#1 LouisFleet

LouisFleet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hi,
Been gathering goods to run my fuel and brake lines through the cabin. I want to use p clips all the way and have managed to get hold of some stainless 1/4 and 3/16, im guessing i am good to use stainless?

I have my hands on pipe bending and flaring tools, does stainless flare ok?

People say no fuel joins in the cabin, does same apply for brake lines?

Some people use bulkhead fittings that go from pipe on one side of bulkhead to hose on the other, are these fittings allowed? Are they classed as inside or outside the cabin?

Cheers

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

Bulkhead fittings are fine.

No joints in the brake line is tricky if you are planning a bias valve or hydraulic handbrake.....gonna have to have a joint there.  If your not planning on any valves or levers then best practice is to run one long pipe from front to back bulkheads.

Joints in fuel line is just plain dangerous and daft so steer well clear of cutting corners with that.

As for the use of stainless.....not too sure to be honest.  I've used Cupronickel when doing mine.

One question....is this a competition car??

If not, and is an every day-er.....putting fuel pipes inside can be dangerous and alot of people on here frown upon it....just warning you.  

#3 LouisFleet

LouisFleet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Ill go with a straight run on the fuel lines with bulkhead fittings then. I wasnt planning on cutting corners on the fuel to be honest, going to do in one piece with the pipe benders.

What i did want to do was T piece the brake line at the rear of the cabin and bulkhead fitting to each caliper using hose from the fitting. I guess this will be fine.

Hmm im thinking maybe the stainless will be alot harder to flare than cupro...

And this is not an everyday car as i have another car i use everyday, its just a project so far, which will either be weekend car or maybe even track, undecided.

Cheers

#4 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

Ill go with a straight run on the fuel lines with bulkhead fittings then. I wasnt planning on cutting corners on the fuel to be honest, going to do in one piece with the pipe benders.

What i did want to do was T piece the brake line at the rear of the cabin and bulkhead fitting to each caliper using hose from the fitting. I guess this will be fine.

Hmm im thinking maybe the stainless will be alot harder to flare than cupro...

And this is not an everyday car as i have another car i use everyday, its just a project so far, which will either be weekend car or maybe even track, undecided.

Cheers

It is possible (the way i did it) to run the fuel through grommets in the bulkheads to avoid the need for bulkhead fittings....then it is one long piece and all joins are either in the engine bay or under the boot floor.

Brake line - I passed the line through the rear heel panel and then to the standard Tee on the subframe.

To be honest with you - It is a pain to do and only worth doing if you are going to use the car for motorsport - my mini is a rally car hense the need to keep the lines safe. 

It is easier and safer to run the lines in the standard locations.

#5 LouisFleet

LouisFleet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:05 PM

I will have a think on this, thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users