What a journey for this small car! :-)

#32 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

Lovely car and very tastefully modified. My little '63 Morris Mini Minor still runs its stock 850 and drums which means its woefully slow and brakes leave a lot to be desired still a lot of fun but its too original to spoil by modifying. Maybe I need another one to do that with .....🤔

Edited by surfblue, 12 November 2020 - 10:50 AM.

#33 W1NG3D

W1NG3D

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Local Club: PSMOC & Midweek Minis

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:40 PM

What a journey for this small car! :-)

It certainly is a fair way! Currently in Singapore, the next leg of the journey takes it through the Suez Canal and up to Cyprus, so it's getting ever so slightly closer!

Lovely car and very tastefully modified. My little '63 Morris Mini Minor still runs its stock 850 and drums which means its woefully slow and brakes leave a lot to be desired still a lot of fun but its too original to spoil by modifying. Maybe I need another one to do that with .....

I suppose in a way I was quite lucky that the previous owner(s) had already repainted and re-badged the car as a Cooper S, so it made sense for me to continue in that direction and not worry too much about retaining 100% originality. Aside from the sound system which will be coming out, I did try to keep it somewhat period-correct with the upgrades and mods, so I think it still suits the nature of the car, and I like that I've been able to put some personal touches on it. No doubt it would be worth much more in factory spec as an original NZ-built 850, but the memories and experience of working on the car and driving it many miles over the years are worth loads more to me  :proud:

#34 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:56 PM

Another NZ mini making its way to the south coast.

I'm absolutely paranoid about rust as mine is on its original, 40 year old panels and is in far better condition than the 12 year old UK one I had as my first car many years go.

That warm, dry NZ air certainly preserves the little cars well.

#35 W1NG3D

W1NG3D

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:57 AM

Another NZ mini making its way to the south coast.

I'm absolutely paranoid about rust as mine is on its original, 40 year old panels and is in far better condition than the 12 year old UK one I had as my first car many years go.

That warm, dry NZ air certainly preserves the little cars well.

Ah nice! Is that the GT in your profile picture which came from NZ? The very first mini I ever drove was a 1980 NZ-assembled 1275GT, in brown with the big gold stripes on the sides. As you say NZ conditions are much kinder to bodywork and my Mk1 is basically rust free, and certainly in much better condition than my UK-built 1991 despite being 26 years older. Luckily a family member has kindly offered a covered space to store it here until I can work out a more permanent solution, so fingers crossed I can keep it in good order for years to come. The plan is to use it as a fair-weather car mainly during summer months for shows & meets, plus the odd weekend drive or occasional commute when weather allows. Then the 1991 Neon will be the sensible commuter car, so the Mk1 can have a fairly easy life  :proud:

Quick edit: Looks like it's departed Singapore now... next stop Suez Canal... past the Somalian pirates!

5E9QhN9.png

Edited by W1NG3D, 13 November 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#36 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:09 PM

Ah nice! Is that the GT in your profile picture which came from NZ?

Yes. Bought it in Hamilton and nearly deafened myself driving it back to Auckland as it had solid aluminium doorcards and no carpets. Gave it a makeover ( http://www.theminifo...-a-restoration/ ) then took it with me when I moved to Brisbane which is the number plate in the profile picture. Back in the UK now so it's now on its third registration number.

#37 W1NG3D

W1NG3D

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:12 PM

Ah nice! Is that the GT in your profile picture which came from NZ?

Yes. Bought it in Hamilton and nearly deafened myself driving it back to Auckland as it had solid aluminium doorcards and no carpets. Gave it a makeover ( http://www.theminifo...-a-restoration/ ) then took it with me when I moved to Brisbane which is the number plate in the profile picture. Back in the UK now so it's now on its third registration number.

Just had a look through your project thread, lovely job you've done with the car and a great colour choice! Nice to see another NZ mini made its way over here. Funnily enough, my very first journey in the Mk1 was similar, about 2 hours or so driving from Pirongia to Auckland where I lived at the time (after having bought the car sight unseen!).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares