#1 ClassicAlex

ClassicAlex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hi everyone

I need to order some panels for my Mini Cooper 1.3I 1991 and I am completely unsure whether to go for genuine or non-genuine panels as there is a huge difference in the prices between them, is there a big difference between the two? 

I will be getting the panels from www.minispares.com

It would be great to get some advice! 

Thanks!

#2 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

Half pint guy in a half pint car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:28 PM

Genuine panels are made from the original tooling and offer a straight fit with out any adjustments.
non genuine tend to be less accurate and need fettling. It can be a false economy, for instance, having a body shop fit non gen panels you could spend more in labour getting them just right

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

That is not strictly true, Some genuine panels need fettling to fit too as the tooling is worn out so folds, dimples and depressions are not as crisp as they were but yes, they are a whole lot better than non genuine panels.

Having said that, there are a lot of non genuine panels which fit just fine with minimal or no adjustment.

Perhaps if you put up a list of the panels you are thinking of buying, we can advise which ones to go genuine or non genuine with if that helps?

Ben

#4 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: unkown

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

Tottaly agree with Ben_0 things like wings to me are always gunna need work to fit weather it half an hour or to hours as we can do this ourself I don't mind putting the time in if you are paying someone to fit I would go genuine

#5 ClassicAlex

ClassicAlex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

Tottaly agree with Ben_0 things like wings to me are always gunna need work to fit weather it half an hour or to hours as we can do this ourself I don't mind putting the time in if you are paying someone to fit I would go genuine

That is not strictly true, Some genuine panels need fettling to fit too as the tooling is worn out so folds, dimples and depressions are not as crisp as they were but yes, they are a whole lot better than non genuine panels.

Having said that, there are a lot of non genuine panels which fit just fine with minimal or no adjustment.

Perhaps if you put up a list of the panels you are thinking of buying, we can advise which ones to go genuine or non genuine with if that helps?

Ben

Well its quite a long list so basically I need to get new wings, front panel, windscreen surround lower panel, A panels for each side, bonnet, door skin and bottom inner repair plates for the doors. 

It would be great to know which ones you would recommend getting genuine parts for, It is a personal project so I will be doing the welding myself but it is my first project so I don't have huge amount of experience with the panels.

Also I am planning to buy these parts on www.minispares.com

Thanks!

Edited by ClassicAlex, 21 November 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#6 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Well its quite a long list so basically I need to get new wings, front panel, windscreen surround lower panel, A panels for each side, bonnet, door skin and bottom inner repair plates for the doors. 

Personally, i would go non genuine for the wings, front panel and A panel's

Definitely get a genuine Scuttle, the non genuine ones can cause leak's as the pressings don't fit to the windscreen rubber very well.

Bonnet, i would get a good second hand one

Door skins, non-genuine are fine but genuine are better

Bottom door frame repair panels are only available in non-genuine as far as i know 

That's what i would do but it's down to you to get decide as it is your budget.

If you need door step panels, i would go genuine as they are the only ones that fit properly. Non-genuine ones are often folded wrong.

Give Doreen at M-machine a ring, they are very well priced, supply their own panels which they produce in house and the quality is brilliant.

That's where i get mine from

Ben

#7 ClassicAlex

ClassicAlex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

Definitely get a genuine Scuttle, the non genuine ones can cause leak's as the pressings don't fit to the windscreen rubber very well.

Bottom door frame repair panels are only available in non-genuine as far as i know 

If you need door step panels, i would go genuine as they are the only ones that fit properly. Non-genuine ones are often folded wrong.

Give Doreen at M-machine a ring, they are very well priced, supply their own panels which they produce in house and the quality is brilliant.

Ben

Thank you for the great advices, i'll take a look into that!

Thanks

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

Agree with Ben above, especially on the door steps. They can be made to fit but the radius is completely wrong and it's a pain in the rear to get it looking ok.

#9 mattyglover16

mattyglover16

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

I fitted some non genuine wings and front panel to my 1994 one of the wings and the front panel went on perfect and the other one I must have spent 4-5 hours to get it to line up correctly but fits as good as genuine. So just depends on how much time you want to faff about lining panels up :)

#10 ClassicAlex

ClassicAlex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

I fitted some non genuine wings and front panel to my 1994 one of the wings and the front panel went on perfect and the other one I must have spent 4-5 hours to get it to line up correctly but fits as good as genuine. So just depends on how much time you want to faff about lining panels up :)

So where did you get your panels from?
Thanks

Edited by ClassicAlex, 21 November 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#11 mattyglover16

mattyglover16

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

I got my panels front euro parts, I know it seams daft but the place I work we use them much I ended up getting my wings for about £32 each. Have a look on their website whey have quiet a few bits for minis especially panel work :) thanks

#12 MINIMADrt

MINIMADrt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Local Club: none at mo

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

very interesting this was think the same thing the other day call up a 2 restoration centers to ask the quetion.

1 said they dont fit genuine any more unless they have to (dont do them aftermarket) and have not done for 9-12 months due to bad fitment and the dollys press'es worn out curves no longer visable and bad fitment and creases

the other said now days it does not really matter as the quality is not like it was 2-5 years ago.

so not sure what way to go myself

#13 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: unkown

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Ben

Thank you for the great advices, i'll take a look into that!

Thanks
I agree again the only genuine panel I used on mine was the door step would u consider second hand doors I have a number for a guy that breaks minis he would prob have doors and bonnet if ur interested

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

Beware of second hand doors.The rust always starts from within and at the bottom section where the skin folds round. I would never advocate getting a decent paint job going this way as you may find out the hard way rust coming through quickly. Best to spend the money and reskin.

Now for Heritage panels get them from Minispeed,you get 12.5% discount through them. Door steps are a major hatred of mine, i went to the length of getting a local fabrication shop and mini guru to make me a set, in fact several sets and they are far far superior to anything from Magnum and on a par with heritage for a lot less.

Really recommend M Machine for their short outer sills, and full length inner sills. Again be careful what you order from them as they also supply Magnum panels so check when you order with Doreen.

Don't forget though that Minispares give you 7.5% on all panels they sell.

#15 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

Defiantly agree with Neil on the subject of Doors.

I have a very good used door for my project. Although it is very solid and would be ideal to fit as is in place of a rusty door on a car that is used daily, I shall be removing the skin, cleaning the frame right back and fitting  new skin.

Once mine is painted, i don't want the bottom of the door to start going after a few months.

There are loads of people around who will re-skin your door if you want a pro job done of it and they often have re-skinned doors in stock so will take yours as an exchange towards a fully repaired door. 

New complete doors are very expensive so a refurbished one is a very cost effective way of replacing those rusty old doors.

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users