Photo

Podifold - The Blow Through Supercharger Manifold.

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#106 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

Once I've got it working the way I want it to I'll be finding out what people want in terms of a kit.

I'm still using the SC throttle body right now but this new set of manifolds does away with it and uses the 52mm MG one instead.

#107 buddylove

buddylove

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Has any progress been made on this?

#108 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, I'm still working on things.

The issue I've got is that because I'm really trying to stick to my original plan of making a kit that doesn't need any major changes to the bodywork or the position of existing equipment it leaves me very restricted in terms of how I can fit so much into such a small space.

Fitting the BMW bypass valve and connecting it to the inlet manifold has been a challenge. The way I had things originally meant that there was no way an off the shelf silicone bend could be made to fit. I did make a forming mandrel myself to have a custom made pipe connect the two but the silicone hose company I sent it to tried a couple of times and said it was just too tight a bend to make reliably.

podifold_pipe.jpg

Unfortunately It's meant major changes to the design of the inlet manifold, which is just really time consuming. The main pattern's done now though and we're just working on modifying the core box to match. After that it can all go back to the foundry to get a new casting done.

Edited by podifold, 10 January 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#109 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

Wow, keep up the good work!  Is the carb version being redesigned as well?

#110 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

There's two carb manifolds out there with people now, I'm just waiting for feedback from them before I know what, if any, changes need to be made.

#111 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

Might just come in here and say that i have one of he carb manifolds and so far my Podifold is installed and ive had the car running with the charger, intercooler and BOV installed. Apart from a fuel leak on the carb that needs sorting it ran spot on to say it was the first time i started it haha.
When i've sorted the fuel leak i'll post up some photos and video.
As far as the manifold goes, it's a piece of art to say the least!!

#112 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Is there any sort of noticeable performance increase with it?  Would be nice to see before and after number with running a standard supercharger setup vs one with the Podifold manifold.

#113 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

I honestly can't say on mine as of yet as i havent had it to a rolling road until its running something like. My power figure with a suck through setup on the same engine was 110bhp @ the fly.

#114 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:43 PM

Keep at it Jon. My PUP is destined to have a blower...

FS

#115 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

Might just come in here and say that i have one of he carb manifolds and so far my Podifold is installed and ive had the car running with the charger, intercooler and BOV installed. Apart from a fuel leak on the carb that needs sorting it ran spot on to say it was the first time i started it haha.

You kept that quiet! You can't have had many issues with the installation - I haven't heard a word from you! Seriously looking forward to some pictures and feedback.

Is there any sort of noticeable performance increase with it?  Would be nice to see before and after number with running a standard supercharger setup vs one with the Podifold manifold.

If there was no performance increase at all I'd still be happy if people found it to be more drivable and smoother running with less of the issues found with other kits, such as carb icing, fuel leaking out of the air filter, poor MPG and the teflon coating being stripped off the rotors.

#116 pickmeup

pickmeup

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Minis

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hey jon, some really good engineering involved! 

have you looked at using 3d printed / cast polyamide-nylon materials instead of silicon hoses? A company I've been working with here in Germany does a lot of protoytping parts that can be used under hood, all the OEMs use them. Could be another option?

http://www.igwmbh.de...charge-air.html

Im now thinking something like this could be entertaining for my marcos, as I still have a M45 charger left from my MX5 conversion I didn't finish and a low mileage metty 1275. But of course the pickup is priority :)

#117 buddylove

buddylove

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

You kept that quiet! You can't have had many issues with the installation - I haven't heard a word from you! Seriously looking forward to some pictures and feedback.

If there was no performance increase at all I'd still be happy if people found it to be more drivable and smoother running with less of the issues found with other kits, such as carb icing, fuel leaking out of the air filter, poor MPG and the teflon coating being stripped off the rotors.

At the same time though, with a lot of these issues resolved, you could run more boost, coupled with the easier installation with an intercooler.  My biggest hesitation with installing a supercharger is the major decrease in MPG, so if that gets improved with this as well, that would be awesome. 

#118 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

Is the Teflon stripping from the rotors an issue with the fuel or the heat? From my research and experience I'm leaning towards heat.

#119 Chappb

Chappb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

Just been for a quick blast in the mini again, having a bit of a closer look at everything this time. I'm sure it seems faster than the blow through installation and it runs absolutely spot on with the same needle i had in when it was suck through. Temp is good, no misfires or knocking, pulls like an absolute train after 3k , but i'm scratching my head as to why i've lost boost pressure? I had the same Stack boost gauge in when it was suck through witht the same charger and it used to boost to 10psi, it now only manages to get to 6psi. At first i thought boost leak but honestly all pipes and intercooler connections seem sound....i'm thinking now would it be something to do with the amount of pipework that is now installed and its having a pressure drop through it all?? Can anyone shine a light on this?

Also my Tial 50mm BOV seems to be operating fine, dumping air when letting off throttle, staying shut when idling and staying shut when on load/accelerating. But the thing is the spring is wrong in the BOV......i've been told by the previous owner that the one fitted is -11.00 to give -18in/hg to -20in/hg of vacuum but the supercharger spring is obviously different to that, would it affect anything being a different spring because as far as i can see it seems to be operating fine??

Any help very much appreciated, but other than those small issues everything seems bang on! Again no issues with podifold at all :) very happy overall

I'm gonna put a few photos up of the installation if i can so you can see, cheers!!
Ben.

Attached Files

#120 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:16 PM

Iirc you will loose pressure running through the intercooler. Have a search on Turbominis I'm sure there is a small reported loss of boost, when using a intercooler?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users