#16 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

Dashboard refurb

The original dashboard had suffered water damage which appears to be a common fault on these later coopers. Not wanting to spend loads of cash on a replacement and preferring to learn how to do stuff I took it upon myself to watch a few youtube vids on laminating. 

I got hold of some oak veneer from eBay and had a go myself.

IMG_2472_1024x768.png

I'm quite happy with the results

MiniCooper5_1024x767.png

20140608_114519_1024x576.png

20140608_114528_1024x576.png

I have actually changed plans since doing this and ripped the dashboard out again. I am now halfway through converting to centre speedo so I can fit my custom made 100% carbon fibre oval binnacle I had made 5-6 years ago for my old project.

#17 Minicruiser

Minicruiser

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

Very nice build so far

#18 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

A bit of an update but no pictures.

I spent most of Saturday just gone working on the mini. I fabricated a repair patch for the bulkhead/firewall to replace the section damaged by the engine steady. Its now welded in on the interior side and just needs welding up from the engine bay side once I've removed enough parts to gain adequate access.

I've made up a wiring loom to connect my smiths tach which is an old RVI unit that I've converted to ECU signal driven.

I've made a wiring loom to connect a BMW gong/chime as a headlight warning buzzer.

I've started on fabricating a mount so I can remote mount the head unit fascia hidden away under the dash.

I plan to take the widscreen out over Xmas so I can weld up the top dash rail holes where the rail used to bolt as this is being covered in some custom covers I had made. I will also blank off the ashtray recess.

I plan yo have the centre speedo trial fitted also

Edited by LukeH, 24 December 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#19 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

Some progress being made on the remote fascia for the head unit. I have used CAT5 cable and the colour sequence is to the CAT5 B standard so I'll know the order the other end.

The fascia unit leads are 200mm long pig-tails that will have an RJ45 on them connecting to the cable runs to the the stereo via an RJ45 coupler. This will allow me to easily remove the fascia without having to remove all the wiring under the carpet - Well at least that's the theory.

I have covered the connections in a silicon sealant to help protect them and to add a little strength to the joints. I'm still not 100% sure where I am going to position this. It will be under the passenger side dash lower dash rail or just below the heater controls. 

20141224_111449_1024x576.png

Edited by LukeH, 24 December 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#20 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

Where will the actual head unit go?

I don't understand what the remote fascia is for?

#21 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

Where will the actual head unit go?

I don't understand what the remote fascia is for?

I won't have a dashboard any longer due to converting to centre speedo so the fascia will be mounted under the lower dash rail and the head unit will be under the rear sear. The cables connect all the contacts together effectively extending the fascia to wherever I want it to be.

I can't really mount the head unit under the dash rail because I have relocated all the relay's and alarm control box there.

Edited by LukeH, 24 December 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#22 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

Got it!

Cheers.

#23 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

This is half way through stripping the dashboard out. I will take one showing what it looks like now all the wiring has been re-routed and the top/bottom dash rails are out

20141109_125326_1024x576.png

#24 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

This project might have to be move to the bike engine section :-) picking up a 2003 5pw R1 engine on Tuesday complete with wiring loom, ecu and clocks.

Its going to be a home built front wheel drive conversion and I'm setting myself 2 years to complete it.

#25 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

I picked up an engine hoist this evening ready to start the MPI engine removal. It was cheaper to buy one than hire and it was local.

#26 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

I have been giving some thought to how the engine will be mounted and I wondered what everyone else is doing regarding subframe mounts.

If the engine is solid mounted should I be using rubber mounts for the subframe? How would that affect the gear linkage?

The rest of the car has been fitted with poly bushes so can I/should I do the same on the front subframe?

#27 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

I spent the day today sorting my garage out ready to start the engine swap. I moved my loft ladder so I can get more stuff up in the space off the garage floor and evenly spreading the weight on the joists.

I also managed to start disconnecting bits on the mpi engine ready for it to be removed. I'm labeling the wiring loom as I go to make it easier when I come to sort it out for the R1 engine.

#28 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

Old engine is out. Anyone want to buy it? :-)

Edited by LukeH, 18 August 2020 - 07:25 AM.

#29 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

I've made lots of progress the last couple of weeks. Most of the injection specific stuff has now been removed from the car. I have stripped the wiring loom wrap off and removed any wires not required and I have redesigned a number of circuits using Microsoft Visio to visualize them. 

I will be running two batteries in the car. A small motorbike battery for the R1 loom and starter circuits and then a bigger Aux battery for all the car circuits. I have redesigned the Ignition circuit, Hazard circuit, Front fog circuit and split charge circuit.

#30 roadhouse

roadhouse

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:00 PM

Sounds like you're moving right along! I'm no help on the subframe questions as I'll be using a Lynx kit. Keep posting pictures :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users