96 replies to this topic

#76 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:35 PM

Do you mean the part that goes through the top arm?
If so that's a replaceable part in it own right bud

Hi Lawrence,

No I mean the 4 bolts that hole the top shock mount to the inner wing!  

Hope that makes more sense

#77 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

Oh the little threaded block. When I did my resto I managed to cut the bottom ones out and welded two m6 nuts onto a bar then rewelded it back to the body if that helps you at all?

#78 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

Thanks Lawrence,  I managed to find a 5.4mm drill bit and tap the correct 1/4" thread into some plate and weld it back in the correct location.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what need removing from this subframe.

The rubber cones cam off ok, but it looks to me like the metal base is still attached.  

Is that correct?  If I need to remove the outer ring, is the centre bit meant to come with it or it that part of the subframe..

Many thanks for the help so far.

Attached Files

#79 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

Yes, the single thickness flared metal ring should be part of the cone spring an will need removing from the subframe (and the cones replacing).

#80 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

A big hammer is your friend and it should fly off. By the looks of the paint it's probable on original cones unless the rear sub frames been replaced

#81 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

Yes, the single thickness flared metal ring should be part of the cone spring an will need removing from the subframe (and the cones replacing).

A big hammer is your friend and it should fly off. By the looks of the paint it's probable on original cones unless the rear sub frames been replaced

thanks for your responses Guy's.  I did some tentative hammering but nothing wanted to move.  WD40 overnight will probably help

Just to be clear,   the clean black ring in the middle should stay as part of the subby or will come away with the rusty outer rings?

Thanks again guys..

Thinking about Roll cages now but unsure if my wallet can stretch to it at this point in time.  I really fancy a go at rallying but am unsure what class the car would be able to compete in.  I think it it to new for classic car status   

#82 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:57 PM

Clean bit to stay. Rusty bit to hammer off

#83 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

I should be picking up a 1989 Metro city in a few weeks.  I know the history as its been in my family from new.  I think the mileage is under 40k.  I have been told the bodywork is in very good condition apart from a door.  I will be removing the 1275 lump in preparation for the K head conversion.

Is anyone interested in purchasing the rolling complete shell with MG metro pepper pots fitted.  I understand the tyres were new a few years aro but don't hold air now.  My uncle who is in possession of it now thinks the beads probably need cleaning up

#84 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

MUST GET MOTIVATED.  I have not touched the Mini in months.  All I need to do is adjust the passenger door gap and start paint prepping.   

#85 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

Got out to the Mini for the first time in many months.  I have been delaying it and putting this job off for ages, to the point I was thinking about putting the whole lot on ebay and just buy one with MOT and in a good state.

Anyway the task was the passengers door gap.  I used and old wire coat hanger,  cut the lower edge of the rear of the door back with a flap disk.  then did the old trick of welding the wire on and linished it back.

Sorry about the one rubbish picture.  The light in my workspace is terrible.

Attached File  20161203_162027.jpg   13.9K   11 downloads

I was very happy with the way it went.  I was originally trying to run a bead of weld op the door seam.  That was not happening.  I think due to seam sealer of somit that was probably coated on all surfaces before the edge was folded over.  

The coat hanger trick made a huge difference

#86 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

YAY  got electric back in my free garage last week.   Got the tiger seal on, then Gravitex.

I hope the top coat paint arrives tomorrow so I can coat the floor.  Having said that, the upper need prep work done before she starts to look nice again

Attached File  floor.jpg   58.18K   15 downloadsAttached File  Mini Floor.jpg   44.52K   17 downloads

#87 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

Attached File  20171104_125659.jpg   43.72K   6 downloads

#88 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas fellow Min lovers....  If the weather stats mild I might even get some work done on the old girl.

#89 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

Yay suns out at last...

Did a bit on clearing the last of the interior remains last night like handbrake, seatbelts and steering support bracket / clocks bracket.

A quick dumb question.  The rear part of the loom, in the boot.  Should that just pull up through the rear quarter corner panel?  I spent quite a while trying to coax it up, but it gets stuck when i try to pull the first lights connector through.

Going back tonight to try again.  If not I quess I can bag it all and spray around it...

Many thanks...

#90 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

Yeh, it goes between the quarter panel and the seat back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users