95 replies to this topic

#46 kezzkitkat

kezzkitkat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:07 PM

Ohh nice just debating weather that rasp would piss me off more than straight cut wine

#47 chris27989

chris27989

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

Wow that sound is awesome..

Im going to use the podifold system on my resto-mod.. What dump valve did you use?

Any advise for someone taking this on??

#48 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

Tial type dump valve. Needs to be big. What took the most amount of time for me was the intercooling pipework. Very fustrating trial and error stuff. Having to wait ages for black classic samco pipe. In the end I came up with the idea of sanding the standard shiney black hoses to get the matt look. Works well.

I wanted a carb set up, but if you have the wiring perhaps go for injection.

I have an aldon amethyst mappable ignition, which is the one designed for boost pressure and works really well.

I have a high 33cc chambered race head so I could use standard sized pistons, somi could ditch the de-compression plate.

The air intake at the front will have a duct behind the centre of the grill forcing cold air to it and will have the added bonus of keeping the dizzy dry. (Saying that, the points are gone now).

Feel free to pm me as you go along. The more people that get a podifold and take pics the easier/ less daunting it'll become to do

#49 chris27989

chris27989

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the reply Hubba..

I know very little about dump valve as this will be the first car I have with one. After looking around I have seen a TiAL Sport Q Blow-Off Valve http://www.turbodyna...lue-p-2902.html which looks pretty good.

What pressure valve did you go for as I have seen 6, 8, 10, 11 (PSI) and the aldon amethyst mappable ignition can run upto 1 Bar (14 PSI). 

In regards to the aldon amethyst mappable ignition, is it a easy and user friendly as their website makes out?

Chris

#50 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:07 PM

That's interesting you ask as I may need a weaker sprind on my valve. Will go for a spin at the weekend and see how things act cause the valve my be too firm atvthe moment. Jon (podifold ) has said I may need a3psi spring.
I really like the amethyst. As I live fairly near to aldon, I got them to lock my dizzy for me so I could fit. It is easy and very user freindly. The boost version reads the amount of boost as well and adjusts accordingly

#51 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

Been for test drive today and before my suspect alternator died I managed to get couple of laps round the block in. I have identified a new issue......traction! Wheel spining through the gears isn't going to help any sprint times

#52 chris27989

chris27989

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

Ahh what a pain..

Talking of gears can I ask how you find the S/C box to drive compared to a standard box?

I'm going to use my car for tracks and hill climbs but on a rare occasion around town and I have be told that at low revs and speed S/C are terrible? Is this true?

Thanks again

Chris

#53 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:50 PM

Ahh what a pain..

Talking of gears can I ask how you find the S/C box to drive compared to a standard box?

I'm going to use my car for tracks and hill climbs but on a rare occasion around town and I have be told that at low revs and speed S/C are terrible? Is this true?

Thanks again

Chris

Can be a little bit funny to drive. I found with a hard suspension set up you right foot can bounce on the accelerator pedal, this is always felt in the drive, as its response is so tight and instantaneous. If that makes sense! I never get tired of it. Just have sc drops.

#54 chris27989

chris27989

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

Cool thanks for that; That's worth knowing!

Looking into clutches last night after speaking with Benross on the turbo mini forum what clutch have you got? Pre verto or verto? What was your deciding factor on which clutch to go for

Chris

#55 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

Preverto all the way for me. Nice and simple

#56 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

Think its orange or grey diaphram ( forgot which) its not a particularly hard one. May need to up grade if it starts to slip. Its been ok for 130 hp so far, but im hoping for more bananas now, may be 140-150hp

#57 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

Interesting thread, the Podifold option seems to work perfectly. 

#58 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:40 PM

Can't say 100%, but the signs are good. Need to get it set up on rr.

#59 Minienzo

Minienzo

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:06 AM

Hubba Hubba

I'm keeping a close eye on your build. Keep posting as your build with the Podifold is clearly very interesting to a lot of people here in the forum. Thanks!

#60 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

Had things running until my alternator died, now replaced, but would not restart, stripped carb as fuel wasnt getting to bores. Realised I must have made the mixture too weak for it to restart. Now up and running, but with masses of blue smoke on start up. Realised whilst I was working on carb upside down, all the dash pot oil had drained out ( also it was running really weak at cruise speed, throttle response was not as good as the other day and stalling when pulling away - amazing what a difference dash pot oil makes). Now its filled is but I still spilt some down the inside. So still expecting oil on start up ( perhaps I should just take the dash pot off and clean any excess oil.) Ive got a new head on so im hoping/ presuming its not valve guides.

Now the oil is in the dash pot the throttle response is superb. Need to test drive it again.

One thing I have noticed is because of the way I have my inlet for the charger, the induction noise is loud.

I'll get a gopro soon and film it on the go, from inside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users