#1 mikep12

mikep12

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

Hi

I am a noobie here but everywhere else I am approaching my 'twilight years' I can remember the mini launch in 59 and have made a few bob out of them over the years. I have a collection of pets aquired over the years much to my families distaste but I am afraid none are running at present. I lost contact with the mini scene in the late 80's as work got a bit too hectic but now have time to take stock and maybe get some of them going.

I have in age order

Clipper blue Jan 1960 mini saloon reverse convertable (floor rotted out).

1962 997 Cooper mostly good but well used.

1964 1071 'S' Looks better than it is.

1969 woody fitted 13 something engine kent cam longman head machining done by firm in leatherhead (?) now defunct but were top draw at the time. 12" wheels and discs etc. this was a fantastic machine in its day but you met very  nice people every time you took it out as it would break down. It would either get a bad connection somewhere or blow coolant out of somewhere else. needed new loom and fuse wire across 2/3 bores. When it sang though it coud keep up with a Golf GTi  16v to 60.

I used to buy and sell/break minis from late 60's to mid 70's and would think nothing of cutting up an 'S' for scrap if the subframe/back panel was rotten, the engine was worth a few bob to put in any old sound shell!! Those were the days when you had works cars advertised in the back of C&CC's. The other point is that fast minis were bought to drive fast and as they became older then they were worth less so if the shell was bent then you would just move components onto another mini shell. I would suspect that of the surviving S's  few are in the original shell. Another thing to keep the perspective is that a mk1 to mk2 rear light conversion panel was a good seller then now its the reverse!

Another 'crime' was finding the lightweight shells with foam sills as they were usually sound. You could get any quantity for scrap prices as the mechanicals were shot. I used to pay £20 quid to the scrappy and get £10 back for the eng/box when it was out. You could then sell the shell for £35 quid to the banger men as they needed shells all the time.

I was often called on by the trade if mini bits were for sale and I got a call one day that a village garage was sold and there were some mini bits would I be interested? I went to have a look and found two crated new 1275 'S' engine and boxes. I paid a lot for them but doubled my money by selling them on for £350 each!!!!! That was the right price at the time and I was lucky to sell them so quickly.

Sometime in the 80's I had an aquaintance from the old days get time for selling log books so to resist temptation I binned all my old ones, you could buy a house with what you would get from 'barn finders' nowdays but my only regret was not keeping a list of all the VINs as I am sure some may be around now fetching good money.

I have still got lots of good spares but will doubtless have to get plenty to resurect the cars. I  must admit still look at prices of some everyday type mini spares and think "HOW MUCH, FFS ITS A MINI"

#2 Wupding

Wupding

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

First dibs on your 62 and 64 Mike ;-)

If only we knew back then what things would be worth now..... There would be a lot of rich men out there

I am sure the scrap man has crushed some really easy resto projects back then... Nowadays even the worst resto are being tackled to keep the mini alive

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

You certainly have been around Minis, I bet you get those moments where you think if only I had that one now? or that one, been there done that had 997s 998 Coopers and a 1275 S now long gone, but keeping myself happy with a 95bhp 1980 MK4.

Welcome back now lets see those you have up and running, look forward to the pictures.

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:21 PM

welcome!

Nice collection by the sounds of it.

Have you any pictures of the cars?

Ben

#5 mikep12

mikep12

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

welcome!

Nice collection by the sounds of it.

Have you any pictures of the cars?

Ben

Will move some of the sh*t and see what I can do.

First dibs on your 62 and 64 Mike ;-)

If only we knew back then what things would be worth now..... There would be a lot of rich men out there

I am sure the scrap man has crushed some really easy resto projects back then... Nowadays even the worst resto are being tackled to keep the mini alive

Yep did'nt like looking at a car for too long then so if it did not sell quite quickly could allways sell the bits for readies so would break them. Had one chap bring me in a reasonable 1275 mk1 to break as he wanted to put the bits in a standard mk3 shell as he prefered the rear lights and wind downs. Shell was good apart from sills and bit of A panel rot, it went banger racing. Never ever crossed my mind that anyone would seriously collect such 'lesser cars'. I only have what I have now because I farm so have a bit of space to keep things and I liked them. My favourite is the 60 as it is just so original and basic, this will be the first to be done.

#6 lawrie124

lawrie124

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing some photos.

#7 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

Hi..Oldie....welcome to the club.....us oldies must stick together.......great collection of minis.........pics please...... :highfive:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users