#1 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hi folks,

Just after a wee opinion here. Just recently got a Jap import 1992 Spi cooper. Car seems to go pretty well, but I feel it's a bit underpowered compared to my other mini which is a 1995 Spi cooper (currently half welded in my garage..). I replaced the plugs a couple of hundred miles ago, and noticed the old plugs were more white / grey than grey / brown. Checked the new ones tonight, and they look like they are going to end up pretty much the same. I get the feeling it might be a bit lean? only very slight sooting on the tailpipe too even after a good blast, and when idling it smells like fresh air coming out the exhaust. it idles beautifully and revs lovely and smooth, just feels a bit slow, and when you give it more throttle it just seems to get louder but not accelerate any harder (if that makes sense).

No.4 is a little more brownish, as it was with the old plugs I took out. The old plugs were NGK BP6ES and I replaced these with BPR6ES which I believe is right for the car.

I'm going to have a look for any air leaks, check the O2 sensor output / heater relay etc. but just wondered if anyone else had any opinions (see pics below of no.4 and no.2 plugs) based on the pics of the plugs - sorry, these are the new ones - old ones are in the boot and the car is covered, didnt fancy taking the cover off tonight as it's quite windy out there ! But I can assure you that the colour of the deposits is the same on the old ones, just theres more of them!

No.4

20141020_202329_zps196dfc29.jpg

No.2

20141020_202523_zpsf261fc16.jpg

By the way, I can't compare the plugs from my other mini, as it was runnin rich as hell the last time it was running, due to a cooling sensor issue, so they are all sooty anyway!

Cheers,

Craig

#2 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

I think they look oK. Very clean and the brownish rim seems oK. I am using NGK instead of the Bosch.

NGK     à  BPR6ES for the SPI best.    Kontaktabstand 0,85 mm

I would check them again after about 5000 km.

NGK BP6ES are definitely wrong!

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

Does look a little lean but not worryingly so. Is the exhaust manifold etc all standard?

If your worried it might be worth getting it plugged into a code reader to get a quick check of some of the sensor readings.

Usually the problem with SPis is running rich as you know....

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 21 October 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#4 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

Looks exactly like mine did when standard and still the same after a stage 1 kit and stage 3 head

#5 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

These are burning correctly. It feels slow because the A series engine needs an overrich mixture to develop the best power.

These are slightly lean for the cooper spi which usually runs rich, test the lambda sensor and inspect for air leaks (although these will cause uneven idle and sawwing under acceleration)

#6 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

Great guys. Thanks for the feedback. Glad that nobody thinks they are way too lean, that was my main concern. I will still check everything out though, as I do reckon it's a bit lean and could do with a little more go juice!

Incidentally, any idea why no.4 is noticably 'browner' than the other 3?

Flying Scot -  dunno if you realise it's Craig from the Clan, we were chatting on the TR cheque run about our Jap minis..  To answer your question, it's all standard bar the PlayMini exhaust (that you answered a question about on the miniclan forum earlier.. :lol:   )

I was going to ask you about code readers anyway, as I know you are the man for this topic!

Cheers

Craig

Edited by carlukemini, 21 October 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#7 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hey Craig! PM me on here or Clan and we can sort out getting it plugged in to check for faults.

We passed close to my house on the TR cheque run at "murder ma brush" :lol:

FS

#8 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Incidentally, any idea why no.4 is noticably 'browner' than the other 3?

Choked up as you stopped the engine. To make sure, go for a ride, stop the engine and test again.

#9 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

Have a look on this page and you can compare the results with NGK pictures and explanations.

http://ngksparkplugs...aqs/faqread.asp

#10 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

OK, so I have now been running the car for about 2,500 miles and thought I would post new pics of my plugs, just to see if people still think they are OK. I have sorted out a few niggles on the engine, so wondered what peeps thought:

20150423_214455_zpszsl0ukzi.jpg

20150423_212649_zpsqo2tvfkg.jpg

20150423_212207_zpsq3hojc0l.jpg

20150423_212150_zpsmqtxztao.jpg

Edited by carlukemini, 23 April 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#11 hungdynasty

hungdynasty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

10676208_10155065851270335_5987603785434

Hi, mine 98 Japan spec, new plugs after 3000 km, exactly the same as your, I was wondering if mine was running lean.

Edited by hungdynasty, 21 May 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#12 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

Hi Hungdynasty. That's re-assuring (either that or we both have a lean problem.. :D  )  How do you like the Japanese mini? Are there alot of them over there ? 

#13 hungdynasty

hungdynasty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

Carluke here in Hong Kong we import a lot of Japan spec SPI from Japan, they are sidemounted radiator with MPI block, that's why we always mess up parts, I ordered a lot of wrong parts from Minispares actually. 

#14 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:54 PM

I had heard about that later engine setup. Must make things a little tricky when selecting parts!

#15 bottledfish

bottledfish

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

This is a really interesting topic, i recently changed my spark plugs for the first time as this is my first mini and had it just under a year now. And they look like this picture attached. Attached File  spark plug.jpg   29.4K   13 downloads They are a little browner on the tips than yours, but really sooty/blackened on the bit that looks almost white on yours. Is this normal? and if not what does it mean, and can i change it?

Cheers,

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users