Photo
- - - - -

Idea - Fitting Service At Shows

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Fitting service at Mini Shows (91 member(s) have cast votes)

In principle, Do you think a fitting service at a Mini Show is a good idea?

1. Yes (65 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. No (26 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mini.30

mini.30

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Local Club: I Ride Solo

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:09 PM

Hi guys

I have had this idea knocking around in my head for a few years now. It is to offer a fitting service at mini shows, in my head i imagine a gazebo / easy-up setup somewhere in the car park area of the mini show.

Offering all services relating to common things bought from mini shows, such as wheel fitting, trim fitting, spot lamp fitting, maybe simple servicing like oil change or spark plug fitting. Basically covering as much stuff as possible. Obviously bigger, more complex jobs would not be possible

What I am targeting is people who have driven their mini to the show and bought it a 'present'. This can then be fitted on site, for a competitive fee, quickly and hassle free

I am extremely qualified to offer this service having completed a top manufacturer apprenticeship, worked in the btcc for 3 seasons winning two championships and now self employed building top end historic race cars (selling price averages 40 - 80k). I can also draw on fellow experienced mechanics to help out if extra hands are needed.

This is just an idea so please do not rip me apart, if you think it is a good idea please add your thoughts, if you have a problem with it please be constructive

Cheers guys

Mark

(If i am in the wrong section feel free to move)

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

Love it, but what happens if you come across an issue, snap a stud or something and the customer can't get home?

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

Love it, but what happens if you come across an issue, snap a stud or something and the customer can't get home?

This has happened on more than one occasion

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

This kind of service has been quite popular at the New MINI Shows but is usually provided by the traders fitting the upgraded parts that they selling on the day for an extra fitting charge. It may also be because modern MINI's are more complex for doing some diy jobs and there is therefore a greater demand for the service.

Edited by mab01uk, 17 December 2014 - 11:24 PM.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:25 PM

Oil changes. Not a hope in hell that you would get permission to do that at any show ground. ( Dragstrips excepted)

How are you going to dispose of the old parts? Rubbish?

Insurance? All types. Ok you are self employed so you will have the basic insurance. Then there is the H&S side.

Yep in the good old days we would got to Stanford hall etc buy new bits fit them to the cars and flog the old bits in the bootsale/club stand.

#6 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:30 PM

I would say aside from all the H&S, insurance etc problems (which are considerable) I don't think with travel and setting up time that you could turnaround enough jobs in a day to make it profitable.

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

There was alot of this at IMM this year i noticed. It seemed quite popular

#8 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:40 PM

If you go to a show with a club then other members will usually fit stuff for you for free.

I've fitted/fixed loads of cars for people at shows and there's many other people like me out there.

#9 mini.30

mini.30

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

Ok so that is reasonably positive. I am not thinking of removing subframes or suspension so i don't see what trouble i could have with broken studs that could not be fixed with a drill and a grinder. I would have to obviously speak to each venue to find out what, ig anything, they would not allow. I don't see an issue with disposing of old parts, also i would not expect a vast amout of waste as it is more of a fitting service than anything. So anything removednis likely to be small and larger parts (wheels, interior parts etc) may well be kept by the customer.

Thanks for the quick response

Mark

#10 mini.30

mini.30

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:46 PM

I would say aside from all the H&S, insurance etc problems (which are considerable) I don't think with travel and setting up time that you could turnaround enough jobs in a day to make it profitable.

I disagree

I am based in Staffordshire, so Stafford Show Ground, Bingley Hall and Uttoxeter Races are very local. Also an easy up and a van of equipment is all that is needed.

Thanks

Mark

#11 mini.30

mini.30

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

If you go to a show with a club then other members will usually fit stuff for you for free.

I've fitted/fixed loads of cars for people at shows and there's many other people like me out there.

This is true, but many people out there don't have that friend!

Maybe i need a poll on this

#12 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

What sort of hourly rate would you be charging?

8hrs a day at a show, at say £20 an hour would be £160

A stand would cost you about £80 so you would only be making £80

#13 mini.30

mini.30

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:00 AM

Poll added

#14 mini.30

mini.30

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:05 AM

I was not thinking that many fitting type jobs would be based on an hourly rate, as these jobs would not take that long. Maybe a fixed price 'menu' of all the common jobs would be a better option. And I never said I was in it to make lots of money! Maybe it is more about getting a name out there and a reputation, possibly the start of something bigger

Thanks so far

Please cast a vote on the idea in principle, obviously a lot of detail to figure out yet!

Edited by mini.30, 18 December 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:06 AM

Afraid I'm with Shifty 'n Chopper, doing it is one thing; making it worth the effort is another. Though if you're paying for a trade stand, extra money spinning options could supplement your idea.

The Mini scene probably isn't the best market either, we're mostly tight wads who aren't averse to picking up a spanner ourselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users