#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

Some old photos from a 'Treasure Hunt' event I organised back in September 1981 for the original Surrey/Sussex region of Ray Holmans 'Mini Cooper Club.' The photos are from the mid-point of the run parked up at Outwood Windmill, Surrey and at the finish at the 'Hand in Hand' pub on top of Boxhill, Surrey. I remember one of the 'treasure' items required to be collected was a hard boiled egg, so some members who had managed to obtain an egg (not that easy on a Sunday in 1981 England) were unsuccessfully trying to boil them using their hot radiators or exhaust manifolds....the eventual winner (my brother Steve navigating with his then girlfriend driving) managed to drop in on a local resident who agreed to hard boil an egg for them! Despite some suspicions from other competitors at the time the result was not 'fixed' for close family members! We also arrived at the pub, hungry after a long afternoon of Mini driving fun and getting lost on narrow twisty country lanes, only to find the pub did not serve any food on Sunday evenings.....only packets of crisps. :lol:
http://www.outwoodmill.com/

The white '65 Mk1 S with Weller wheels (next to my red Mk3) had been recently restored by its long time owner 'Nick' but appears to be currently on sorn so I guess it may still exist. (The green Renault imposter was Ray Holmans company car as his Mk1/2  Mini Cooper was being restored/reshelled into a new Mk3 shell).

MCCTreasureHuntSep81_zpsdba83f8d.jpg

MCCSep81-3BoxHill_zps73bf44c5.jpg

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:56 PM

NickMini1972_zps03fff470.jpg

The white '65 S, looking a bit different 9 years earlier in the classified ads of the 10th anniversary edition of Car magazine (September 1972)...image scanned by a Mk1 Forum member.

Description:

"CAR's Art Editor is selling his wife's December 1965 Cooper 'S' - Two tone brown 'Like a Radford'. Flared arches, wide wheels, sun roof, radio, twin spots in grill, bucket seats. New clutch. Timing chain etc. Selling to make room for clapped out Tiger £350 o.n.o secures."

#3 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

NickMini1972_zps03fff470.jpg

The white '65 S, looking a bit different 9 years earlier in the classified ads of the 10th anniversary edition of Car magazine (September 1972)...image scanned by a Mk1 Forum member.

Description:

"CAR's Art Editor is selling his wife's December 1965 Cooper 'S' - Two tone brown 'Like a Radford'. Flared arches, wide wheels, sun roof, radio, twin spots in grill, bucket seats. New clutch. Timing chain etc. Selling to make room for clapped out Tiger £350 o.n.o secures."

Those were the days...... aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh    :proud:

#4 1275GT Fan

1275GT Fan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:01 AM

NUF 989W, the Innocenti Cooper ended up matt black and was bought by my then Girlfiend (and London and Surrey MOC committee member Jo Bridges) who did the Italian Job in it in 1991. Sadly Luigi is no longer with us having been driven into in a Motorway Services.

Edited by 1275GT Fan, 30 September 2014 - 08:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users