#1 craigr91

craigr91

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Local Club: nwminiclub

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

Looking for some sort of guide to getting my bare shell to a rolling shell with steering

Inc guides on to when to stone chip and paint certain areas (under arches etc)

Many thank, Craig

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

If you have a look through the projects section on the forum, you will find lots of build diary threads.

You could just have a flick through those and assuming your shell needs no body work, then you could skip to the parts in the diaries where the OP has started to stone chip the shell etc and work from there.

There really is no point in writing up a guide because everything you need to know is within those threads.

Little tip though, when reading through the threads, try and go for the ones that have the most pages and replies as they tend to be the projects that are either nearing completion or are completed so will contain the information that is relevant to you.

Good luck

Ben

#3 craigr91

craigr91

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Brilliant idea! How thick am I :/ haha

#4 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

Little tip though, when reading through the threads, try and go for the ones that have the most pages and replies as they tend to be the projects that are either nearing completion or are completed so will contain the information that is relevant to you.

Ha ha....mine has had loads of views/replies and i've not even started on the body yet!!! Best pull my finger out eh!

Stone chipping - floors, sills, under the arches and right up under the wings. Pretty much anywhere that will get covered in mud, salt, road debis, water.....etc etc.  Also try and seam seal any seams that are likely to allow water in and therefore start to rust.

#5 craigr91

craigr91

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

That's brill but when do I start to but it up on subframe a n wheels etc before or after? I,a start reading some over weekend as it's not far from being ready to paint but want it rolling

#6 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

If the shell doesn't have the subfames fitted yet, then defiantly seal, stone chip and paint BEFORE fitting the frames as this way you will have protection in all of the hidden vunerable areas.

If the frames are on, i would take the time to remove them and do it properly. It's the only way to keep the rust a bay otherwise you will be stripping it and re-doing it 2 years later.

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users