Mike92

Previously known as PoweRMikE.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hi Guys,

The Mini has just developed a cold starting issue - when starting the engine when it's cold, it seems to take a while to start/spark (it turns over pretty quickly), once it's sparked it seems to splutter and then die (as if it's running on a couple of cylinders). After a couple of attempts I am finally able to keep it going long enough (whilst running roughly) to feather the throttle without stalling it and once the revs build up it starts running on all 4 cylinders and then after that it's absolutely fine??

I've checked all the obvious things - battery terminals, new negative battery earth cable and engine earth strap, clean spark plugs, ht leads, distributor cap and rotor arm. 

After that initial cold start the Mini will be absolutely fine for the rest of the day.

Could it be something to do with the starter motor or the ignition coil? If so how would I test them?

Many thanks your time guys! Mike

P.S, it's a 1989 Mini Mayfair, with electronic ignition

Edited by PoweRMikE, 24 October 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#2 mattyglover16

mattyglover16

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

Sometimes I have an issue when starting my 1275 carb mini. Usually as soon as I get in the car I pull the choke out a little and just lightly touch the throttle as the choke as already pulled the pedal down slightly, then a couple of turns and fires up straight away. my choke cable was once full of crap and the effected it. I also have electronic ignition and recently changed the rotor arm, dizzy cap, leads and plugs as the dizzy cap was corroded, it now seems a lot better.

Don't know if this reply helps your or means anything I was just letting you know of my previous experiences :)

#3 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

I had this issue. I just turned the fast idle screw in very slightly and that worked wonders.

#4 Mike92

Mike92

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for that guys, I'll have a look over those parts tomorrow!

#5 pig on the wing

pig on the wing

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

Vacum advance unit sticking or a worn diapghram

#6 Mike92

Mike92

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:04 PM

Vacum advance unit sticking or a worn diapghram

Ahh good point, thanks for that.  :highfive:

#7 Mike92

Mike92

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

Thought I'd post the answer to this thread in case anyone else has this issue - the problem was actually the ballasted pink and white wire that runs to the coil had failed. I couldn't find where the other side of that wire went because the front loom has been redone by the previous owner and made a right mess of it! So I ended up going for a non-ballasted coil and that seemed to have solved the issue  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users