#1 Sully2908

Sully2908

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hello everyone, 

I have recently purchased a 1964 Mini Deluxe and along with the car came a set of GKN Silverstone date marked March 1976, the previous owner is now into fast fords but his Dad was into Minis (sadly passed) so he bought these new and when they were in vogue, I know their history and have photos to show them fitted on the car in the 70s. I know the 12" are fitted to the Richard Longman Clubman and are quite rare although these are the 10" type. 

my question is are these also rare? I am thinking of getting them powder coated and kept as my spare set of wheels. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Shaun 

Attached Files

#2 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

Before getting them refurbished do check they will fit your '64 de luxe.

If the alloy wheel offset is for disc brakes then you will need to fit spacers all round.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

The 10" are probably rarer than the 12" as the 12s were bought in reasonably large numbers for the Challenge racers.
Do you have the wheel nuts? If not you'll need to either get some made or modify the wheels - nothing out there works 'off the shelf', trust me I've been through the pain!

#4 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

I'd say thse were even rarer than the 12" version! Probably worth a small fortune, as 12"'s are worth £400+ with tyres!

#5 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

Not the nicest looking mind :P

#6 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

I like them ! never seen a set in 10's

#7 Sully2908

Sully2908

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

Cheers for the advice, I have spacers fitted for my minilites these were also used for the GKRs, your right about the looks I am learning to love them (slowly) I have seen a pair of 12" powder coated White although I think that may deprecate the value? As for the nuts would never have even thought of it ? I will take a wheel of and try to fit one tonight. i know they may be rare but my thoughts are the clubman boys would want 12" not 10" so they may not be as sought after ?

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,799 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

Original Ad here from Practical Motorist Magazine - May 1976

GKN-10inchwheels_zpse187fa9d.jpg

gkn5x10_2_zpsd5fef3f6.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 01 January 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#9 Sully2908

Sully2908

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:02 AM

Thanks mab, so they cost £13 a wheel. Hopefully they are worth a bit more than that now. They look good in alloys so I think I shall not go down the White route. I don't have the centre caps.

#10 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Only ever seen one set of 10's and they were on a 1275 GT in mini mag.

#11 Sully2908

Sully2908

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

I think they are quite rare, I have been offered £700 but I might sort them out for no other reason than no one will have a set.

#12 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

I think I would take the £700 to be honest. They are a bit marmite really. The larger versions look good on clubmans imho but would rather have a nice set of rosepetals on a period racer or mk1. That being said I have never seen a set of 10's so if someone really wants them and has the cash who knows.

#13 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

These wheels have become a bit of an obsession of mine so I thought I might put my views forward.
These would be only the 3rd set of 10" Silverstones Ive come across, one being owned by GraemeC on his gorgeous GT, and another set that was on ebay a few months back Which sold for £600. Yours being the 3rd. I was very tempted but arguably couldn't justify it at the time.

I think the offer you received is spot on if you did want to sell. I'd love to buy them off you if I had the money though as the 10" ones are the only ones I need to complete my collection!
As for the values of 10" vs 12" who knows! But I am a little bias towards 12s haha

Joe

#14 Sully2908

Sully2908

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for the input guys it's going to cost me £100 to get them blasted and then I have to put another set of boots on them as they have still got the original 70s tyres on them 3 good one blow out. I quite like the idea of having something that's as rare as hens teeth as a talking point at the future meetings although I'm not sure that the would currently be "in vouge" and how they would look on a 64 although I do entend to fit a period Lucas spot on the boot I have managed to acquire and a set of Lucas spots for the front, she's currently got a very early set of mini lits fitted also period. I was given a load of spares including a spare exhaust and peco box. To fit or not to fit is the question.

#15 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

Anyone that knows about rare mini wheels would talk about those if they were on your mini. I wonder why there isn't many left in 10"? Were they just not popular or could have all been scrapped long ago?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users