12 replies to this topic

#1 murgy1979

murgy1979

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hi was wondering if you guys can help me please, just bought a mini classic 1989.. Now its got lap belts in the back but we have one child in a boaster and one In a forward facing car seat, we are getting some 3 point seat belts obviously have to keep the kids safe as possible which would you recommend and are they easy to fit...etc ..thanks in advance

🚗😀

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

The lower belt mounting bolt holes should already be in place on a 1989 Mini, if the top C pillar mountings are missing Somerford below do the later mounting kit:-

http://www.theminifo...rear-seatbelts/

More details of belts and mounting kits here:-

http://www.somerford...age=page&id=137

Whether you consider the rear seat of a classic Mini to be a safe place for a child is a personal matter.....but remember modern cars and SUV's are much heavier and built like battering rams and will cause major damage in the event of any rear end impact with a Mini or classic car,

Edited by mab01uk, 30 October 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#3 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

Seems to me that you've put the cart before the horse?  I can't see why you've bought a classic car then worry about your kids' safety?

#4 murgy1979

murgy1979

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks mab01,, much appreciated...minimanan??? Just to let you no we have more than one car we have seat Ibiza 62 plate,which us highly secured safety wise.... So the kids will be in that and when we get seat belts in safely regulations they won't be in it #facts #right #first....

Thanks

#5 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

My nipper was in the mini from about 6 months. I got securon belts, the mounts will be there in the C pillar - just feel around and you will find the hole. They might not be the safest car, but short of digging a deep hole and lining it with concrete and never let them out then life will always have risks so get the belts and go and enjoy the car, they will love it!

#6 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

Thanks mab01,, much appreciated...minimanan??? Just to let you no we have more than one car we have seat Ibiza 62 plate,which us highly secured safety wise.... So the kids will be in that and when we get seat belts in safely regulations they won't be in it #facts #right #first....

Thanks

Sorry. I'm not psychic...  :mmkay:

#7 murgy1979

murgy1979

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

Thank you my thoughts exact Tamworth... And OK miniman

#8 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

I've planned isofix for mine.

It shouldn't be too hard bolted to the lower seatbelt mounting points

#9 murgy1979

murgy1979

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

Lol Carlos let me no how the isofix goes ha ha

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

As said its a personal decision on whether to put your kids in the back of a Mini but when you have a choice put them in the Seat Ibiza especially if you are travelling on busy motorways. A huge lorry or SUV sitting close on your rear bumper is pretty scary on a dark wet motorway with 2 young kids in strapped in the back.

However whatever you do fit the rear belts in the Mini, sadly some classic car owners don't bother or think they spoil the originalty of their car........this recent M1 Motorway accident involving a classic Ford Anglia on the way to a Ford show at Gaydon without belts fitted shows its just not worth the risk:-

http://www.leicester...tail/story.html

'Classic Car Weekly' also reported on this recent fatal accident on the M1 involving a Ford Anglia on its way to a Ford Show at Gaydon but with no seatbelts fitted just as it left the factory.......

"A seatbelt would have saved my wife" - the hard-hitting story that forces a rethink about whether your classic should have belts fitted if they were not in original spec?

Apparently the womens husband was following the Anglia in his classic Ford Mustang heading for the same show.

Edited by mab01uk, 30 October 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#11 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

I saw an Ibiza after a head on collision with a merc ML a couple of months ago, impact speed was over 100mph and the doors still opened on the ibiza.

Amazing

#12 murgy1979

murgy1979

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

Defo amazing think a lot is just using common sense, I've had about 5 all together in my life span and my brother is a mechanic so no worries on that side,won't be driving throatling it on a motorway with 2 kids in it,,we go in the seat for them type of journeys more comfy for a long way...just use it for quick runs out with a lot of fun and also can be safe at the same time..

#13 rokemester

rokemester

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:41 AM

I’m bringing up an old post because the original poster referenced an 89 Anniversary. I’m having a tough time figuring out where the specific mounting points for the rear seat belts. Anyone happen to have pictures of an actual car? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users