#31 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

They are cam sensors

Thanks will give a full up date tomorrow don't want to speak too soon!!!!!
Don

#32 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

My issue with the car and its starting and running problems have come down to the Cam sensor bolts being so loose that they were almost out, although I had pushed all the electrical connections  in did not think to pull the bolted bit out , so my guess was as the engine ran the sensor just moved about so the engine would never run.

A quick trip to the auto store for some thread lock and they are now in place and should  not work loose !!!!!

I am still waiting on Zcars phoning me back with some ideas on why the car would not run that's been 2 days now they said they would have a thing and get some ideas of things to check, they also promised to run a spanner over the car and check vital bolts, so far I have had to tighten lot's of them the engine mounting bolts to name just one some were no more that finger tight.

Had no idea how many bolts are on this dam car so will spend my days off with spanner and socket in hand before it gets a proper road test.

I can say the car runs and idles have been to the bottom of the road and back reached the dizzy speed of 28mph and no need for the nice guy's from 911 rescue. 

Last thing is there a chart with the torque settings that should be used on the main Components or is it as tight as F _ _ _

Thanks Don

Edited by dondo, 19 February 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#33 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

http://www.finaldriv...sBoltTorque.htm

#34 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

Giving the car a spanner check should an annual thing at the very least in these things. If you do a lot of track days then even more reason to give it a spanner check more often.

#35 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the chart, the car has never been on a track.

Edited by dondo, 20 February 2015 - 12:00 AM.

#36 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the chart and many thanks.
The point I was trying to make was 'scars'said that would do a full spanner check prior to me picking up the car as far as I can tell so far the last spanner on this car was John's the builder.
The good news is the car now runs bring on the British summer.

Edited by dondo, 20 February 2015 - 12:02 AM.

#37 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the chart and many thanks.
The point I was trying to make was 'scars'said that would do a full spanner check prior to me picking up the car as far as I can tell so far the last spanner on this car was John's the builder.
The good news is the car now runs bring on the British summer.

Most excellent news, enjoy it.

#38 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

Day out Glasgow up to the Rest and be Thankful down to Dunoon over on the ferry and then on to Large for ice cream and coffee and back home,fast A roads and great B roads.

Attached Files

#39 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

Good Skills, glad to see you're getting some miles done in it.

Is it turning heads as well??

#40 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

Not that I am on face book but have been told it's pictures are turning up daily, lots of people asking about the green mini who has it, not sure I like all this attention may have to chain it to the garage floor when I am not around. 

#41 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:31 AM

Not that I am on face book but have been told it's pictures are turning up daily, lots of people asking about the green mini who has it, not sure I like all this attention may have to chain it to the garage floor when I am not around. 

The only downside to it, I guess......

#42 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

Thistle Run 2015 car survived

This was a run from Blair Drummond Safari & Adventure Park to Fort William the route took you via every B road possible rather than the direct A 82 or A 84 we had all sorts of weather sun, rain and freezing wind going through Glencoe at least the snow stayed away.
I was very honest with all the people who asked questions about the car and told everyone about John's fantastic skills ( all very impressed ) car was placed in the group age 1990 –2001 so got a prize, over 201 minis took part.
Great fun day out and for anyone looking to build something like this my car leaks like a sieve so the seats are out and the silicon gun in hand to try and seal the fire wall.
Don

Attached Files

Edited by dondo, 27 May 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#43 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

Great pic from the "slide", glad you enjoyed the run!
Your car created plenty of interest; just sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you as I was a little busy.

FS

#44 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

Good Skills there Don.....

#45 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

It’s harder than you think.

Having just returned from my summer holidays and having a few days before going back to work decided to try my hand at inner wheel arches.

Decided to use cardboard and not the bendy MDF like Cptkirk as it was all I had to hand.

First pointer USE MDF as you will see later the problems I had with cardboard, the hot glue gun worked a treat and would use it again just remember to smooth over any lumps of glue that drop.

All went well with the construction the problem was removing the wheel arch off the mold, used the correct wax as a release agent and had sealed all the cardboard before waxing but had to resort to an angle grinder to remove the mold.

The final finish is not as good as I had hoped it looked better without the fleece layer, that said it's my first attempt at this work and it fits!!!!!!!

2 full days to produce one side and a green dog as he kept getting in my way ( have you seen the Spec savers advert when the farmer shears his dog that's what poor Ben looks like now)

Please note you don't have to use Cillit Bang other products are available.

Attached Files

Edited by dondo, 24 June 2015 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users