Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

Hello

Just interested if i can turbo my current 1380 NA engine

Basic spec

1380 with 73.5mm pistons with 11cc dish

centre main strap, balanced standard rods

current compression ratio 10:69:1

with a stage 4 head

I know the compression ratio needs to be reduced, could a MG metro turbo head be used or mine modified?

Im guessing my current megajoint setup and HIF44 could be used? Im running a swiftune SW10 cam would this need to be changed

Edited by CPC, 24 October 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#2 carts60

carts60

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

Yes, you can turbocharge any A series engine.

Yes, you can use your HIF44, but you would need to modify it with a turbo-rebuilt kit.

You can run an SW10 but it would by no means be the best option.

You will need to modify your head or a spare to suit the compression rate you'll need based on the turbo and levels of boost you plan to use. That and maybe more heavily dished pistons.

You'll also need to consider things like manifold, modifying the bulkhead, turbo options, head studs, gearbox, diff, final drive ratio etc etc etc

head on over to TurboMinis if you're serious

Edited by carts60, 24 October 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#3 kezzkitkat

kezzkitkat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

get your head done(opening the chambers up) costs less that starting with a turbo head as you have 80% of a good head 

the megajolt program will need to be changed as well as a your carb

and probably best to change the cam the response i got on turbominis was the kent 266 would be the best for fast road,however there a few different choices  of cams 

you will need plenum chamber and etc 

also consider what kind of hp you want as well as what  you want your turbo to run at  

higher you go more money you spend as well as things need to be upgrades eg gearbox,diff and etc 

#4 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

essentially all the above is true,

basically you need to frop the compression to around 8.5:1, this may be an issue to do with your head as I suspect it has been skimmed a lot to get it to 10.7:1.  also if you have very big valves this is not ideal as craking will be more likley, biggest I would go for on a turbo is 36:31.

cam wise, the sw 10 will be crap. you need somthing much shorter, around 260-270 degree intake, avoin bar phase2, RE13t, 266, kent 274, MG metro, sw5 are all good choices.

the HIF 44 will ned to be converted to turbo spec, but there are kits available to do this, also it will need a plenum added. the megajolt will be fine as long as it is a MAP version rather than TPS.

#5 CPC

CPC

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for the info..

Sounds like it may be worth building up another engine instead, my Megajolt is a TPS setup aswell so further work required with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users