691 replies to this topic

#361 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

A nice little update for this week, the engine has been re-united with the gearbox.....

First up I had to fix a thread on the transfer case end as it had been stripped, so got myself a thread repair kit from eBay....

mini-817.jpg

And new thread inserted, was very simple!

mini-818.jpg

First job was I fitted the rear oil drain pipes and the exhaust header studs (these are OEM parts from the bike that come with copper plated nuts.....

mini-819.jpg

Then gearbox fitted to the engine, not really a lot to say about this, gaskets, blue hylomar, new bolts etc. but it looks nice now it's together again!

mini-820.jpg

mini-821.jpg

mini-822.jpg

#362 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

It's a nice looking build. I've used the same thread repair kit, they're very good and easy to use as long as you make sure you drill the hole in the centre of the existing one and square to the face.

#363 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

It's a nice looking build. I've used the same thread repair kit, they're very good and easy to use as long as you make sure you drill the hole in the centre of the existing one and square to the face.

Thanks, Im pleased with it so far, just hope it works when I finally get the car together!!

Thread repair kit does seem good, i was a bit nervous about making a worse situation but seemed to go well, used a bit of Loctite too so should be a good fix.

#364 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

Is it painting of the shell stage when the engine is together, or do you have some other steps first?

#365 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Looking very good buddy, getting to the fun bit of timing in the cams. Don't know what SC have told you what cam lift to set too, but John mentioned to me around 1mm, unless this has changed, but there's a lot of debate on that subject, depended of what torque or horsepower you want, me personally, i would prefer torque over Bhp, as I don't want to be reving the hell out it.

#366 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

Looking great. The blue does look great with the clean silver of the alloy.

#367 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Is it painting of the shell stage when the engine is together, or do you have some other steps first?

Plan is to build the engine, do a test install to work out what modifications I need to make to the engine bay and bonnet, it then goes off to paint, Ill start to build up subtframes while its away then I can get on with actually putting it all together.

#368 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

Plan is to build the engine, do a test install to work out what modifications I need to make to the engine bay and bonnet, it then goes off to paint, Ill start to build up subtframes while its away then I can get on with actually putting it all together.

#369 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Looking very good buddy, getting to the fun bit of timing in the cams. Don't know what SC have told you what cam lift to set too, but John mentioned to me around 1mm, unless this has changed, but there's a lot of debate on that subject, depended of what torque or horsepower you want, me personally, i would prefer torque over Bhp, as I don't want to be reving the hell out it.

Its like you read my mind, there seems to be quite a lot of different opinions on this subject, like you Im more interested in the torque curve, one of the big attractions to me for this conversion was being able to build a reasonably powerful engine whilst maintaining usable torque for use on the road, Ill be taking to John about it shotlly but I think 1mm probably fits the bill as far as I can tell.

#370 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

Looking great. The blue does look great with the clean silver of the alloy.

I agree, really pleased I ended up with blue block and cam cover rather than black as Id originally planned...

#371 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

That looks stunning I cannot wait to see this in the car, this is like the dream engine for the van...

#372 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Its like you read my mind, there seems to be quite a lot of different opinions on this subject, like you Im more interested in the torque curve, one of the big attractions to me for this conversion was being able to build a reasonably powerful engine whilst maintaining usable torque for use on the road, Ill be taking to John about it shotlly but I think 1mm probably fits the bill as far as I can tell.

Spoke to John again at Minifair regarding the cam lift, and he was still saying to set them to 1mm lift, for a good torquey road engine, unless of course you want to rev the hell out off it!

#373 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Spoke to John again at Minifair regarding the cam lift, and he was still saying to set them to 1mm lift, for a good torquey road engine, unless of course you want to rev the hell out off it!

After messing around with with cam timing. My experience is:

I started with at 1mm, then 2.4mm and currently 1.7mm - the car did feel best at 1mm

The power/torque seems so much lower down in the rev range when set to 1mm. 

#374 almarsh132

almarsh132

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini's

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:09 AM

Looks good! I haven't been on the forum for a while, you may well beat me getting a sprite back on the road!

#375 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

After messing around with with cam timing. My experience is:

I started with at 1mm, then 2.4mm and currently 1.7mm - the car did feel best at 1mm

The power/torque seems so much lower down in the rev range when set to 1mm. 

Thanks guys, that's really helpful, looks like I'll be going for 1mm, looks like a slightly tricky operation so better set aside a clear day for it :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users