Photo
- - - - -

2013 Coopersd Hesitation/flat Spot When Pulling Away.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Hazebee

Hazebee

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

I have a 2013 cooper SD and have encountered a problem when pulling away in 1st gear. There appears to be a flat spot or a very obvious hesitation in the response when pulling away. I have taken it to the garage and the computer shows no faults and the mechanic said he drove it and didn't notice anything! It's really obvious to me but it does not do all the time. Maybe every second or third time stopping at junctions or roundabouts. Was just wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem? Going to take it back again tomorrow as I'm not satisfied it's been investigated properly. Any advice help would be greatly appreciated :)

#2 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

being that it is a year or so old - it needs to go back to the dealer

all you could do is change fuel filter in case it's had some dodgy Diesel  - change air filter as well

but the supplier should be doing the diagnostics

this is an old mini forum - not really for the BINI's - but you are welcome to stick around

& there are owners of mini's & BINI's on here

wonder if it's turbo lag , or waste gate sticking - but just a wild guess

Edited by sledgehammer, 30 September 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#3 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

+1 for going back to a MINI dealer, its within the 3 year warranty that they give so they are the best people to see. 

#4 Hazebee

Hazebee

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

Cool. Thanks! It was the only mini forum I could find that looked legit!

#5 Hazebee

Hazebee

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

+1 for going back to a MINI dealer, its within the 3 year warranty that they give so they are the best people to see. 

Yeah I know. I'm just going to have to keep at them. This was just an attempt to see if anyone else had encountered a similar problem as I get the feeling they think I'm imagining it! Haha!

#6 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

Yeah I know. I'm just going to have to keep at them. This was just an attempt to see if anyone else had encountered a similar problem as I get the feeling they think I'm imagining it! Haha!

Can't say I have as I don't have any experience with issues on an SD, although that may change as my mum is currently driving one. She did have an R56 Cooper S beforehand which had many faults and all fixed under warranty, and someone else I know has had a few issues with an R50 Cooper and they just told her the mad oil consumption is normal... so MINI have their good and bad days when it comes to service, just keep pestering them until they experience the fault you are having. Thing is with a diesel it has loads of torque from low down the rev  range so you shouldn't be experiencing hesitation. 

#7 Domneon

Domneon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

There's a possibility that its something to do with wheel speed sensors, making the abs mess with the ecu. 

Get a diagnostic done which will find any faults. If I'm right, then the fault should appear under ABS as temporary or intermittent fault.

Other possibilities have been mentioned, but of course, get a main dealer to look at it.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

Can't say I have as I don't have any experience with issues on an SD, although that may change as my mum is currently driving one. She did have an R56 Cooper S beforehand which had many faults and all fixed under warranty, and someone else I know has had a few issues with an R50 Cooper and they just told her the mad oil consumption is normal... so MINI have their good and bad days when it comes to service, just keep pestering them until they experience the fault you are having. Thing is with a diesel it has loads of torque from low down the rev  range so you shouldn't be experiencing hesitation. 

Bmw quote 1 litre every 1500 miles, which is excessive

#9 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Bmw quote 1 litre every 1500 miles, which is excessive

This was a bit more than that, I think she said she was putting in £80 worth of oil a week or something absurd. In the end they took it for 2 weeks and I presume thrashed the whatsnames off it and got it down to about 1.5 litres every 1000 miles or something and said theres nothing wrong. I don't however know the full story but thats what I was told

#10 Hazebee

Hazebee

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Yeah that's how I know there's a fault. It's should be really responsive bottom end but it's not! Will see what they say tomorrow!

#11 Hazebee

Hazebee

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

There's a possibility that its something to do with wheel speed sensors, making the abs mess with the ecu. 

Get a diagnostic done which will find any faults. If I'm right, then the fault should appear under ABS as temporary or intermittent fault.

Other possibilities have been mentioned, but of course, get a main dealer to look at it.

I got the diagnostic done today and showed no faults. There is DEFO something wrong! Just need to keep pestering them! Haha!

#12 Domneon

Domneon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

I got the diagnostic done today and showed no faults. There is DEFO something wrong! Just need to keep pestering them! Haha!

But what system did they use?

I work at the tech centre for Peugeot Citroen, and our diagnostics will find faults that most systems aren't capable of finding. A main MINI/BMW dealer will have something similar

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

But what system did they use?

I work at the tech centre for Peugeot Citroen, and our diagnostics will find faults that most systems aren't capable of finding. A main MINI/BMW dealer will have something similar
Yes i agree, this is because the machine manufacturers have to pay vehicle manufacturers for licences to thier data, BMW wont have to

Edited by cal844, 30 September 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#14 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

Are you familiar with how different a diesel car drives to a petrol? This is a BMW engine that is very good in terms of reliability. I'm not trying to sound flippant but I suspect there is nothing wrong. Drive a merc c class or vaux vectra and you will see the same thing, turbo lag.......... I had an SD as a loan car and it was a bit leggy,

If there are no codes then the ecu will not have stored a fault.

How long have you had the car.?

Edited by Badboytunes, 30 September 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#15 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

A mate of mine has a Mondeo Diesel which doesn't seem to boost in 1st

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users