Photo

Scrappage Incentive Scheme - How Many Were Lost?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:16 PM

Stop reading now if you are easily disturbed by the thought of minis going to the scrappy.

A couple of years ago, I saw an advert on eBay for a limited edition mini that the seller claimed had been "saved" from Scrappage Inventive Scheme.

The Scrappage Scheme ran for about a year starting in 2009 and gave buyers of new cars an incentive to trade in cars older then 10 years for a discount  of £2000 (£1000 from UK Gov, £1000 from the dealer). These cars were then scrapped or broken, effectively taking them off the road forever, supposedly in the place of lower emission vehicles.

The story of the advert went, that the dealer, being a mini lover himself, begged the owners planning to hand over their "limited edition" mini to the scrappage scheme to reconsider and in the end handed over £2K of his own money to keep the car out of the hands of the scrappy.

I always wondered how many Mini's were lost forever to the Scrappage scheme? I did a bit of digging but couldn't find any meaningful information, but as a man with slightly too much time on his hands and a vague understanding of the Freedom of Information act, I decided to find out!

SO....... I asked the government, and somewhat to my surprise, they gave me the data :genius: , some of its a bit of a mess, so I am working through the figures at the moment, but I can tell you that the number of Minis taken off the road was........................................

702  :(

Which wasn't quite as high as I thought, I do have a bit of a breakdown of models and manufacturers, so I will try and post up some more stats over the next couple of days. There were quite a few limited/special editions scrapped as well  O_O

Mini Sidewalk owners....be ashamed of yourselves.....again I will publish up some more stuff later.

By contrast about 20,000 Ford Fiestas were taken off the roads (most popular scrapped car)

I can also guarantee that when I get to the Austin Monego and Allego figures, Tanya will be blubbing.....it doesn't look good 

Incidentally, the "saved" mini was up on eBay for £4K, that's good Samaritans for you..

#2 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:20 PM

I read somewhere there was a scary amount of old Landys as well :ohno:

#3 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

Cool post, always wondered about the scrappage scheme and minis. As well as minis, just think of what other oldies some old folk let go :( I remember reading a post on here of a old chap giving his mint mk1 golf up to the scheme for a new micra >_<

#4 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

I read somewhere there was a scary amount of old Landys as well :ohno:

Not as many as the Disco's but quite a lot, when I get a chance I will add them up 

#5 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

Cool post, always wondered about the scrappage scheme and minis. As well as minis, just think of what other oldies some old folk let go :( I remember reading a post on here of a old chap giving his mint mk1 golf up to the scheme for a new micra >_<

I have seen a couple of Austin Healeys so far, still working through the list

#6 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:29 PM

It's part of our evolution and moving on I suppose. When you look at the hybrid technology which is out there now, cars that can do 140MPG you realise that time really is running out for our little tin boxes. There will eventually be a time when it simply becomes to expensive to drive a Mini, or any classic for that matter. It's a bit like being between a rock in a hard place because I adore Minis, I love cars, they are one of my main passions in life... but if we don't look after the planet for future generations then what's left? It's all we have. 

Just five days ago the first ever Formula E (totally electric open wheeled race cars) took place at Beijing Olympic Green Circuit. It's a concept which a year ago seemed totally insane but already I feel acclimatised. Things become normal quicker than you expect.

Let's not dwell on those that have already been lost... I've seen potentially gorgeous sportspacks that were left to rot and broken LTD editions that were so rotten the glass was structural... if we look after our own they'll remain on the road and theres enough of us nutters left that we'll keep them going strong for a good few years yet!

Great research though. Did that include Worseley and Riley models? I would expect owner of these in particular to be a main demographic of such a scheme. Cars that had done 35k miles since new and sat in a garage owned by an elderly couple that don't use it much and don't see it as a classic so the thought of getting a few grand off a new KIA in exchange for that slow smelly Mini sitting in the garage is all too tempting...

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 17 September 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#7 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

Only saw a couple of Worlseys, not checked on Rileys yet. If my Excel skills are upto it, I will try and publish a breakdown by manufacturer.

To compare to a Mini contemporary of sorts, 70 Beatles were scrapped.

#8 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:35 PM

I'm sure if a similar scheme takes place in Germany where the VW Beetle is native that number will be higher :D And the same with France and it's 2CV 

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 17 September 2014 - 11:36 PM.

#9 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

Only saw a couple of Worlseys, not checked on Rileys yet. If my Excel skills are upto it, I will try and publish a breakdown by manufacturer.

I dont want to know, i'll cry!

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

I remember when BMW stepped in (after protests from classic Mini enthusiasts) and told a Scottish MINI Dealer to remove a Mini Cooper Sportpack from on display as being traded in for £2000 scrappage against a New MINI. :ohno:

BMWscrappage_zpsb3613527.jpg

This was the apology later issued:-

"Douglas Park MINI of Hamilton did not intend to cause any offence by using a classic Mini to advertise the scrappage scheme in its dealer forecourt. BMW dealers in the area are using older BMW models in a similar manner and several other manufacturers have also adopted this approach. However, it is fully accepted that using a classic Mini in this way may have been interpreted as insensitive. This has been recognised and the car has now been removed."

Edited by mab01uk, 18 September 2014 - 12:12 AM.

#11 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:28 AM

I hope the cubed car sitting beside the sportspack wasn't a mini  O_O

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

A Hyundai dealer at Gatwick saved a 36,000-mile, museum-quality 1958 Morris Minor from the crusher (the DVLA would not descrap it so it can't be used on the road) but Hyundai asked for suggestions for what to do with it and I think it ended up in the Amberley Heritage Museum in Arundel, West Sussex........I saw it there on a visit a couple of years ago.

However this one was not so lucky.......

Quote:

"This was a 1965 morris minor in perfect condition with some brand new parts on.some one had traded it in on that scrappage scheme,it had to be scrapped,what a waste."

#13 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Aren't they all sitting in an airfield somewhere?

Edit: Bedfordshire

Some urbexers have explored

http://www.urbexforu...Yard-March-2011

Edited by Chance, 18 September 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#14 miniyellowmini

miniyellowmini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

5 years on how many of these 'cheap' cars that were bought through this ridiculous scheme are now coming to the end of their lives or already scrapped?

#15 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

I wonder hoe many minis are hiding in that lot :(

16d380dfa9045cee21ef0864d094c53a.jpg

Not far from me. Might go have a mooch ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic