What a journey for this small car! :-)

#32 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

Lovely car and very tastefully modified. My little '63 Morris Mini Minor still runs its stock 850 and drums which means its woefully slow and brakes leave a lot to be desired still a lot of fun but its too original to spoil by modifying. Maybe I need another one to do that with .....?

Edited by surfblue, 12 November 2020 - 10:50 AM.

#33 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:40 PM

What a journey for this small car! :-)

It certainly is a fair way! Currently in Singapore, the next leg of the journey takes it through the Suez Canal and up to Cyprus, so it's getting ever so slightly closer!

Lovely car and very tastefully modified. My little '63 Morris Mini Minor still runs its stock 850 and drums which means its woefully slow and brakes leave a lot to be desired still a lot of fun but its too original to spoil by modifying. Maybe I need another one to do that with .....

I suppose in a way I was quite lucky that the previous owner(s) had already repainted and re-badged the car as a Cooper S, so it made sense for me to continue in that direction and not worry too much about retaining 100% originality. Aside from the sound system which will be coming out, I did try to keep it somewhat period-correct with the upgrades and mods, so I think it still suits the nature of the car, and I like that I've been able to put some personal touches on it. No doubt it would be worth much more in factory spec as an original NZ-built 850, but the memories and experience of working on the car and driving it many miles over the years are worth loads more to me  :proud:

#34 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:56 PM

Another NZ mini making its way to the south coast.

I'm absolutely paranoid about rust as mine is on its original, 40 year old panels and is in far better condition than the 12 year old UK one I had as my first car many years go.

That warm, dry NZ air certainly preserves the little cars well.

#35 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:57 AM

Another NZ mini making its way to the south coast.

I'm absolutely paranoid about rust as mine is on its original, 40 year old panels and is in far better condition than the 12 year old UK one I had as my first car many years go.

That warm, dry NZ air certainly preserves the little cars well.

Ah nice! Is that the GT in your profile picture which came from NZ? The very first mini I ever drove was a 1980 NZ-assembled 1275GT, in brown with the big gold stripes on the sides. As you say NZ conditions are much kinder to bodywork and my Mk1 is basically rust free, and certainly in much better condition than my UK-built 1991 despite being 26 years older. Luckily a family member has kindly offered a covered space to store it here until I can work out a more permanent solution, so fingers crossed I can keep it in good order for years to come. The plan is to use it as a fair-weather car mainly during summer months for shows & meets, plus the odd weekend drive or occasional commute when weather allows. Then the 1991 Neon will be the sensible commuter car, so the Mk1 can have a fairly easy life  :proud:

Quick edit: Looks like it's departed Singapore now... next stop Suez Canal... past the Somalian pirates!

5E9QhN9.png

Edited by W1NG3D, 13 November 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#36 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:09 PM

Ah nice! Is that the GT in your profile picture which came from NZ?

Yes. Bought it in Hamilton and nearly deafened myself driving it back to Auckland as it had solid aluminium doorcards and no carpets. Gave it a makeover ( http://www.theminifo...-a-restoration/ ) then took it with me when I moved to Brisbane which is the number plate in the profile picture. Back in the UK now so it's now on its third registration number.

#37 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:12 PM

Ah nice! Is that the GT in your profile picture which came from NZ?

Yes. Bought it in Hamilton and nearly deafened myself driving it back to Auckland as it had solid aluminium doorcards and no carpets. Gave it a makeover ( http://www.theminifo...-a-restoration/ ) then took it with me when I moved to Brisbane which is the number plate in the profile picture. Back in the UK now so it's now on its third registration number.

Just had a look through your project thread, lovely job you've done with the car and a great colour choice! Nice to see another NZ mini made its way over here. Funnily enough, my very first journey in the Mk1 was similar, about 2 hours or so driving from Pirongia to Auckland where I lived at the time (after having bought the car sight unseen!).

#38 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:19 AM

I've had an update from the shipping agents and the Mk1 really isn't far off arriving into Southampton now, having made it past the Somalian pirates, through the Suez canal and is due soon into Barcelona... it's edging ever so close now! The ETA has been brought forward again to boxing day, meaning I'll hopefully be able to collect the car on my birthday (29th). That'd be a great treat for me especially since I actually bought this car on my 18th birthday, so it'll be symbolic in a way  :proud: it's also timed very well as I might need a backup vehicle very soon, given my daily driven 1991 Neon needs a bit of work before its next MOT in January and will probably have to come off the road temporarily!

#39 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 07:08 PM

That’s quite a journey but good to know that you’ll be able to collect your car from Southampton docks before any Brexit shenanigans hit.

#40 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:48 AM

The Mk1 has cleared through customs now, was hoping to collect today as a birthday treat but annoyingly it's been pushed back til tomorrow by the shipping agent, but at least it's made it!

#41 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 04:34 PM

Here it is, mostly intact! It had to be pushed out from the secure storage area after the dock worker managed to flood the engine trying to start it, but whipping out the plugs to clean them and let the excess fuel to evaporate allowed the engine burst into life again, probably for the first time in months.

8NT6lvP.png

Irritatingly, some opportunists have made away with the radio, one of the number plates (oddly not both!), and the chrome trim from the door bins (????). But then oddly enough the box of spares including the original Mk1 steering wheel, Lucas spot lamps and a few other bits are intact. All a bit annoying, but I'm just happy the car has made it and is otherwise undamaged. I doubt there will be any recourse for this as the marine insurance doesn't necessarily cover anything apart from the car itself.

On a brighter note, I got it home, then spent some time giving it a bit of a clean to remove months' worth of grime from its travels, so I then thought I'd take it for a blast up the hill for some photos. I still can't quite get my head around an NZ car now being in the UK, it looks very strange. But I'm thrilled it's here!

kuiAVbZ.jpg

mNeeomO.jpg

6r9fY8z.jpg

Now I just need to start working out a list of jobs and get the UK registration underway with the DVLA... apparently their offices in Swansea are rife with COVID so I doubt that'll be a quick process!

Edited by MiniCarJack, 30 December 2020 - 04:41 PM.

#42 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:39 PM

Fantastic,glad its here at last

#43 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:37 PM

That’s great news and amazing to think that you were able to drive it away from the docks after such an epic journey.

#44 Sprinkler23

Sprinkler23

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:06 PM

Sad there are things missing, but glad that you have your car back from the other side of the world !

#45 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

Great adventure for you and GUF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users