691 replies to this topic

#331 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

Made some good progress on the gear box this weekend....

Selectors in, replaced the 1st/2nd fork, new one is much more snug than the old one, the worn original probably contributed to the trouble I was having engaging 2nd.

mini-777.jpg

3rd motion shaft built and installed...

mini-778.jpg

Main box all fully built up...

mini-776.jpg

Retainer installed and torqued up, needed a couple of shims here...

mini-779.jpg

The big nuts at either end torqued up, took two of us to stand on the box while I tightened them up!

mini-772.jpg

Diff installed, again a couple of shims required to get the pre-load right...

mini-774.jpg

mini-775.jpg

mini-773.jpg

There's a tiny amount of play in the first motion shaft, suspect it's ok as it's essentially only fixed at one end until the transfer case is fitted.

Nearly there though now with this, it all spins nice and freely and I can engage all gears.

Edited by alchall, 10 December 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#332 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

Friday was a good day, a pallet arrived from SC with my engine and all the parts from the kit, engine looks great in blue!

mini-785.jpg

The head in all it's glory and the main parts from the kit, one pulley yet to arrive, should be in the post in the next day or two...

mini-792.jpg

Pistons, pocketed and fitted to the rods and complete with ARP bolts...

mini-789.jpg

mini-781.jpg

Stainless manifold....

mini-780.jpg

Jackshaft and crank which has been wedged bladed and balanced....

mini-784.jpg

mini-790.jpg

And a bunch of other parts all ready and waiting....

mini-788.jpg

mini-791.jpg

Meanwhile, not a lot has happened with the gearbox, I've been cleaning up and painting up the pinion cover and oil pickup pipe cover as they were horrible and rusty so will turn back to that in the coming days.

So while I was doing that I turned my attention to the engine. Inserted the jackshaft then on with the crank. Gave it all a blast with the air hose to ensure there's nothing lurking in any galleries and main bearings in place....

mini-782.jpg

SC measured the crank journals for me and said standard bearings were what I needed so that's what I got, checked myself as well when it came back with the vernier, not the most accurate device but it did seem to be pretty much spot on according to the Haynes book of lies. Thought I'd give it a check with plastigauge though, I believe this is in tolerance (again accordion to Haynes), although at the top end, it stuck to the bearing rather than the crank which was a bit annoying as I had to be careful getting it off...

mini-787.jpg

Crank and thrusts installed and end float checked, seems to be somewhere between 0.04 and 0.05 mm so probably a bit tight and thats with standard thrusts, couldn't really go any further anyway as I need my centre main strap to turn up from MED so I may take a smidge of the thrusts with wet and dry to get it within tolerance, I'm thinking too little end float probably is not a good thing!

mini-786.jpg

So that's it for now....

#333 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

I have seen these conversions before but I don't ever recall following one being assembled so ill look forward to seeing you do yours.

It's looking great so far

Ben

#334 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

What a delivery!! Have you decided on body colour yet?

#335 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

You've had Xmas early! will be watching this.

#336 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

Great Christmas present, that will keep you busy!

#337 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

I have seen these conversions before but I don't ever recall following one being assembled so ill look forward to seeing you do yours.

It's looking great so far

Ben

It is quite exciting, going to be a bit different which I like, going to have to do a very careful job of building this now, don't want to be making any very expensive mistakes!

What a delivery!! Have you decided on body colour yet?

I was 100% sure I was going to go back to the original flame red, but now I've gone off piste with the engine that seems somehow much less important to me, may go with something a bit more out of the ordinary now though!

You've had Xmas early! will be watching this.

Great Christmas present, that will keep you busy!

Indeed, and the Christmas presents haven't finished yet, some bits and bobs from DSN and MED are going to arrive this week which will be I think all the major components I need for the engine build, I suspect I'll be buying lots of other bits and bobs though as I go to complete it!

#338 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

You probably know this but if you're fitting a centre main strap don't forget the cap needs machining to fit the strap exactly.

#339 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:36 PM

You probably know this but if you're fitting a centre main strap don't forget the cap needs machining to fit the strap exactly.

It was machines for it by SC but now Im thinking I should have waited for the strap to arrive, may have damaged the surface with the bolts now by test fitting for checking the end float without it.

#340 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

Having machined off quite a significant portion of the structural arch it's imperative when fitting a main strap to make sure the strap sits on the machined face exactly. This is normally only carried out when the machine shop has the two components. If the machining does not exactly match the two components together there is a strong possibility the main cap and strap combination will be weaker than a standard unmodified cap.

#341 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

Have you decided on which route you're taking with filtration, as it's quite tight at the front. Take a look at the picture I previously posted of the front end of my car, make sure you dry build it before you spray your car, just encase you have to alter anything.

Edited by 72hump, 18 December 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#342 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

One thing I wish I knew before fitting my engine, is that you can machine some material off the bell housing (where the engine mount bolts onto), this may allow the extra drop and tilt of the engine, so you can maybe avoid a bulge in the bonnet. 

#343 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:02 PM

Have you decided on which route you're taking with filtration, as it's quite tight at the front. Take a look at the picture I previously posted of the front end of my car, make sure you dry build it before you spray your car, just encase you have to alter anything.

I played around with various filters. I like you set up, but i couldn't figure out how it would work with the throttle cable? 

#344 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

I played around with various filters. I like you set up, but i couldn't figure out how it would work with the throttle cable?
This is what I did Craig.

Edited by 72hump, 18 December 2017 - 11:11 PM.

#345 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

Having machined off quite a significant portion of the structural arch it's imperative when fitting a main strap to make sure the strap sits on the machined face exactly. This is normally only carried out when the machine shop has the two components. If the machining does not exactly match the two components together there is a strong possibility the main cap and strap combination will be weaker than a standard unmodified cap.

OK thanks for the advice, in which case I'll find somebody locally that can do this for me....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users