9 replies to this topic

#1 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:43 PM

I have just fitted a Metro engine into my 1971 mini and need to connect the heater to it. The mini had the heater valve on the top of the cylinder head (front left corner as you stand in front of it) whereas the metro one was contained in the heater.

The Metro head has an indent where the water would flow through the valve, but no markings for mounting - has anyone drilled this out on a head as this is what I am thinking of doing - drill the indent out, drill and tap a couple of mounting holes.

If there is a better way to do this please let me know.

Cheers

Andy

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

Thats exactly how i'm doing it on mine

#3 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:25 PM

yeah thats what i had to do, just make sure you drill a hole big enough for the water to flow through and it'll be sorted.

#4 Sfanatic

Sfanatic

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

Make the hole 1/2" diameter and it'll be fine. It's a really good mod to do on all Minis as you do need to get water to that end of the head.

#5 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:46 PM

I thought it would be fine, but it is always reassuring to know someone else has doen the same and it has worked.

Thanks guys :grin:

#6 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:39 AM

I did it too on my MG 1300 but the stud holes were allready tapped , I just drilled the water hole . and dont forget to use a magnet on a stick to get the swarf out of the head :grin:

#7 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:32 AM

Am I the only one that uses the metro heater water outlet on the other side of the head, where the thermostat is?

I just have the top hose going to the radiator and under it i have another outlet for the heater hose...

#8 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:56 PM

Yep you are the only one :D the mini sytem is better as with the metro set up you can get overheating of the no4 cylinder, not a problem on the metro with its bigger rad and header tank set up .

#9 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:58 PM

I did it too on my MG 1300 but the stud holes were allready tapped , I just drilled the water hole . and dont forget to use a magnet on a stick to get the swarf out of the head  :grin:

I think the last head it had on (which was from a 1275 metro) had the bolt holes ready but no water hole. This head from a 998 metro doesn't have the noles at all. I have fitted the complete 998 engine by the way, I'm not putting a small bore head on a large bore block!

#10 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:11 PM

Well my mini never gets past halfway on the temp gauge (and yes it works fine), has rusty waterways, no thermostat, and a really dodgy radiator... so the system works :D

Never had problems with number 4 cylinder either.

Besides, im putting in a metro radiator anyway :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users