#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

My first '65 Mk1 Morris Mini-Minor (Tweed Grey) shown here in 1974 before and.......just after I had 'upgraded' the badges, door mirrors, grille and rear lights to Mk3, fitted 'Tilling' winding windows, smoke tinted glass, rear wiper, roof aerial, some 6x10 Mambas with 165 Goodyear Rally Specials, centre exit exhaust and new reflective numberplates + wiper aerofoils !  :mrcool:

Note also my 'period' flared jeans and British Leyland badged Rally Jacket.....still have hair but not quite so long.  :lol:

65Mini-1_zpsa6ab4d1d.jpg

65Mini-2_zps49e05b61.jpg

65Mini-3_zps7554d5bc.jpg

65Mini-4_zps9efd7961.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 13 October 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,803 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

A couple of years later this was my second Mini a '67 Mk 1 (not found many photos of this one yet), now upgraded to 998cc eng/box from a Mk3 write off and with many other bits transferred over from my previous '65 Mini which had rusty sills, rear subframe and failing Hydrolastic plus some accident damage to the front end. Sprayed black in my dad's single garage by my brothers and I with black 'shadowlite' glass, W&P nudge bars and a Webasto sunroof from a Triumph Herald. Scrapyards were full of Heralds with sunroofs so we used to remove them recover vinyl and refurbish as required and them fit them to many different cars for friends and family (if they were brave enough to have the the hole cut).

67-Mini-3_zpsa5598ece.jpg

67Mini-1_zpscf67981b.jpg

67-Mini-2_zps09249514.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 15 October 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#3 Adventure Time

Adventure Time

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

dat playboy bunny.

know where either of them are now ?  ^_^

#4 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

Aaaggghhhhh, the good old days, i did the same to my Mk1 Austin mini 850, sorry but no pics as a camera was more expensive than a used Mk1 in those days !!!!!!!!

#5 mininuts

mininuts

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Clan

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:09 AM

Great pics!
Loving the rally jacket, they were the thing to have weren't they?

#6 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

Nice pics Martin!

#7 Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

I love old photos like those. There's always something interesting in the background that meant nothing at the time it was taken, like the blue Mk3 Cortina. I'd love to own an original one of those today...

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,803 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

I love old photos like those. There's always something interesting in the background that meant nothing at the time it was taken, like the blue Mk3 Cortina. I'd love to own an original one of those today...

The blue Mk3 Cortina in the driveway was a K reg rare 2 door GT model and was owned by my brother, you can also just see his yellow Mini 7 racer behind sitting on a trailer in my parents front garden!

The Mk2 Cortina in the road was my Dad's and the Capri was my Mum's....as their garage was full of our Minibits, engines, gearboxes, etc. :D

Edited by mab01uk, 15 October 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#9 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

Just checked your profile mab01uk and you're about eight months older than me. How were you driving in 1974??

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,803 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

Just checked your profile mab01uk and you're about eight months older than me. How were you driving in 1974??

Well spotted! :-)

The profile age is wrong I'm actually a couple of years older than a '59 Mini.....I usually avoid putting my exact dob in online profiles as it is used in many id security checks.

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

If you want a laugh from 1974 here I am (on the right) with the 'works' Datsun 240z I used to co-drive/navigate with my buddy Kevin Videan. We are in Scotland at the start of the Jim Clarke National Rally. To think my son was a few months old when this was taken and now he is a 40-year old design consultant working in F1. How time flies when you are having fun. I bought my first Mini in 1963.

th_Kevin_Videan__Peter_Valentine_at_the_

And, oh how we change! Here I am with two famous rallying friends taken last September in France on a Sunbeam Tiger tour. The lady on the left is one of only 4 ladies ever to win an international rally outright (in an Imp by the way). I was navigating the blue Tiger with the California number plates with my best buddy who also owns a Cooper 'S' 1071 in California.

th_062_zpscaaefdf3.jpg

#12 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

My first '65 Mk1 Morris Mini-Minor (Tweed Grey) shown here in 1974 before and.......just after I had 'upgraded' the badges, door mirrors, grille and rear lights to Mk3, fitted 'Tilling' winding windows, smoke tinted glass, rear wiper, roof aerial, some 6x10 Mambas with 165 Goodyear Rally Specials, centre exit exhaust and new reflective numberplates + wiper aerofoils !  :mrcool:

Note also my 'period' flared jeans and British Leyland badged Rally Jacket.....still have hair but not quite so long.  :lol:

65Mini-1_zpsa6ab4d1d.jpg

65Mini-2_zps49e05b61.jpg

65Mini-3_zps7554d5bc.jpg

65Mini-4_zps9efd7961.jpg

A couple of years later this was my second Mini a '67 Mk 1 (not found many photos of this one yet), now upgraded to 998cc eng/box from a Mk3 write off and with many other bits transferred over from my previous '65 Mini which had rusty sills, rear subframe and failing Hydrolastic plus some accident damage to the front end. Sprayed black in my dad's single garage by my brothers and I with black 'shadowlite' glass, W&P nudge bars and a Webasto sunroof from a Triumph Herald. Scrapyards were full of Heralds with sunroofs so we used to remove them recover vinyl and refurbish as required and them fit them to many different cars for friends and family (if they were brave enough to have the the hole cut).

67-Mini-3_zpsa5598ece.jpg

67Mini-1_zpscf67981b.jpg

67-Mini-2_zps09249514.jpg

its funny how back then people where doing thier minis to make them look like a newer mk3. grill, lights, number plates, etc, but now  its totally the opposite! mk1 styling on everything from a beauty of a 70's mk3 to modern day mpi coopers.

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

Yes, in the early '70's it was not uncommon to fit the then-new Mk.2 rear lights to Mk.1's as the Mk.1 rears are very small and hard to see when dirty.

As you say, a lot of owners are seeking the 'retro' look. Guess it's because the Mini is such a classic icon and they want to reflect the Mini as it originally was.

#14 B7TMW

B7TMW

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

Do I also spy chrome Cooper door glass trims and Vanden Plas headlight bezels? 

Most of these mods I had on my old 66 Mk1 as well. Mk3 black grill (although I always wanted the grille that had the spots cut into it), Mk 3 rear lights, VP headlight trims dressing a pair of cibie halogen conversion units etc.

I also had a Mk3 bootlid and the WP wood dash that I picked up at the '82 Twycross Zoo meet for £15. I also had a sundym (sp) windscreen and 998 out of a late Mk2 that failed it's MOT at the garage I was working at.

My one and only Mini that I sold in 83 for a Fiat Mirafiori. I've only logged on here as I've got the mid life crises to build an old school screamer.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,803 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Do I also spy chrome Cooper door glass trims and Vanden Plas headlight bezels? 

Most of these mods I had on my old 66 Mk1 as well. Mk3 black grill (although I always wanted the grille that had the spots cut into it), Mk 3 rear lights, VP headlight trims dressing a pair of cibie halogen conversion units etc.

I also had a Mk3 bootlid and the WP wood dash that I picked up at the '82 Twycross Zoo meet for £15. I also had a sundym (sp) windscreen and 998 out of a late Mk2 that failed it's MOT at the garage I was working at.

My one and only Mini that I sold in 83 for a Fiat Mirafiori. I've only logged on here as I've got the mid life crises to build an old school screamer.

Cooper door glass trims and Vanden Plas headlight rims were fitted and sought after at any trip to the breakers on a Sat or Sunday morning! :lol:

1982 Twycross Zoo meeting pics here:-

http://www.theminifo...2-twycross-zoo/

Edited by mab01uk, 02 February 2015 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users