Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:34 PM

hey carl!

£1800 doesn't seem bad initially, but there's a lot of information skimmed over in the description, for example

before the car was painted in had a new wing and any rusty spots were removed

This could mean its been well repaired, but more likely means its been plated to get it through an M.O.T, and M.O.T bodges usually only last a couple of years, as the old rusty metal is never removed, its just covered up by the new plate, which rusts through in double quick time. The quote there also suggests the owner perhaps isn't very mini literate in some respects, so other things might be wrong that he/she simply doesn't know about.

Its only a 1000, which isn't a bad thing of course, a needle, spring, inlet manifold and filter would give it a healthy kick, but its a shame there's no pics of the engine bay. If there was you could get a better idea of the condition, if its nice and clean its good, but more likely it will be dirty, rusty, greasy and needing a good clean (again, not a problem as such, but not good either).

Spotlights are good, alloys are good, but have a look at the tyres. If the wheels were second hand they could have been stood off a car for a while, so look out for perishing around the sidewall and inside the treads of the tyres. Exhaust sounds good, especially if it really is stainless, and the interior seems good too.

Assuming the underneath is good, and the waxoyl isn't trying to close the door after the horse has bolted (ie prevent rust thats already there), then it seems a good buy, and with the re-spray will make a good first car, with a sound base to build on for future mods. Bodywork and subframes are the big things though, as long as they're good you're laughing for £1800. I'd offer £1650 though, see if they'll take that :tongue:

#3 Carl

Carl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:47 PM

i offered him 1500 lol, "no"

oh gooooooo on! "no"

cash in hand? "no"

1600? "no"

"i will swoop to £1800, no lower"

so ive got it down to 1800, im liking it, and that is a brilliant reply Minis84, just what i was looking for. You seem a very helpful and knowledgeable bunch indeed :D
yes a 1 litre is a bonus because it is my first car :D
i may go and look at the car, Wheres roberts when you need him :D he knows more than me :D

any body else have any views on it?
thanks alot minis84

#4 Poo

Poo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:50 PM

pretty much what minis84 said, the text does skim over a lot of stuff and the pics aren't that big so you can't see much detail

However, it's very nice colour (mmmm ford racing blue!!!) and if it was only done up (properly) a year ago it should last ages. As for the engine, save up £150 and bung a stage 1 kit on it :D

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:06 PM

your welcome mate :D hope it helps!

One more thing, if it smells damp when you get in, like the sort of smell when you get in a cellar or an old military aircraft, then avoid it, or at least check under the carpets front and rear for any signs of moisture. Its water under the carpets that never gets chance to dry that absolutely kills the floorpans on minis, particularly the front floorpans and inner sills. Also have a look down inside the companion pockets (the little cubby holes either side of the back seat), take out the bottom liner and have a feel down there for rust, it should be fairly good if its been done recently. Just make sure you don't cut yourself on any sharp sticky-outy bits, and bear in mind waxoyl is quite sticky too so take some wet wipes or something to wash afterwards! :grin:

#6 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:50 AM

if you are that keen, dont mess about on here, go look at the car!....thats the only way you can see how good or bad it is!
to be honest those photos tell you nothing, any car can look nice and shiny from a few feet away, make the effort, go there have a look around at the regular rust spots, see if the work thats been done, has been done well.

#7 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:15 AM

Bluebottles advice seems like a good idea!

If you actually go there and look at it if/when you find bits wrong with it you can then get the price lowered with a reason!

ie Yes asking price seems ok but I will have to spend £xxx to fix xxxxxxx so can we say £xxxx?

#8 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:27 AM

i cant really add any more to what has been said but just make sure before you buy it make sure you check all the areas for rust, that the cars running etc before purchasing as it may be a dodgy car.

#9 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:49 PM

seams a lot of money for an F-reg even if it is tidy. If i were you i'd price up how much it would cost for all the bits he's done to it that you like and see how much it would cost to have them done (or to do yourself). If it was an old f-reg i'd rip his hand off tax exempt, classic insurance............ but a 1988 cooper imitation with a standard thou in it i think i'd be more inclined to buy a real cooper with my 1800 or sumat rarer.

Havin said that it is down to you, i'd just rather buy one for 800 and spend a grand on it that way its how you want it.

#10 Carl

Carl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:24 PM

i like the seats, and the respray apprantly cost £1000 three months ago, plus its a unique and nice colour i think :D (looks like taihiti blue on the pics lol)

ive knocked him down to £1700 now

#11 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:26 PM

why not just bid £1000 on the ebay auction, if no one else bids , you'll get it for a grand. when you bid, dont let him know its you.

if he pulls out after the auction has ended, using the exscuse that he's sold it elsewhere, phone him up and see if its still for sale, if it is, report him to ebay!....or use the fact that you know ,to haggle him down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users