Photo

The Man In Seat 61...(World Train Travel Website)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

The Man in Seat Sixty-One

Brilliant website below for anyone interested in discovering and arranging travel worldwide using trains. :mrcool:

http://www.seat61.com/index.html

What does the site aim to do?

"First of all, it sets out to HELP people who already know they want to travel by train or ferry, but who can't find out about it through normal commercial websites or travel agencies.  These days, many people want to cut their carbon footprint or are simply fed up with the hassle of flying.  Many of us prefer train travel, and a significant number of people are afraid of flying or medically restricted from doing so.  However, information on alternatives to flying can often be difficult if not impossible to find.  Second, the site aims to INSPIRE people to do something more rewarding with their lives and their travel opportunities than going to an airport, getting on a soulless globalised airliner and missing all the world has to offer.  There's more to travel than the destination.  It used to be called a  j o u r n e y ..."

Why did he set up the site?    

"The problem is this. Travelling by train from London to anywhere in Europe is a far more practical option than most people imagine, in fact it can be easier and less stressful than flying.  But finding out about train travel has become frustratingly difficult, if not downright impossible.  Although many people would prefer a more civilised, comfortable, interesting, adventurous, romantic, scenic, historic, exciting, less stressful and more environmentally-friendly way to travel, the travel industry only wants to sell you flights, flights, car hire and more flights.  The train operators themselves are little help, even Eurostar provides very little useful information on its website for travelling beyond Paris or Brussels, and Italy and Spain (two of my top destinations) aren't mentioned anywhere on their site at all.  What was needed was basic 'how to' information for train journeys from the UK to Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Greece, Russia and every other country in Europe.  And how about reaching Morocco, Tunisia, Ibiza, Corsica, Crete or Malta by combining train & ferry?  I thought it was a gap that needed filling, and that I could fill that gap myself..."

http://www.seat61.co...tm#.VFPhBmfWh8E

Edited by mab01uk, 31 October 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#2 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

That's weird. There was a guy in the pub at lunchtime wearing a t-shirt that said "Ryanair .. eat my Shorts - Seat 61". I wondered what that meant. Must be the same thing?

#3 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

I like it, I've just about had enough of getting herded through airports.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

This high-speed train trip to the South of France sounds interesting. :mrcool:

"The Man in Seat 61 says:  "Attending a conference on the Côte d'Azur, I travelled from London to Nice by train.  A morning Eurostar to Paris, lunch at the Train Bleu restaurant at the Gare de Lyon, then an afternoon TGV Duplex to the South of France, with a 1st class Club Duo seat on the upper deck.  Wonderful!  I put my feet up & relaxed, watched the French villages of the Rhone Valley pass by, caught up on my reading & emails and watched a movie on my iPhone.  To anyone who has only known the stresses of airports, flights & motorways, chilling out on a high-speed train is a revelation..."

http://www.seat61.co...o-Nice-by-train

Edited by mab01uk, 04 November 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#5 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

I quite like train travel. Like the guy says, a great time to catch up on reading and relax. If you have a little space and the train isn't overcrowded, its really not too bad. The only problem is everyone else!

#6 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

That's weird. There was a guy in the pub at lunchtime wearing a t-shirt that said "Ryanair .. eat my Shorts - Seat 61". I wondered what that meant. Must be the same thing?

This one?

http://www.moretvica...-shorts-t-shirt

Just had a quick look around the site, its quite informative actually.

#7 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:02 PM

This one?

http://www.moretvica...-shorts-t-shirt

Just had a quick look around the site, its quite informative actually.

That's the one! His print was much bigger though ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users