#1 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:18 AM

http://m.bbc.co.uk/n...d-tyne-29848021
Looks to me like great fun! Certainly not deserving of the ban and fine! And who was the victim??? The friend obviously wanted to get towed along. daft doing it in Tesco car park with people watching and cctv but certainly in my opinion does not deserve that type of punishment! I'm sure you get less for knicking a car and then getting involved in a police chase!

Edited by robminibcy, 01 November 2014 - 01:20 AM.

#2 matt050990

matt050990

I have upside down nipples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Currently Ridin' Solo :)

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:46 AM

Haha sounds funny.
That's far too harsh when you think of much worse crimes getting less.

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:56 AM

worlds gone mad, its not like it was againest someones will or anything, 

#4 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:17 AM

Way too harsh.

The authorities just like to go after the easy targets now. Easy targets being generally law abiding people who do something a bit silly.  

An example of how crazy the law is can be shown with a comparison to this. http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-22509506

Tow you mate along behind your car (on private property) you get a ban and a fine, rape someone and you get a caution.

#5 OhDear

OhDear

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

Suitable punishment if you ask me.  To many people these days are doing such dangerous stuff, if we let every one get away with it then this world as we know it will change. I think a lot of stupidity is down to the internet , People trying to find the weirdest, stupidest,dangerous and unusual.  Just so they can film it.  

I can see the huge danger in the stunt. ask yourself what happens when this (which these things do) GO wrong who is left to pick up the pieces.   Tell the relatives etc etc never mind the people around who never got involved who could be hurt. 

#6 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

Stupid thing to do but still think the outcome is too harsh. But then it's an easy target with the CCTV, we have all tried stupid things and all this really deserved was a caution.

#7 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

Tough **** if you ask me. Stupid behaviour

#8 matt050990

matt050990

I have upside down nipples

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Currently Ridin' Solo :)

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

Yeah fair enough the people were being stupid and could get hurt but it's their own fault if they do.
I can't honestly say I didn't do things just a stupid if not more.
What they were doing wasn't gong to hurt anyone else so what is the problem?
Just typical idiotic rules we have.

Edited by matt050990, 01 November 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

We were all young once. This is unduly harsh IMHO.

One gets a lesser sentence for stealing £200 worth of goods from Tesco, less for common assault, less for drug possession and less for driving without due care and attention on a motorway.

A moment of young silliness has cost this person a huge problem for the future far and away greater than the offence which had no victim.

#10 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

I didnt even know this could get you banned

But now they have made an example out of it to probably try and stop anyone else thinking of having abit of a laugh

There was another one where the chap was hanging onto his mates bonnet and he drove around a carpark

He got a fine and ban too

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:21 PM

Or, with some actual facts, this isn't making an example or picking on a soft target. This person, whom none of us knows the history of, has admitted dangerous driving. Which the video undoubtedly shows. The offence carries a mandatory, minimum 1 year driving ban. The judge cannot waive the ban, it's mandatory. The offence carries a mandatory retest. It carries a maximum 2 year jail term which was not applied in favour of community service. The woman actually got off pretty lightly with almost the minimum penalty. Frankly in my opinion she should have gone to jail for a bit, stupid stunt driving in public places should mean jail. She would have been so absorbed in how her mate was doing she would have been paying limited attention to the road, or if she was watching the road she wasn't paying enough attention to what she was doing. Someone pushes a trolley out from behind a pillar, she hits the brakes, oh dear her mate hits the back of her car at 20mph and smashes his head in. Idiocy. The law being too relaxed or badly applied in one instance has no bearing on how it should be applied elsewhere. I think this is completely appropriate.

#12 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

I was going to say the punishment was a bit harsh until i rad Dan's comment. He raises a very good point here.

Quite a few times i have had to brake hard in supermarket car parks because of children running out between cars right in front of me or people not looking what is going on before reversing out of a space and i am a careful driver!

Someone doing this won't be looking ahead, they will be looking in the rear view mirror.

This time, one person has had their life ruined, it could have easily been a whole load of people.

#13 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

What they were doing wasn't gong to hurt anyone else so what is the problem?

The problem could be loss of a hospital bed for several years that you or one of your loved ones badly needed.

#14 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Or, with some actual facts, this isn't making an example or picking on a soft target. This person, whom none of us knows the history of, has admitted dangerous driving. Which the video undoubtedly shows. The offence carries a mandatory, minimum 1 year driving ban. The judge cannot waive the ban, it's mandatory. The offence carries a mandatory retest. It carries a maximum 2 year jail term which was not applied in favour of community service. The woman actually got off pretty lightly with almost the minimum penalty. Frankly in my opinion she should have gone to jail for a bit, stupid stunt driving in public places should mean jail. She would have been so absorbed in how her mate was doing she would have been paying limited attention to the road, or if she was watching the road she wasn't paying enough attention to what she was doing. Someone pushes a trolley out from behind a pillar, she hits the brakes, oh dear her mate hits the back of her car at 20mph and smashes his head in. Idiocy. The law being too relaxed or badly applied in one instance has no bearing on how it should be applied elsewhere. I think this is completely appropriate.

This.

What if he lost control of his wheelchair and smashed into the side of your mini? Or worse wiped out your infant child. And her attention would have been limited in a place where more attention is needed than anywhere, with young children and cars reversing from bays. I value my license far too much than to prat around like this

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 01 November 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#15 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

This.

What if he lost control of his wheelchair and smashed into the side of your mini? Or worse wiped out your infant child. And her attention would have been limited in a place where more attention is needed than anywhere, with young children and cars reversing from bays. I value my license far too much than to prat around like this

But the thing is they didn't do that.

All of us, regardless of how sensible you are, will have done something dangerous whilst driving at least once. Could be forgetting to indicate, pretty girl at the side of the road catching your attention, looking away for a second to tune the radio etc. All of those things could land you with the charge of dangerous driving if you happen to have an accident at that precise moment.

If everyone who got into a situation where they could have caused an accident were locked up, there wouldn't be anyone left on the road!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users