#541 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:54 PM

Looking at your pictures, is the main part of the door flush with the B pillar top and bottom, and it's just the glass frame sticking in, if so, I would just do what Steve220 said and just bend it to suit, would save you a hell of work, I had to do this with my passenger door, and it looks fine. Nice bracket you've made for your bonnet, I think you might need two though, I wouldn't trust a mini bonnet to say down, hurtling down the motorway at 70mph, if the wind gets under the other side, it might be a wee bit bent!!

#542 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:27 PM

I would post your door issue as a separate thread, I am sure there will be some good advice from other users, who perhaps dont visit our fancy build threads :)

#543 robj2502

robj2502

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:24 AM

I think I would also be tweaking the door rather ripping into the work I had just completed. Perhaps if it was more than 10mm or if the issue was one that you could see by eye (like large panel gaps) I would be more concerned. Perhaps you need to ask yourself what would the factory do?..........leave it probably!  ;D

#544 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

Oops, duplicated post

Edited by alchall, 03 April 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#545 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

Ouch. I'm going through similar problems myself, albeit the body shop are handling it for me. Door fit was always terrible on the car before stripping down. Lots of tinkering with door fit after new inner wings and door posts, all jig and laser aligned with new front end etc. Then after borrowing other sets of doors have confirmed that the rear quarters (which were replaced about ten years ago as part of a previous rebuild) are in very much the wrong place. New rear quarters now required to get everything aligned. At this point I think only the floor/sills, bulkhead, roof and rear panel will end up being left of the old shell. Bloody Mini!!

It's only at the top it's out by 10mm by the looks, just bend it. They did it in the factory, and I did it to mine to get the door seals to work.

Looking at your pictures, is the main part of the door flush with the B pillar top and bottom, and it's just the glass frame sticking in, if so, I would just do what Steve220 said and just bend it to suit, would save you a hell of work, I had to do this with my passenger door, and it looks fine. Nice bracket you've made for your bonnet, I think you might need two though, I wouldn't trust a mini bonnet to say down, hurtling down the motorway at 70mph, if the wind gets under the other side, it might be a wee bit bent!!

I would post your door issue as a separate thread, I am sure there will be some good advice from other users, who perhaps dont visit our fancy build threads :)

I think I would also be tweaking the door rather ripping into the work I had just completed. Perhaps if it was more than 10mm or if the issue was one that you could see by eye (like large panel gaps) I would be more concerned. Perhaps you need to ask yourself what would the factory do?..........leave it probably!  ;D

Thanks guys, helpful advice there, I will pop another thread up at some point to see what other nuggets of information people may have, and I'll have a go at tweaking the door - the old one rather than the new one of course  :-) my worry is that it will mess with the smooth running of the glass and possibly open up a source of water ingress but I'm willing to give it a go before spending any more cash!

#546 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:03 PM

Nice bracket you've made for your bonnet, I think you might need two though, I wouldn't trust a mini bonnet to say down, hurtling down the motorway at 70mph, if the wind gets under the other side, it might be a wee bit bent!!

Thanks!, I'm pleased with it, but you may be right it may not be sufficient, I have got the safety catch on the other side so it shouldn't just blast off but that wouldn't help stop it just rattling around generally, time will tell!

#547 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:04 PM

Nice bracket you've made for your bonnet, I think you might need two though, I wouldn't trust a mini bonnet to say down, hurtling down the motorway at 70mph, if the wind gets under the other side, it might be a wee bit bent!!

Thanks!, I'm pleased with it, but you may be right it may not be sufficient, I have got the safety catch on the other side so it shouldn't just blast off but that wouldn't help stop it just rattling around generally, time will tell!

Oops, I'm forgetting you have the carbon bonnet, should be fine with the extra safety catch, or go with the clean look and put on the second catch. You could attach or mod your bracket with a cam and run another cable across to the other side.

#548 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:28 AM

Oops, I'm forgetting you have the carbon bonnet, should be fine with the extra safety catch, or go with the clean look and put on the second catch. You could attach or mod your bracket with a cam and run another cable across to the other side.

That's not a bad idea, I'll have to give that some thought if I do need the other catch....

#549 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:29 PM

Drivers door resolved this weekend to my satisfaction, posted this on a thread looking for help and with some further input and a bit more thinking I've got it to be at least as good as it was when I bought the car in the first place.

Here's how it was....

mini-1.jpg

mini-2.jpg

I reverted to the old door as I didn't want to start messing too much with the new one as I can sell it on if I don't actually need it.

So basically I've done two things....

1) Opened the holes in the A post out to 10mm, was going to slot them but decided I needed some front to back as well as up and down movement.

2) I drilled out the two welds that fix the bottom of the window frame on the rear of the door, pulled the top rear corner outwards then plug welded back in place.

And the result...

mini-1002.jpg

mini-1003.jpg

#550 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:18 AM

Good work on the door. Unless you're fitting the MPI airbag system, you'll want to remove that bracket on the floor under the rear seat. It'll get in the way of the carpet and the rear mats won't fit unless you get MPI ones

Q

#551 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:39 AM

Good work on the door. Unless you're fitting the MPI airbag system, you'll want to remove that bracket on the floor under the rear seat. It'll get in the way of the carpet and the rear mats won't fit unless you get MPI ones

Q

Thanks!

I had intended to remove that bracket before I fitted the floor, going to be a pest to get off now but probably will do it before it goes for paint, I did wonder what it was for though, I knew it must have been MPI specific but didn't know what so thanks for demystifying that for me :-)

#552 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

Nice work on the drivers door, I bet your relieved you didn't have to do more body work. Looking at your pictures, is that the colour/styling your going for, or is it all change?

#553 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Nice work on the drivers door, I bet your relieved you didn't have to do more body work. Looking at your pictures, is that the colour/styling your going for, or is it all change?

Car was flame red out of the factory and my plan is to go back to that with the exception of the carbon fibre bonnet which will be on show, also ditching the sport pack stuff, standard arches and 12x5 minilites.

#554 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

How you getting on with your project, anywhere near getting her painted?

#555 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

How you getting on with your project, anywhere near getting her painted?

Slowed down again recently, I'm out of country a lot with work so not getting as much time as I'd like, although in reality I am not far off. I need the new bonnet back to be sure front end is all good and I've now got a new problem at the back - I decided to do a test fit of the rear subframe as it's not been on for a long time since I originally had it on the car, and one of the captive nuts has actually broken away from the heal board, only way I can think of easily fixing that is to take the rear wing off so I can get access to it, that panel is one that I'm not 100% happy with how I fitted it so replacing it again wouldn't be the end of the world, just more time and cost.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users