#1 dow62

dow62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:26 PM

So as from tomorrow you can display any year tax disc in your car, be it year of manufacture or your birthday ?

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

That's right

#3 dow62

dow62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

Suppose only( in the eyes of the law ) a meaningless sticker now.

#4 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

Suppose only( in the eyes of the law ) a meaningless sticker now.

Now this raises an interesting point, I was under the impression that you're only legally allowed to display "official stickers" on your windscreen (I.e. parking & access permits, disabled Persons Badges/permits, Parking Permits, Licences and Vehicle Anti-Theft Scheme stickers issued by a Policy Authority etc.) As a tax disc is no longer a legal requirement, I guess it could be argued that you are not legally allowed to display an expired or reproduction tax disc on your windscreen because if it's not a valid, then it can no longer be deemed as an "official sticker".

Could this mean that we're going to end up in the rather bizzare situation where people are now going to be fined/prosecuted for actually displaying a Tax disc instead???

#5 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:10 AM

Well I've just put a 1980 tax disc in mine! Cant see why it would really be a law problem, loads of cars have stickers with service info on windscreens and I've never heard of those big stickers going across the side of screens popular in the dub scene causing issues.

#6 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:58 AM

Right then, so from what I can make out it would seem that any sticker is allowed so long as it dosent encroach more than 10mm into the swept area of the windscreen immidietly infront of the driver (145mm either side of the centre of the steering wheel). There seems to be less of a restriction on the "Official Stickers" I mentioned earlier, so long as they don't seriously restrict the drivers view.

So on that basis, it would appear that an old/replica tax disc should be fine, so long as it's displayed in the traditional place.

#7 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

Had a 1963 repro disc on mine and never had any problems. In fact I didnt actually display the current disc, it sits in a holder on the dashboard and "must have just fallen off" if I was ever asked - I wasnt!

#8 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

Does that mean if you have a tax disc which has say 8 month left , can you take it out now ?

Cheers james

#9 Craig89

Craig89

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

Yes mate, no longer required to display it

#10 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

Good..... I'm sick of looking at the cellotape holding it on lol

Cheers j

#11 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

So as from tomorrow you can display any year tax disc in your car, be it year of manufacture or your birthday ?

Not here.   We'll be ready to go on October 1st 2034. (or so, no need to rush these things)

#12 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

I always found that the tax disc obscured a bit of my view out of the mini no matter where I put it. I'm very glad of this, they also said it would save £10m a year in admin fees and postage at the DVLA so maybe we can all have a quid off our tax? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Yeah right!

#13 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

Right then, so from what I can make out it would seem that any sticker is allowed so long as it dosent encroach more than 10mm into the swept area of the windscreen immidietly infront of the driver (145mm either side of the centre of the steering wheel). There seems to be less of a restriction on the "Official Stickers" I mentioned earlier, so long as they don't seriously restrict the drivers view.

So on that basis, it would appear that an old/replica tax disc should be fine, so long as it's displayed in the traditional place.

Just wish they would apply this restriction to the ******* who drive around with their satnavs in the middle of the windscreen.

#14 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

I like changing my tax disc :(

#15 Gerbil367

Gerbil367

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

Just wish they would apply this restriction to the ******* who drive around with their satnavs in the middle of the windscreen.

Not quite as bad as the great big garland thingys that hang off some peoples mirrors (and now await backlash..........) ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users