Photo

Podifold - The Blow Through Supercharger Manifold.

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#76 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

How will this affect carb users? As I wasn't planning on injection were I to get one of these!

#77 OfMini&Men

OfMini&Men

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

putting the injectors right where the inlet ports are might help quite alot, the MPI manifold was best manifold rover ever designed for the mini.

you want to pop on turbo mini's those lads know alot about forced induction and running injection

#78 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

We'll have to wait and see with regard to carbs. I've spoken to HUBBA.HUBBA about this and he's going to carry on with his installation. He's in a good position to test it having converted from a running suck through set-up.

I got the new casting back this week and got it machined up today.  Very happy with how it turned out. There's plenty of room at the back for the injectors in their new position.

I'm hoping to get it all back together this week and back on the dyno as soon as possible.

podifold_new_injector_01.jpg

podifold_new_injector_02.jpg

podifold_new_injector_03.jpg

Edited by podifold, 10 January 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#79 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:46 PM

I wonder how the heat is going to effect the fuel won't one runner be a lot hotter than the other?

Where is your wide band located?

#80 OfMini&Men

OfMini&Men

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:44 AM

New casting looks a bit more promising to run with Injection now, looks near enough same distance away from the ports as SC 5 port efi kit effectively making a WET manifold system.

But If I was you, I'd be making a heat shield to sit under the manifold and then either have the Exhaust manifold Ceramic coated or at least wrapped just to help in that area with the heat soak.

http://www.zircotec.com/ < they offer it 

#81 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

Following this very closely, definitely thinking of purchasing if it provides better power than suck through setups.

#82 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:18 PM

Whats the progress on this?  I saw this picture on instagram and it looks like things have changed a lot...

10554021_1570913336520003_319581922_n.jp

https://instagram.co...ken-by=podifold

#83 OfMini&Men

OfMini&Men

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

Looks like hes cracked it now (Y)

Blow through supercharged set ups are a nightmare but good on Podifold to keep at it (y)

#84 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

If the kit is complete and looks like that, I may be tempted!

Edited by Steve220, 03 April 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#85 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

Yup, big changes here at Podifold HQ.

I'm working on a new manifold that mounts a 52mm throttle body to the intake side of the supercharger and, along with some modifications to the existing manifold, allows the use of a stock BMW Mini by-pass valve in place of a dump valve.

The new configuration is as near as possible identical to how BMW did things. The reasons are:

1. Smoother running. Without going into a long explanation theres an issue running an atmospheric dump valve with the current fuel injected system that causes the engine to momentarily run lean when the throttle is increased (n.b. this wouldn't be a problem with the carb set-up though).
  2. Supercharger whine's awesome until it's your daily drive and it's screaming at you constantly on the motorway! I'm hoping this'll quieten it down a bit.
  3. I can do away with the ridiculous bonnet bulge I have at the moment for the air filter.
  4. The new manifold and throttle body combination allows an IACV (Intake Air Control Valve) to be fitted to help with cold starts and maintaining a steady idle.

Things are going really well but the design's already changed slightly from that last picture as the throttle body/air filter need to be mounted even lower to clear a standard bonnet. Coming up with a complete package that'll fit in a round nose without any major bodywork or ancillary changes has always been the biggest challenge. 

#86 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

I wonder how the heat is going to effect the fuel won't one runner be a lot hotter than the other?

Where is your wide band located?

It's a good point that I don't really know how to answer. Unfortunately I've just got the one wideband sensor located after the y-piece under the floor so gets the combined AFR of all four cylinders. Sparks plugs are fairly consistant across all four when removed though.

#87 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:42 PM

If the kit is complete and looks like that, I may be tempted!

I've managed to source a few components lately that might mean I can supply this as more of a complete kit than just the manifolds if that's what people want.

#88 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

Any change in casting for carb use? It's very tempting.

#89 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

Not exactly. 

The raw casting as it comes back from the foundry has provisions for both carb and injection use. How it's then machined determines it's final use. So for carb users, although the main casting will look slightly different now, it still functions in exactly the same way.

I'm still waiting to find out how well it performs with a carb though.

As a side note, a carb manifold could be converted to an injection manifold at a later date, but not the other way around. All will be revealed soon.

#90 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

As a potential customer, I'd be more interested in a kit than just a manifold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users