27 replies to this topic

#1 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

Right. As title says. I have the Ford Ecoboost, 1.0l 98bhp version. This has a bluefin map on it and it is now around 151bhp (and has been running fine like this for the better part of the last year). Today i put my foot down (after the engine has warmed up, i had been driving about 15 minutes) and 1) i was surprised my traction control didnt come on, not a massive issue but it always tends to be on point and 2) i suddenly got a massive power loss and w warning popped up stating 'Engine malfunction. Service now' along with the usual little service spanner. I then couldn't go about 40mpg - obviously my car decided to go in to limp mode. I then turned my car off at work (about 3 mins later but seemed like forever) and then back on again and the spanner and message had both gone and my car was back up to power again when i quickly took it round the big work car park. My question is, would i be best seeing how it goes and if it does happen again take it back to ford or removing the map and driving as standard for a while and see if it happens again? I am driving up to Cardiff today so a good trek in it... so any answers much appreciated.

#2 matt050990

matt050990

I have upside down nipples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Currently Ridin' Solo :)

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

Avoid a Ford garage as they would charge a bomb! If you can find a small local garage ask them to do a quick ECU read and see what shows up on there. Could be something small and silly but worth a check.

#3 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

Avoid a Ford garage as they would charge a bomb! If you can find a small local garage ask them to do a quick ECU read and see what shows up on there. Could be something small and silly but worth a check.

If i was to do that then i would remove the map first and get them to read it - i just dont know if its safe to drive for a little bit as is to see if it was just a random glitchy message.

#4 matt050990

matt050990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

If you can drive it round your car park a bit the give it a go, if it pops up again then you know you have an issue, if not it might just be the car checking to make sure the light works on the dash :)

#5 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

151bhp from a 1litre!!?? I know them Eco boost engines are good but didn't realise one map could add 50 horses! Lol

#6 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

151bhp from a 1litre!!?? I know them Eco boost engines are good but didn't realise one map could add 50 horses! Lol

It did a lot but wasn't cheap :( lol 150.5 to be precise haha i did sneakiy round it up there and 190torque i think it was. Was my best spend yet haha

#7 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

im tempted to just drive it and see if it flags up again.. i could always plug my bluefin in and read the fault code from there if there is one so thats one option.

#8 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

It did a lot but wasn't cheap :( lol 150.5 to be precise haha i did sneakiy round it up there and 190torque i think it was. Was my best spend yet haha

I was looking at how expensive it would be to put one of these engines in my mini at one stage but for the price of an engine you could buy another mini!! Loool. Out of curiosity how much was the bluefin map? :)

#9 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

I was looking at how expensive it would be to put one of these engines in my mini at one stage but for the price of an engine you could buy another mini!! Loool. Out of curiosity how much was the bluefin map? :)

The temptation to take it out of my car and put it in! haha Its a tiny engine too - fits on an a4 sheet pretty much!

It was around the £500 mark (was a gamble as they didnt know how much it would add to the 100ps only the 125ps was tested)

#10 Dale_

Dale_

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

And is the car just spluttering and spitting? Nearly cutting out? If so it is more than likely a sensor. If it's not electrical there is a strong possibility that the engine was never made to contain that many horses. And I guarantee with that much fun under your right foot you havnt been driving it smoothly witch could have done some more serious damage to MAYBE a valve or something.

All probabilities but safest bet is to just get it pluged in by a small garage to get a fault code most will only charge about 20quid to read the fault. And if nothing comes up on the fault codes. Then you can start worrying that it's something mechanical lol.

But the engine is smaller than an apple so not that much can go wrong with it :D hahahha

#11 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

haha i spoke to ford and they said the engine is the exact same as the 125 version which can safely go up to 160 bhp with not issues - the 100ps version was just restriced - this bluefin just removed the restriction. I have the bluefin at home so i will run home and read the fault code later if there is one. No splutters or anything - all seems fine now!

#12 matt050990

matt050990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Ah it may just be scaring you then. Maybe they work together with the butterflies?

#13 A.Millican

A.Millican

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much, The car will go into limp mode for its own safety ( if there was something seriously wrong it would prevent damage) If you've had a re-map chances are a sensor has had bait of a spazz when you've put your foot down, it could be something as small as a O2 sensor in the exhaust or something like a missfire from a dodgy coil pack which would again cause a funny 02 reading in the exhaust.

Best thing to do..take it to a small garage and get them to plug a diagnostics machine into it...this will be able to read your ECU for a fault..if the engine light did come on the fault code will be stored and the reader will find it.

If it was something mechanically wrong it would be blatantly obvious. I think its more than likely just a sensor. You DO NOT need to remove your map or anything. 

I bet the the reading comes out as Missfire / O2 sensor....if it is just get the code deleted (the garage can do this) and if it happens again try and diagnose why it might be happening.

Milly.

#14 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much, The car will go into limp mode for its own safety ( if there was something seriously wrong it would prevent damage) If you've had a re-map chances are a sensor has had bait of a spazz when you've put your foot down, it could be something as small as a O2 sensor in the exhaust or something like a missfire from a dodgy coil pack which would again cause a funny 02 reading in the exhaust.

Best thing to do..take it to a small garage and get them to plug a diagnostics machine into it...this will be able to read your ECU for a fault..if the engine light did come on the fault code will be stored and the reader will find it.

If it was something mechanically wrong it would be blatantly obvious. I think its more than likely just a sensor. You DO NOT need to remove your map or anything. 

I bet the the reading comes out as Missfire / O2 sensor....if it is just get the code deleted (the garage can do this) and if it happens again try and diagnose why it might be happening.

Milly.

Thank you :)

#15 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'd be tempted to temporarely put the standard map back in and them have the ecu refreshed with the appropiriate decoder at a local garage

How long has it been running on the Bluefin?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users