Photo

Spi Mini Wont Open Injector To Fuel Car

Best Answer WoodlandsMini , 05 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

Replacement injector with a used one and now solved :)

Scraped through emissions test

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MikeLarry

MikeLarry

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

SPI injector wont open

I have a 95 mini sidewalk 1.3i spi i have now been trying for over 4 months to get it to start again after i had a several wires short out to the chassis.

First i repaired the wires and still no luck found that i had actually burnt out brown wire going to coil repaied this and now i can get the car to turn over

Main relay was replaced as thought this was the cause of origanly the car not turning over

crank sensor has been replaced as i thought this may be the cause of my injector not opening

i have sent the injector off to be tested and was returned stating that it operates without any problems

i get fuel if the injector is removed, the car will start if i pour fuel into the carb (throtel body)

i replaced the ecu wiring loom even though id checked it as i get 5 v at injector but not the inital current to open the injector

Just sent the ecu off to be analised and its been returned fully functioning as expected.

i measured the throttle potentiometer cant remember readingds now but operated as expected too

the stepper motor im not so hot on knolage with but it does the clicking that ive read its ment to do so belive its working

My imobiliser clicks the dash light will blink quick slow and swich off

I am now at a complete loss as to what i need to be checking next

I have looked through loads of forums and tried my best but i just seem to be getting no where but losing my hair

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

First of all, can you hear the fuel pump priming, when you first turn the key...

Getting fuel may be not your problem, getting fuel at the correct pressure for the injector to work might be...

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

Moved to injection section.

FS

#4 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

Do they have fuel cutoff reset switches in the engine bay? I thought they did so in the event of a crash the fuel supply stops if so you should be able to reset it and fire it up. (if that's the problem).

#5 Phil-R

Phil-R

Formally known as chrome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

i get 5 v at injector but not the inital current to open the injector

5V sounds odd. I Would have expected 12V.

#6 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

When I shorted out some wiring on mine (it was the wiring next to the black relay pack - it chafed and shorted out on the clutch master cylinder pipework) it actually burned out some tracks on the circuit board inside the relay pack. When you say that you replaced the main relay, did you replace this black relay pack ? Or did you open it up and replace the main relay inside?  If you have not touched this relay pack, then you may have some issues with burned tracks or damaged relays inside it. It is 'sealed' but basically its a circuit board which slides inside a cover, then they put some sealant on it. You can carefully use a stanley knife or similar to cut round the sealed end then slide the board out and inspect it.

I repaired the burned tracks by using pieces of wire and soldering them across the gap in the broken tracks.

EDIT - re reading your post I see you say that it will run if you squirt fuel in, so that means that the coil is being driven, which will only happen if the ECU is happy with the signal from the crank sensor. Also the fact that you say fuel comes out of the feed pipe when the injector is removed, suggests that the fuel pump is running - can you hear it run? does it sound normal or strangled?

On reflection then some thoughts : Maybe the injector is faulty ( are you confident that the people who tested it did it in accordance with the way the mini ECU would operate it?),

Maybe there is a problem with your pump? Could the fuel filter be blocked?

Wiring problem with the 12V supplied to the injector?

Or could it be an issue with the earth being given to the injector by the ECU to drive it - this is how it works, the ECU switches the earth to the injector. When you measure 5V, where are you taking your negative ?  is it for example a good earth point on the body / engine, or is it at the injector wiring / connector?  You could have an issue with either of the wires which drive the injector - either the positive side or the earth side from the ECU.

Cheers

Craig

Edited by carlukemini, 23 October 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#7 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Local Club: AutoJungle

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Revive this thread, did you get it sorted in the end I have the exactly this issue, fuel pump primes, throttle sensor is fine, and will start if petrol poured in

Traced wiring back from TPS to ECU and read okay (did this because the ACR4 was saying i had a fault with the circuit, since clearing the fault it has not come back on again... nor has the car started!

Using the actuator test on the diagnostic a very faint clicking is heard when you test the injector, but nothing happens... can I put a voltage straight to the injector to test this?

#8 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

Have you confirmed that the crank sensor is ok with the acr?

#9 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

Have you confirmed that the crank sensor is ok with the acr?

I'll double check this evening... I think I tried all... but will check this evening

#10 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:52 PM

Am I right in thinking that I need to test the engine RPM from the menu? I couldnt see a crankshaft sensor test on the ACR4

#11 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

There's no test as such but it will be part of the live data confirming there's a signal from the crank sensor, should just say GOOD if I remember right

#12 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

Cant seem to find that... interesting!

I will take another look, I have ordered a new sensor as well as full wiring including ECU and alarm and a new injector to try before swapping everything, determined to make it to the show next weekend :)

Wish me luck!

#13 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

Did you resolve this?

FS

#14 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:30 PM   Best Answer

#15 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the update. I guess this is something we also need to think about - the performance of the bits that the FI system controls.

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users