4 replies to this topic

#1 Sav154

Sav154

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Hi I'm relatively new to the mini world, I'm looking at fitting a new dash with all new gauges 3+3 I'm thinking 1) Speedo 2) Tachometer (revs) 3) Oil pressure 4) Water temp 5) Clock (time) 6)?? Not sure what, volts, vac or amps just looking through the forum not many people have good things to say about amps so thinking of staying clear of that one, you opinions would be appreciated and any other options welcomed p.s the speedo I'm looking at has a fuel gauge iv not forgotten it :-)

#2 Ocado Man

Ocado Man

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

Oil pressure is always the first to install. (You can get the oil pressure & water temp as a dual gauge). I would personally go for battery condition rather than amps. 

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:56 AM

p.s the speedo I'm looking at has a fuel gauge iv not forgotten it :-)

Gauge selection is largely a personal choice.  I do agree that an oil pressure gauge is one to add if your car doesn't have one already.

Since you have selected a speedometer and you say it includes a fuel gauge... is this an electronic speedometer/computer or a traditional cable driven Smiths type unit?  If the speedometer is electronic, make sure you select a sending unit to support it.  I cannot remember the name at the moment but if you search this web site for old threads on speedometer sending units you will find a couple that are compatible with the Mini gearbox.  

Beyond the speedometer, you mentioned the fuel gauge.  Again, if you have selected a non-Smiths speedometer make sure that its fuel gauge can work with the Smiths sending unit.  The Mini sending unit has a nominal range of about 270 Ohms = Empty to 30 Ohms = Full.   That's "nominal".  The readings can be all over the place around that range (say +/- 15 or 20 Ohms).  The closest industry-standard range would be for 240 Ohms = Empty to 33 Ohms = Full.  If the speedometer you selected can accept that resistance range or if your aftermarket gauge is programmable... your selection will work.  If the aftermarket speedometer/fuel gauge is expecting another range, you will need a converter such as those sold by Spiyda Design.  (Google for them if it appears you will need their Wizard product).

#4 Sav154

Sav154

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hi thanks for the reply, I'm looking to get all smiths clocks matching this is the speedo I'm looking at, the description is not all too clear but presume it's just a standard part, but as I said I'm new to it all so could be wrong
http://www.minispare...0/13H4442MG.jpg

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

OK, that's a standard Smiths type speedometer so the fuel gauge supplied with it will work properly as long as your car was made after 1965.  Minis made before 1965 used a different gauge technology.

Since this is a mechanical speedometer you need to look carefully at your existing gauge and the one you plan on buying.  The magnolia faced speedometer linked to above is for a 3.44 final drive and probably for 10" wheels.  That would mean it is calibrated for about 1280 turns-per-mile (TPM).  If you look at the black-face version of the gauge linked above (13H4442 ) you will see four digits (1280) at the bottom right corner of the odometer.  That is the TPM number.  For some reason they don't appear to print that on the magnolia face speedometers.

You will need to make sure that the speedometer you currently have uses the same 1280 TPM calibration or the it will not read the correct speed or mileage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users