19 replies to this topic

#1 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

Well i know what,s for dinner in a weeks time, Did a bit of ratting this morning with a few friends and our terriers ( six dogs in all ) and bagged 62 rats in 45 minutes at a local farm.

Great fun for all, and as a thank you the farmer and his gamekeeper handed us each a brace of pheasants. 

Anyone who has not tasted pheasant does not know what they are missing.

We are going back in the new year for round two to try and better our first score.

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:44 PM

Anyone who has not tasted pheasant does not know what they are missing.

I do, I've tried it and absolutely hated it.  But I think I'm going off meat in general to be honest.

Used to live on a big estate farm where they had regular shoots in the grounds.  The head gamekeeper was forever offering us pheasant that had been reared, shot, hung and plucked by his own fair hands. :thumbsup:

Free food always tastes better anyway! 

#3 cubby1701

cubby1701

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Local Club: causeway coast mini club

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

lucky man nom nom pheasant is so tasty

#4 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

Yes i do agree, it,s a bit of a Marmite scenario. I hated it the first time but the pheasant had hung for too long so it was very strong and did put me off but, if i know when they were shot i can hang them for the correct amount of time which i think is right for me.

It was the ratting that had me bouncing, four men running around like demented things, with rats climbing up your legs followed by a terrier, we were howling with laughter at times, the farmer is six foot four and built like an outside toilet but he hates rats ( scared stiff of them ), he never showed his face until all the rats were bagged up and binned and the terriers put back in their boxes.

I came home and both me and the terriers slept for a good couple of hours.... knackered.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

Love it but its a meat that can be over cooked very easily as my mother in law used to do. We used to have Pheasant once or twice a month on their farm, sometimes braised (very nice) sometimes roasted (like eating a bit of carpet) but that was done to how she cooked it.

#6 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

Ive only just got into eating it again , after having at least 4 times a week as a kid . We were not far from the breadline  . My grandfather did managed a walled garden for some bloke who had bought a country home . He used to go shooting 3 times a month as a social wheeling and dealing thing , but hated pheasants , so he would give him about 15 every 10 days !  And my mum was a s### cook !!

And the same with rainbow trout , my grandad used to get about 10 a week of those , i still cant stomach them .

I love the breast browned of in the pan , then chucked in the oven for 12 minutes with bacon , brussell sprouts , breadsauce and game chips , with a bit of thin gravy . Thats my favourite meal full stop .

#7 brad-the-bear

brad-the-bear

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

great stuff! you got a place to hang them up? :D 

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

Yes i do agree, it,s a bit of a Marmite scenario. I hated it the first time but the pheasant had hung for too long so it was very strong and did put me off but, if i know when they were shot i can hang them for the correct amount of time which i think is right for me.
It was the ratting that had me bouncing, four men running around like demented things, with rats climbing up your legs followed by a terrier, we were howling with laughter at times, the farmer is six foot four and built like an outside toilet but he hates rats ( scared stiff of them ), he never showed his face until all the rats were bagged up and binned and the terriers put back in their boxes.
I came home and both me and the terriers slept for a good couple of hours.... knackered.

you've hit the nail on the head in the first line - it's down to how long it's hung.,when it's fresh it's very subtle and I can't imagine anyone who eats chicken leg wouldn't like it. Hang it for a couple of weeks and it's a totally different taste. It's the ultimate free range bird for the table.

#9 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

A few years ago they were selling pheasant breast in Tesco , and they were always on offer , as i doubt any of the chavvy locals would buy  them . They actually worked out much cheaper than chicken !

#10 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

A few years ago they were selling pheasant breast in Tesco , and they were always on offer , as i doubt any of the chavvy locals would buy  them . They actually worked out much cheaper than chicken !

Yep, i used to get them and they were very good. Another good meat is grey squirrel, I usually get a couple given from time to time and make Goujons with the meat.  

#11 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

Nice! Love a bit of pheasant. Used to hang them in my garage for a week and then pluck and draw them...lovely.
Often overlooked and then taste awful, better to cook the legs and carcass separate to get the right cooking time to avoid toughness.

Enjoy!

FS

#12 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:08 PM

Yep, i used to get them and they were very good. Another good meat is grey squirrel, I usually get a couple given from time to time and make Goujons with the meat.  

Cant say ive tried squirrel , i would give it a go if i had a gun and somewhere to shoot them . I did get one when i was 13 in scouts by throwing a hatchet at it , but we didnt eat it . Bloody feral animals we were !

#13 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

I prefer Puffin :thumbsup:

#14 brad-the-bear

brad-the-bear

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

how long have you hung yours for? 

#15 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

how long have you hung yours for? 

You,d better ask my wife that one mate ........... A dead bird never falls out of it,s nest.. :lol: 

No seriously, usually no more than a week is right for me, but some folk like it black as they say and three weeks will do that.... :X  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users