1 reply to this topic

#1 biker1981

biker1981

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Hi been given a mig welder from a neighbour who told me to sell and put towards my mini, he used to own a plant hire business

Can anyone identify the jig welder as was dark so just took quick pick. Also comes with full pub co2 gas bottle are these worth selling and for how
Much please ??

All finds going towards the mini

Attached Files

#2 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

Would need better pictures and some sort of spec for the welder which I can't see from those pics. It does look like a socket for a euro torch which suggests it's at the higher end of hobby machine though (assuming it's not just been retrofitted by a previous owner. Of course there's also the obvious question of whether it works or not. I don't actually see a torch - there's what looks like a euro plug and flex so I'm assuming the torch is hiding behind the earth clamp (again a decent looking one so might bode well for this being a decent machine). The brand looks like MultiArc? is there a number hiding behind the mains plug? That might lead to a proper spec.

For comparison a new Clarke one which is a good machine for anything car related can be had from Machinemart for a bit over £200 on a VAT free offer. If you're prepared to wait you can usually find someone with a VAT free offer so that's the real price you are looking at.

With this one it's second hand to start with and there's always going to be the question in people's minds of what happens if it goes pop in six months or weeks time. It would have to be a well known and respected make and model that I was confident I could get repaired if something went pop and would match/exceed the Clarke quality for me to consider paying over £100 purely because of the no warranty situation. It might well work with no issues for many years but then it might not.......

The bottle is worth about £10 in gas because you probably don't know it's full - CO2 is stored in liquid form so once the pressure is high enough to liquefy the gas it remains constant. When you start using it the pressure in the bottle will remain constant until the last bit of liquid gas evaporates inside the bottle and then the pressure will drop like a stone until it's empty. You tell how much gas is in there by weight with CO2 so unless you know the weight of the bottle and have weighed it then there could be just a few minutes of welding gas in there. You can't rely on being able to get it re-filled because the chances are that it doesn't actually belong to you (they are usually on rental/loan). If you take it to a different supplier they probably won't refill it and if you take it to the original supplier they might start asking questions about why you have it and the original person they supplied it to didn't return it. Again for comparison I paid £20 deposit on my pub bottle and £20 when I exchange it for a full one - when I'm done I return the bottle and get my original £20 back.

Of course there are always mugs out there......... generally on ebay.

Iain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users