4 replies to this topic

#1 Hughie

Hughie

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:14 PM

I 'm waiting to have a new clutch fitted to my 1989 Mini City. I'm told it has a Verto clutch. I've seen people refer to Verto and pre Verto clutches. What is the difference? I'm a bit concerned because the motor factor wheree I bought the clutch didn't seem to know about this but was sure the clutch he supplied (a ferodo) was the correct one for my car.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Steve.

#2 Sfanatic

Sfanatic

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

The Verto unit is on later cars and has the centre plate outside of the flywheel, whilst the pre-Verto (or original type) has it inside.
For out-and-out performance purposes the pre-Verto is the only way to go, unless any competition regulations mandate otherwise.
It's difficult to get a Verto with sufficient spring pressure to take large power outputs and high gearing found on later cars makes this much worse.
Fortunately it's not difficult to change from a Verto to a pre-Verto. You change trhe flywheel, starter motor (using one with a separate solenoid), a new clutch arm and slave cylinder and an early-type clutch bearing and bearing shaft.
With big and powerful engines it solves the clutch problems, especially if you use the 'grey' diaphragm and a rally centre plate.
By the way, you can do this job with the engine in-situ by jacking up one end of the engine after undoing the RH engine mounting. Just remove the radiator top steady and the engine stabiliser bar first.

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:14 PM

Eveyrthing that has been said above is true and very informative, but do not be scared off verto clutches. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them, and they are more reliable. If you don't have a 90-100+ bhp engine, verto will do fine, and will cause much fewer headaches, it's self adjusting and as already mentioned quite durable/reliable.

I wouldn't say its worth the hassle of changing over to pre-verto unless, as stated your engine is a very powerful one...

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:05 PM

The Verto item is quite a bit heavier than the Pre-Verto clutch too...

#5 pierce

pierce

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:21 PM

are clutches inter changable between engines i.e. verto to non verto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users