Reported to eBay and avcis (police vehicle fraud) at [email protected]

#2 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

That cant be right anyway, its 1964 but not tax exempt?

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:49 PM

I love the way these idiots cover up part of the registration number on the V5c and then forget on the rest of the documents.....

Reported

FS

#4 landsurveyor

landsurveyor

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local Club: Jurassic Coast Mini Club

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

From previous experience, you can only change the taxation class of a vehicle to "historic" when you go to tax the vehicle. 

Of course this is after an MOT pass - this one looks like it may need some work to pass the MOT though...!

Simon.

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

I doubt that's even the car in the photo. Probably got it off Google Images or something like that one before

#6 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

Obviously knows about cars and  mini's , hence the £400 starting price . I hope a few of these people get caught and publicised , it might act as a detterant .

Coming to as export/stolen car soon !

#7 stonemonkey

stonemonkey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Local Club: www.gtmdrivers.com

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

there are so many V5s on ebay for all sorts of cars and they are not bothered how many times each one gets reported so long as ebay makes money on them. I am surprised they dont have a section just for the sale of such documents.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

I wonder if it will end up in the USA with a 1999 body, engine, suspension, interior, wheels, etc., and end up getting crushed.

Or more likely it will be bought and re-shelled into a Mk.1 shell. Genuine Mk.1 850 engines & gearboxes are easy to find (I think I have a couple somewhere) and if a few of those 'bits of scrap' are used in the body-shell rebuild it could be legal.

As it is, one doubts that it is a stolen car and selling a really corroded car (if that is what this can be described as) with its V5 is not actually illegal. What is illegal is 'ringing' it into a late car whilst implying that it is an early, tax-exempt, USA-importable car, no matter how that car was obtained.

#9 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

No , yet again , your ' its not doing anyone any harm ' attitude  fails to see that  however innocent it may be , taking one i.d and putting it on another is illegal . End of .Fact .

If you want to swap shells , bits and pieces etc  , and not involving stolen vehicles , you should not be able to get a new identity just like that .  

The reason being , which you dont seem to understand is that it makes it so easy for criminals to make money .

I really , really wish you would stop adding your idiotic views on this subject .

How would you feel if your cooper was nicked , seen on a flatbed and never seen again  , knowing that its probably been  ringed and put through a auction ?

#10 Wupding

Wupding

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

Excuse my ignorance on this but I am very much a newbie

If you buy a shell with no V5

And want to use that shell to reshell a legitimate car due to excess corrosion..

Where do you stand with this?

#11 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:02 AM

And want to use that shell to reshell a legitimate car due to excess corrosion..

It's a no go i'm afraid.

You may only re-shell an excessively corroded car into a brand new heritage shell. there are no exceptions.

Vehicle i'd's are non-transferable and must remain with the original vehicle, even if it is scrapped

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

Many Mini's have been restored over the years using secondhand shells (which are not stolen !)......ie. a Mk1 Cooper S rebuilt using a rust free low value (at the time) Mk1 Mini 850 Auto, but the DVLA does not officially approve......(although in practice if you do it discretly and own both the restored car and donor vehicle no one need ever know).

Note: Classics Monthly wants to see a change in the law:-

One law for different vehicle designs
Perception of what is deemed a classic car changes with subsequent generations of enthusiasts. The term is no longer the preserve of chrome-laden icons built before1973.
Vehicle construction methods have long since moved away from separate chassis and bodyshells in response to manufacturing, safety and design influences. Monocoque-body classics (no separate chassis) have been recognised as such for decades but restoring one by reshelling can alter this perception in the eye of current legislation.
I can quite legally build a repro bodyshell from new off-the-shelf pattern panels for a separate chassis classic and the car be easily considered genuine. A similar-aged car of monocoque design would be illegal if I replaced the shell with an identical second-hand shell and tried to keep its original identity to avoid it being re-registered as a Q-plate.
This law is outdated and doesn't reflect the growing popularity of monocoque classics and enthusiasts' desire to preserve them with their original identity.
Gary Stretton, Editor. Classics Monthly

The Classics Monthly proposal:
To retain the original identity and registration of a reshelled vehicle.

1. The recognised legal owner of two similar cars would have permission to create one classic vehicle from both, retaining the original identity of the nominated car.

2. In order to do this they would notify the DVLA of their intention, stating the vehicles concerned.

3. An appointed body (or approved engineer) would inspect both vehicles for a fee payable by the proposer to confirm vehicle identities.

4. Any checks such as HPI and police checks would also be part of the process and would need to be satisfied by the proposer before point 6.

5. The DVLA would then acknowledge the request, stating any legal reasons why this couldn’t happen. For example a powerful variant of a vehicle using a similar donor vehicle without necessary considerations to braking, extra shell strengthening and so on. This information is widely held by owners’ clubs.

6. Upon approval, the owner would then be free to transfer key components, e.g. engine, suspension, brakes, steering and transmission.

7. Once ready, an appointed engineer would inspect, for another fee, both vehicles to ensure the reshelling is both legal and roadworthy.

8. The discarded bodyshell would be recycled (scrapped) and the identity of the donor vehicle associated with the original car's identity by the DVLA.

9. If necessary, a chassis or VIN number could be given an additional suffix or prefix (‘R’, for example) to denote a reshelling has taken place.

This proposal, we believe, meets the legal concerns of the DVLA, keen to stamp out car 'ringing' and the cost of implementing the scheme.
It would safeguard the future of monocoque-bodied classic cars, deter their illegal reshelling and recycle otherwise perfectly good bodyshells.
The survival of such classics will ensure employment within the automotive sector and help maintain the billions of pounds the classic sector creates for the UK economy.
Petition:
If you believe the reshelling of a classic car, retention of its original identity and the preservation of future classics in a legally transparent manner is essential for the future of our hobby, and those employed by it, please sign our petition.
Classics Monthly wants to see a change in the law to reflect the changing perception of what a classic car is and the desire of enthusiasts to preserve them responsibly, safely and legally.
http://www.gopetitio...tion/42909.html

DVLA to include Reshell or Die proposal as part of a major review of INF26 legislation.

http://www.classicsm...roposal-update/

Edited by mab01uk, 21 December 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#13 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

This ^^^  :thumbsup:

#14 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

That is a great idea but still doesn't really apply to sale of V5's on eBay.

#15 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

That is a great idea but still doesn't really apply to sale of V5's on eBay.

Nope, he was just answering the question about buying a shell with no V5.

I'm with you on the V5's

Selling a v5 isnt a great idea full stop. It 'can' promote illegal activity. 

The usual issues are:

Tax avoidance 

Hiding a vehicles history - Accident damaged/total loss

Ringing a stolen vehicle

Export of stolen cars

Changing a vehicles age to circumvent import/export age restrictions

Struggling to find a positive reason for buying a V5 on ebay?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users