242 replies to this topic

#181 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

This is awesome work, bet you will be glad when its all in paint.

Cheers, but the paint finish isn't the best on closer inspection, it seems to be picking up loads of bits from the compressor hopefully I'll be able to get them out with flatting and polishing, I've got a new filter so will see how it goes next week, on the plus side it goes on well and the paint has a good shine to it.

This week managed to do front end slowly getting around it.

37584308155_35a4967ce4_z.jpg

#182 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

That colour is looking really nice! I'm sure any dust spots will buff out when you polish it. 

#183 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

That colour is looking really nice! I'm sure any dust spots will buff out when you polish it. 

Cheers, this is the original colour I think it is one of them colours that has aged well, some of the 70's colour are bad. Fingers crossed with the dust spots.

#184 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:46 AM

This is awesome work, bet you will be glad when its all in paint.

Cheers, but the paint finish isn't the best on closer inspection, it seems to be picking up loads of bits from the compressor hopefully I'll be able to get them out with flatting and polishing, I've got a new filter so will see how it goes next week, on the plus side it goes on well and the paint has a good shine to it.

This week managed to do front end slowly getting around it.

37584308155_35a4967ce4_z.jpg

Like the above comment the paint looks great and most dust issues will polish out. The colour looks great. Nice work.

#185 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

Didn't get as much time on it this week, but managed to paint the bonnet and just about flatted one side down ready for painting. New filter on compressor has reduced the dirt nibs but not eliminated them probably won't when painting in a garage! but as not summer at least don't get them bloody flies on it, hopefully stays mild next few weeks.

24765866278_b3fbb90ace_z.jpg

#186 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:07 AM

Now onto the rear quater panels.

Good thing about flatting down is gives you one last chance to spot anything, which there was one litte bit which needed bit of filler and finished of with high build primer, and other bits that just needed a bit extra high build primer. I thought I'd give the bilt hamber aerosol highbild primer a go, as handy to use, takes a while to dry fully and got to make sure don't get carried away with degreaser when cleaning up or as 1k it can start to wipe it away!

24900196788_9932219876_z.jpg

Painted it up, but got some runs/sags! my excuse was using different spray gun, should have tried it out on one of doors first, so that'll be next thing be painting, but a bad workman always blames his tools :D

38742422162_00bb22486c_z.jpg

As I'm painting this in sections the one risk is getting an edge where joining the work, but I've tried to soft mask edge under the guttering and join it in the rear door corner so if do get an edge in a place won't be seen, as can be seen from the photo below there is a little edge, but door will hide this when on. The front end was simple as just paint up to the A post/panel lip, then this has a cover on it anyway.

38056860854_0b1a1c355c_z.jpg

23908810347_9966d15f79_z.jpg

#187 stuenutter

stuenutter

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Looking good. Can't wait to get started on my clubby estate in the new year.

#188 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

Gonna be painting mine in my garage. If its half as good as yours i'll be delighted.

Great job so far!

#189 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

Looking good. Can't wait to get started on my clubby estate in the new year.

Thanks, I've seen yours it looks like a long project, might look bad but lets face it most projects end up with new floors, sills and all other stuff that looks rusty on yours, like mine didn't look too bad to start with but ended up with new floor, sills, wings, A-panel etc

Gonna be painting mine in my garage. If its half as good as yours i'll be delighted.

Great job so far!

Thanks, hopefully you've got a bigger garage than mine, be ready for them pesky dirt nibs.

#190 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

That looks awesome, what type of paint are you using?

If you have trouble with runs/sags and bits you could try one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.u...kQAAOSwWxNY24W1

I used one of these on my last car and they make removing runs really easy, just make sure the paint is hard then run this over to remove the high spots then sand with 1500 grit, then polish up (or use a trizac disc if you want and then polish, makes it much easier to get the shine back up).

#191 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:34 PM

That looks awesome, what type of paint are you using?

If you have trouble with runs/sags and bits you could try one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.u...kQAAOSwWxNY24W1

I used one of these on my last car and they make removing runs really easy, just make sure the paint is hard then run this over to remove the high spots then sand with 1500 grit, then polish up (or use a trizac disc if you want and then polish, makes it much easier to get the shine back up).

The paint is 2k solid paint make is Lechler, I'm using the Lechler thinners and hardner with it as well, I mention the hardner and thinners been lechler as particularly the hardner looks like it can affect the shine if good and the shop I got it from recomended using Churchills  hardner with it as they didn't sell Lechler hardner! So this surely means other shops do and other people will be mixing different quality hardners/thinners with different makes of paint.

Them power tec files look good and I do have one not used it yet, but them Festool scrappers look really good, especially when you see the demonstration on youtube, but they are soooooo expensive for what they are, but if as good as the youtube clip festool know they can get away with charging that amount. So I'll be on the case with one of these powertec or hopefully festool, if I'm good enough maybe santa might bring me a festool as that looks a big time saver :xmas:

http://www.ebay.co.u...3.c100508.m3226

#192 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:02 AM

Managed to get one of the front doors painted and a rear door, plus flatted the primer down on the last part of the car ready for painting so should get that done next week.

I'm putting pu sealant around the door inner edge.

25030580768_2bbf04e4e7_z.jpg

24037251587_b8413cb0a7_z.jpg

Already rather dusty.

38015510445_bc8f197599_z.jpg

This door I got bad orange peel, well it is almost the right colour.

25030585388_acc1f69466_z.jpg

Funny thing is the rear is fine!

38186432834_9fa739dcaf_z.jpg

This side must have done a better job as only needed to flat down, no extra high build primer needed.

38902401251_8eb4374353_z.jpg

#193 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

Bit cold today but not too bad for painting and not as bad as other parts of the country, I started working in garage at 9c then when I'd stopped painting as I had the garage door open it had dropped to 7c. I managed to get the other side painted, I have been getting silicone spots in the paint, even though I have been using anti silicone degreaser(upol fast), I read the data sheet and they recomended the Lechler slow anti silicone degreaser, so I tried some on this side and it seems to have worked no silicone spots. So either upol fast degreaser wasn't good enough quality or the lechler degreaser is more compatible with their own paint, or maybe upol slow would have worked. Just goes to show a data sheet does help sometimes.

Anyway this is the right hand side painted up, no runs/sags, bit of practice helps when painting.

25122338928_308c11a4e2_z.jpg

#194 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:55 AM

Your estate is looking so good in that colour! Lovely job. 

#195 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

Your estate is looking so good in that colour! Lovely job. 

Cheers, the quality of the painting does look much better on the photo's though, photo's always lie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users