14 replies to this topic

#1 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'm writing a course on Dementia awareness at the moment. This is a good site if you deal with customers. Just a few little things can make a big difference.

https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

Fantastic!

This is very close to my heart and have had relatives with it.

My Girlfriends Nan has it currently. It's very cruel.

My mum works in a care home where 70% of the residents have it. It is a very difficult job but she loves it and finds it very rewarding although at times very stressful.

She has done many courses and coursework on the subject and has a very good knowledge of it so if you need anything just holler..

Good luck with it

Ben 

#3 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:42 AM

I think the acting in these videos is really good. And I never thought that mirrors and shiny surfaces could confuse someone with dementia but, when you think about it, it makes sense.

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

Are you doing it for work or something?

#5 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Yes. One of my clients are supporting the initiative and want all their staff to be aware. Big thumbs up for East of England Co Op :-)

#6 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

Fantastic news!

One of my Mum's work colleagues runs this -  http://dementiainspired.co.uk/

What is it you do for a job? if you don't mind me asking?

Ben

#7 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

I saw this earlier on but forgot about it  :ph34r:

However, an awesome site that I can relate to having had many elderly relatives affected by the disease before they died.  Makes me proud that I raised over a grand for Alzheimer's Society doing my John O Groats to Lands end trip :)

#8 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

Ben_O, on 21 Oct 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Fantastic news!

One of my Mum's work colleagues runs this -  http://dementiainspired.co.uk/

What is it you do for a job? if you don't mind me asking?

Ben

I write online training/awareness courses :-). Did one for hearing loss earlier in the year. It's amazing how many companies just aren't deaf aware O_O

#9 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

Makes me proud that I raised over a grand for Alzheimer's Society doing my John O Groats to Lands end trip :)

Very Commendable mate.

It is a brilliant cause and affect so many more people than most imagine.

My Mum has worked in the same care home for 30 years and says only a small handful of residents had dementia  in the 80's-90's where as a majority of the residents there have it presently.

I do wonder whether it is becoming more common or it's just that people are more aware and educated about it now. But having said that, My mum has a VHS or a Christmas party held at the home in the early 90's and having watched it now, it is surprising but lovely to see that most of the residents on the tape are up and dancing and joining in where as if you go in there now, they are all confused and many immobile. 

Also watching the Video, the manager that was there at the time is seen on there having a great time and encouraging and engaging all of the residents. She was a wonderful, wonderful person and an exceptional manager.

She is now a resident there with advanced dementia.

I think it's fantastic that the CO-OP are getting involved. people need to be more aware so that they can understand and help those with it. There must be a great many elderly people with Dementia that are still fit and well, going out with no support and getting lost, confused or worse....

Ben

#10 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

Exactly.  My grandfather died when I was 11 and for about 5yrs he had suffered badly from dementia.  I dont remember him as 'him' at all, just the shell he was left as with dementia.  It really affected me to the point I couldnt see him for getting upset, which in turn upset him.  So I didnt see him towards the end which I hate but at the time, it was best for both of us.  Horrible disease that affects way more than just the person who has it.

#11 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

I suppose I've been fortunate that no-one in my family has had it. My mum's neighbour did and it was really heartbreaking. I'd known her as long as I'd been a toddler. She used to babysit my sis and I and used to take us on day trips to Bournemouth. She went from being so active and involved in everything - ran the local bowls club and worked in various charity shops - to this lady that just sat there and laughed at everything because she was so confused and didn't know what was going on or who we were anymore.

These awareness videos are all very well in the perfect world, but, in reality, there are probably many people that would take advantage when someone with dementia tries to hand over fifty pounds for a five pound item and clearly isn't aware of what they're doing. I imagine many more people with dementia could live independently with the disease for a long time - if society as a whole was kind and honest.

Or maybe it is and I've read too much nonsense in the Daily Mail :D

#12 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Exactly.  My grandfather died when I was 11 and for about 5yrs he had suffered badly from dementia.  I dont remember him as 'him' at all, just the shell he was left as with dementia.  It really affected me to the point I couldnt see him for getting upset, which in turn upset him.  So I didnt see him towards the end which I hate but at the time, it was best for both of us.  Horrible disease that affects way more than just the person who has it.

Totally agree, my grandmother had alzheimer's disease and it killed her within a year.

One day we went to visit her and she mistook me for someone from the war. That was the first sign of it. Once we corrected her she understood and then repeated it all again 5 minutes later and continued to do so until we left.

She started to go to a daycare centre but we had to stop taking her because she would refuse to get out of the Taxi when it bought her home claiming she didn't live there. One time she was in the cab for over 2 hours.

Eventually she went into a nursing home where it deteriorated even further in a very short space of time. when we went to visit her, we had to trick her so we could leave which was absolute hell but we had to because she would get hysterical when we told her we had to go.

I, like you Andrew had to stop visiting her because i couldn't cope with it. I wish now that i had done but like you say, it was easier for us both to not.

I never saw her again after that last visit which still haunts me now 12 years on.

Ben

#13 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

I suppose I've been fortunate that no-one in my family has had it. My mum's neighbour did and it was really heartbreaking. I'd known her as long as I'd been a toddler. She used to babysit my sis and I and used to take us on day trips to Bournemouth. She went from being so active and involved in everything - ran the local bowls club and worked in various charity shops - to this lady that just sat there and laughed at everything because she was so confused and didn't know what was going on or who we were anymore.

These awareness videos are all very well in the perfect world, but, in reality, there are probably many people that would take advantage when someone with dementia tries to hand over fifty pounds for a five pound item and clearly isn't aware of what they're doing. I imagine many more people with dementia could live independently with the disease for a long time - if society as a whole was kind and honest.

My dad was telling me recently that he got the Bus to Asda. The bus stops about 600 yards from the shop. An old lady got off the bus at the same time and asked him where Asda was. as he was going there, he offered to walk with her and did so.

At that point, he didn't notice anything wrong with her but when he as walking back to the bus stop after shopping, he saw her wandering around so asked if she was ok. she asked him where the bus stop was so he duly walked her there. while they were sitting waiting for the bus she asked him if he liked the fresh fruit she had bought for her grandchildren. She opened her bag and he looked inside. The bag was empty.

He went along with it and ended up going well out of his way to stay on the bus with her for 8 miles to her stop and then made sure she got to her front door.

I was really proud of him when he told me

#14 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

My dad was telling me recently that he got the Bus to Asda. The bus stops about 600 yards from the shop. An old lady got off the bus at the same time and asked him where Asda was. as he was going there, he offered to walk with her and did so.

At that point, he didn't notice anything wrong with her but when he as walking back to the bus stop after shopping, he saw her wandering around so asked if she was ok. she asked him where the bus stop was so he duly walked her there. while they were sitting waiting for the bus she asked him if he liked the fresh fruit she had bought for her grandchildren. She opened her bag and he looked inside. The bag was empty.

He went along with it and ended up going well out of his way to stay on the bus with her for 8 miles to her stop and then made sure she got to her front door.

Good on your dad. Nice one. It would be nice to think her family would be grateful. The Government really need to look at just who is "vulnerable" in our society. I'm tired of deviant crime-ridden families being classed as "vulnerable" when they couldn't be further from it. People with dementia are genuinely vulnerable.

#15 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

Good on your dad. Nice one. It would be nice to think her family would be grateful. The Government really need to look at just who is "vulnerable" in our society. I'm tired of deviant crime-ridden families being classed as "vulnerable" when they couldn't be further from it. People with dementia are genuinely vulnerable.

My girlfriends Nan is confused most of the time but but we won't give up on her and she lives with her daughter(gf's mum) full time. Its hard work but the good days make it worthwhile.

She has vascular dementia following a series of mini strokes.

She want's for nothing and has and is given everything she needs 24/7.

Social services tried to take her away and put her in a home because they say she can't get the level of care she needs at home.

What a joke! What care home is going to give her 24 hour attention? They are run beyond capacity all of the time anyway.

Also because she has Dementia, social services tried to get power of attorney and take control of all of her finances. Their reason was that she can't do it herself and too many families taking care of elderly relatives at home steal money from them.

Its an absolute pisstake, her family is dedicated to her care and would do NOTHING like that and it's disgusting that social services would tar everyone with that brush but it goes to show they have concerns about these situations and those concerns must have come about because of this happening.

It's DISGUSTING to steal from anyone, let alone a vunerable old person that either has no idea what is going on or trusts you with your reasons for wanting the money.

It needs sorting because it's not on

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users