#1 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:17 PM

hey folks,

only had this current mini for a few months, but it does this smokey startup about 50% of the time when started cold. I assumed it was just a puff of oil, but recently thought the colour and smell was not quite consisitent with that. Decided to investigate the possibility of brake fluid getting into the servo and then sucked up the servo hose into the intake, and guess what - there is a wee pool of fluid in there and the hose was wet with it on the inside.

I have cleaned out as much as I can with rags, and checked my fluid level - which has not gone down that I can tell. So I think it must be just a small leak. Does this indicate a leak in the master cylinder - ie worn seals?

The brakes are actually really good on this car and so far (touch wood) have not had any scary moments with them going soft or anything.

Advice on way forward ?  Leave alone and monitor / replace master cylinder / rebuild with seal kit ?

Thanks

Craig

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

White acrid smoke in the exhaust is an indication of brake fluid getting sucked through the servo.  If you found any fluid in the vacuum hose it is likely to be brake fluid and indicates you should rebuild the servo.  The leak may not be with the master cylinder itself but with everything taken apart you may want to refurbish both.

#3 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Thanks. How could it be just the servo at fault though, wouldn't there need to be a leak of fluid past the master cylinder seals in order for it to reach the servo housing ?

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:17 PM

Personally id buy new(i know i know but dont muck around with brakes!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users