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hi;

I have been reading a few old threads on fitting P Clips to the underside for the Fuel and Brake Pipes however just need some confirmation.

1. What Size P Clips for the Fuel Line (Metal Pipe).

2. What Size P Clips for the Fuel Line (Rubber Hose).

3. What Size P Clips for the Brake Pipes (Metal Pipe).

4. What Size P Clips for the Battery Cable.

Also

5. What size / type of bolts to weld or bolt through the underside to go through the P Clips.

6. Is it best to weld the bolt to the underside or drill a hole, put the bolt through and then weld?

7. Good source of P Clips?

At first I only need to do the area where the Hoses and Pipes are attached to the Heelboard and the Underside of the Boot Floor, as I am restoring from the rear forwards in stages.

Some of the original tabs have rusted away and I don't really want to just weld on some pieces of steel?

Thanks

#2 samg2007

samg2007

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

+1 would be really useful to know.

Also, they do metal p clips with plastic inners, might be different size.

#3 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

I used nylon/plastic coated metal p clips, can't tell you the size off the top of my head but I riveted them on 12 years ago and they are still in perfect condition.

#4 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

1. What Size P Clips for the Fuel Line (Metal Pipe).

2. What Size P Clips for the Fuel Line (Rubber Hose).

3. What Size P Clips for the Brake Pipes (Metal Pipe).

4. What Size P Clips for the Battery Cable.

Also

5. What size / type of bolts to weld or bolt through the underside to go through the P Clips.

6. Is it best to weld the bolt to the underside or drill a hole, put the bolt through and then weld?

7. Good source of P Clips?

Answers to 1 - 4 - they come in all sorts of sizes, so measure your pipe, hose, cable and order the right ones.

5 - I've used M5 stainless steel button headed allen bolts

6 - I used something called a rivnut (in M5 funnily enough). Trouble with welding something on the outside and sitting a P clip on top is it will force the cable or pipe away from the floor - but you could put the P clip on back to front to prevent this. Can you not weld tab's back on as per original - will save messing with P clips and if you protect them properly with waxoil they will last.

7 - Ebay...or better still, find a local supplier and take your pipes, hoses, and cable along to try the sizes - that will answer Q's 1 - 4.  You will have a fasteners supplier local to you that do bolts, screws etc etc and they will more likely do P clips.  Failing that, i'm sure screwfix do them - but i prefer giving my business to a local independant supplier as the big sheds don't do UNF or UNC threads.

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

I use big pan head self tappers for P clips... I bought a load of P clips a couple of years ago in various sizes but unfortunately I can't remember where from.... but if you only need small amounts rather than 100's then I can probably supply some...

#6 madaboutcherry

madaboutcherry

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

I normally use a 3/16 bolt welded on the opposite side of the floor or if you are relocating completely then on the tunnel. ( keep the bolt as short as possible.)

Size wise an internal diameter of 5mm for the brake lines and 11 mm for the battery cable. If they are slightly loose then use some Teflon tape on the pipe / cable.

Fuel pipe appears to be just under 7mm so again a 7mm internal dia P clip with Teflon tape wrapped around should do the job.

#8 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

Went into town and came back with 30 M5 x 15mm Zinc Plated Bolts, Nyloc Nuts and Flat Washers, no P Clips anywhere so looks like Flea Bay to the rescue.

These or similiar will do thanks 

I normally use a 3/16 bolt welded on the opposite side of the floor or if you are relocating completely then on the tunnel. ( keep the bolt as short as possible.)

Size wise an internal diameter of 5mm for the brake lines and 11 mm for the battery cable. If they are slightly loose then use some Teflon tape on the pipe / cable.

Fuel pipe appears to be just under 7mm so again a 7mm internal dia P clip with Teflon tape wrapped around should do the job.

I measured my cable, hoses and pipes and seems like the brakes are like you say 5mm, my fuel pipe is about 6- 7mm but my fuel hoses are two different sizes (probably changed at some point) where it joins to the metal fuel pipe under the rear floor is 11mm and after a male to male adaptor where it goes into the Boot Floor is 12mm? I'll probably renew these hoses anyway.

Thanks for the replies

#9 tom1

tom1

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

I use a place in Ilkestone Derbyshire, Google them under motor car cable or something like that.

#10 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

Try these guys for all things electrical and cable orientated.......

http://www.autoelect...322/category/65

#11 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

And cheaper than the ones I just bough off of Ebay :-(

#12 Cerberus

Cerberus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Not when you include delivery I bet.  AES are great if you're ordering a bunch of stuff though, we've used them for a lot of the electrical bits on the TVR.  I think we've got enough wire to wrap around the world twice, :D

#13 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

Not when you include delivery I bet.  AES are great if you're ordering a bunch of stuff though, we've used them for a lot of the electrical bits on the TVR.  I think we've got enough wire to wrap around the world twice, :D

Ah yes, but alot of ebay stuff is utter rubbish.....whereas AES only seem to do decent products and i will gladly pay more for postage if i know i'm getting a decent product.

#14 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Fitted my first two bolts into the Heelboard, the recesses where the original straps were, one on the LH side for the fuel and one on the RH side for the battery cable. The bolts I bought are 15mm long and luckily when inserted through the Heelboard they do not protrude further than the flat edge that the Subframe sits up against.

They may however be a little on the long side for under the Mini but I don't think it would matter as there is nothing that they could catch on?? Or should I have opted for 10mm?

#15 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

OK my 5mm Clips for the Brake Pipe and 7mm Clips for the Metal Fuel Pipe have arrived but I still need some clips for the Rubber Fuel Hose.

The Rubber Hose I have is two different Outside Diameter sizes, connected to the metal pipe its 11mm it the connects to a metal Male to Male connector and then there is a 12mm Rubber Hose that goes into the Boot and is connected to the Fuel Tank. The setup is as per this but I only have a single strap (1982 Austin HLE 1000), so I am guessing the first hose is 5/16 then it goes into a 5/16 to 1/4 straight through adaptor and then to a 1/4 Fuel Hose?

The parts that the Fuel Hoses link to are confusing, Item 32 is listed twice for a 2 1/2 Inch 5/16 Bore Braided Hose and item 33 is listed 6 times for a 1/4 Bore Braided Hose (which one do I need or do I just measure the hoses I have)?

I will either renew these hoses for rubber Hose or change them for braided Hoses however before I buy the clips I need to know the OD of the rubber Hose or the Braided Hose. Does anyone know?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users