5 replies to this topic

#1 pig on the wing

pig on the wing

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

gonna finally install my spots this weekend...Can they be wired  low beam or just high beam????Ive got the wiring kit and a switch, but after looking for advice on wiring they all mention wiring into the high beam. Ideally I'd like them to be wired into the low beam and I can switch them when needed,

Ta

#2 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Local Club: CCMOC

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

I'd imagine by low you mean dipped? They are either on or off so I don't think it's possible.

#3 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

No legally they can only be wired into the high beams. I cant see any time where you would want spot lights but not high beam anyway? You cant drive around with dipped beams and spots on as you will dazzle everyone.

You could wire them independently so the headlight don't affect them but they would either have to be fogs (with the proper lenses) or work lights like on landrovers. Doing this though would mean using them safely for road use would be impossible!

#4 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

I would recommend that they are run through an appropriate relay with a separate power feed to the relay. Then using one of the spare bullet connection in the front panel, run a trigger wire to the relay so that they are activated when you turn main beam on.

As above have said, although its possible to wire them to the switch to give you control of them being on and off - they are effectively additional high beams and therefore cant be used alongside dipped beam.

Any confusion give us me a shout at wiredbywilson at aol.com as we make these easy fit looms as a mini specific kit with matching wiring etc.

David

#5 pig on the wing

pig on the wing

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Thanks, I wasn't aware it was illegal.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

I use a 3-position toggle switch. Up is for them to be on with main beams via the dip-switch circuit, centre is off and down is on manually with no other lights on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users