Photo
- - - - -

Wheel Bearing Replacement

brakes

Best Answer silve1999 , 17 September 2014 - 05:16 PM

£200+ just for labour. The wheel bearings are around £40 each I seem to do both sides when I get them done :( Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lolltait

lolltait

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

Over the last couple of weeks (following a small bump which resulted in a new subframe) I've been hearing a strange noise from the driver side tyre that sounds like there's something stuck in the wheel. My brakes are VERY squeaky too. The day of my bump my austin mini mayfair (1987) was supposed to go into the garage as my wheel bearing is very very tight, so I'm presuming it was going in for a replacement wheel bearing (Something to do with roller bearings??....)

Does anybody have any idea how much this is going to cost me? I've already spent a small fortune on her and having a mini as a first car is great.... But i want to make sure the repairs that get done are done properly and that i'm not being ripped off. Also, how much of a danger is it driving with an overtight wheel bearing? I rarely drive fast but when I've picked up speed the noise stops completely (or it's lost in the noise of the accelerator) but is very noticeable when I slow down. 

Any help would be much appreciated - 18 yr old who's a small fish in a big pond when it comes to cars. 

#2 PandO

PandO

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

Please be very careful! Overtight wheel bearings could seize without warning and could end up with you losing a wheel completely.Before driving anywhere other than to a local repairer it would be advisable to check that the bearing has not become dry. Check a Hayne's manual or similar. Cheers

#3 lolltait

lolltait

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

Ah.. Okay thank you! Is it a big job to get it replaced? And is it expensive?

#4 lolltait

lolltait

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

Anybody??? 

#5 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

It required stripping down most of the front suspension to remove the hub so you can punch the old bearings out so is quite time consuming at times. But overall not a hard job.

#6 silve1999

silve1999

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Local Club: MiniFreakz, Brighton Mini Club

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

between £200-350 I reckon plus parts.

#7 silve1999

silve1999

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

make sure they use quality bearings to replace them skf or timken... if you need your pads and discs or balljoints shimmed and sorting as well now would be a good time as to do the bearings the front drive assembly gets disassembled.  the bearings can be melted to the swivel hubs, assuming you dont need new swivel hubs or any of the breaking system overhauled.

#8 PandO

PandO

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

As mentioned do not buy cheap bearings - stories abound of Chinese bearings from websites can last as little as days. You should look to buying yourself some tools and tackling this job yourself - although an estimate of over £200 should be tops if you find a smaller garage with a guy that knows Minis the tools will pay for themselves if you plan to keep a classic on the road. A Haynes manual will list any special tools needed - another good investment! Best of luck

#9 silve1999

silve1999

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:16 PM   Best Answer

£200+ just for labour. The wheel bearings are around £40 each I seem to do both sides when I get them done :(

#10 lolltait

lolltait

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Okay brilliant. Thanks for all your help!

#11 samsfern

samsfern

Likes Rovers, loves Jeremy Kyle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Local Club: medway mini club/medwaymonkeys

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

Inner bearing race could also have welded itself to the cv joint too, so that / they could also need replacing at the same time.

#12 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

About a month ago, I paid just under £200 for parts and labour to do both sides on the front . That was a complete set, inner and out bearings.

That was using genuine timken bearings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users