Photo
- - - - -

!help Please! - Running Out Of Ideas - Engine Won't Run Without Choke - New Head

Best Answer Bradshaw-s , 16 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

OK Guys...not sure if anyone wants to know the outcome?....but here goes!

Brand new (not reconditioned) HIF38...managed to pick up a FZX 1413 (without the additional 'economy' pipes)  from Ebay for £235

Anyway changed the needle & spring - hey presto no more idling problems & runs great - just need to play with the mixture & timing - but basically was drivable within minutes of fitting.

I believe the old carb was faulty from the start, even with the service kit installed - mainly because the dashpot fitted very easily on the carb body - the new one is such a tight fit - leads me to think that it was a mish mash of parts & would have struggled with it whatever I did - at last I know it wasn't an issue with the fitting/gaskets/manifolds :o)

Problem solved - but not totally satisfied as I would have liked to have known what the issue was with the carb exactly....but happy (even tho £235 lighter)

I would like to thank everyone for their help - but I was at the end of my tether so bought a new carb - I was confident enough that I had executed everyones ideas thoroughly...I am just glad it was the carb, no doubt you guys would have found it quickly - but this was my first mini...lesson learnt!

Si

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 Bradshaw-s

Bradshaw-s

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

OK - Thats it I'm officially over it! lol

Removed the carb - stripped it down as per SU service kit instructions - kit only fitted 4 weeks ago so all service parts are still new - checked float levels again etc... put the carb back together - liquid gasket on mating surfaces.

Read all above suggestions for piping the carb up & every variation thereof....but back to the same problem - this time though whilst running on choke only - when using the throttle now the engine starts to stall - obviously upset something.

Anyway I am out of steam - do I just buy a new carb?

4 weeks now trying to get the car to idle without choke....

Si

#47 Bradshaw-s

Bradshaw-s

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Anyone have a known working HIF38 set up for a 998cc for sale?? 

Just want this pain to end..... :o)

Si

#48 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

I have a HS4 that was wording 2 months ago(then I installed twin carbs 3:) )

#49 Bradshaw-s

Bradshaw-s

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:07 PM   Best Answer

OK Guys...not sure if anyone wants to know the outcome?....but here goes!

Brand new (not reconditioned) HIF38...managed to pick up a FZX 1413 (without the additional 'economy' pipes)  from Ebay for £235

Anyway changed the needle & spring - hey presto no more idling problems & runs great - just need to play with the mixture & timing - but basically was drivable within minutes of fitting.

I believe the old carb was faulty from the start, even with the service kit installed - mainly because the dashpot fitted very easily on the carb body - the new one is such a tight fit - leads me to think that it was a mish mash of parts & would have struggled with it whatever I did - at last I know it wasn't an issue with the fitting/gaskets/manifolds :o)

Problem solved - but not totally satisfied as I would have liked to have known what the issue was with the carb exactly....but happy (even tho £235 lighter)

I would like to thank everyone for their help - but I was at the end of my tether so bought a new carb - I was confident enough that I had executed everyones ideas thoroughly...I am just glad it was the carb, no doubt you guys would have found it quickly - but this was my first mini...lesson learnt!

Si

Edited by Bradshaw-s, 16 October 2014 - 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users