#1 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:40 PM

i need new piston rings for my 1293 engine, i cant remember what piston rings im gonna need, can anyone help

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:59 PM

You'll need +020 oversize

#3 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:00 PM

Do you know the piston part numbers? If so, quote them to Mini Spares or whoever you use and they should sort you out. If not, do you know where the pistons were bought from? If so, try askin them what rings you need, other than that, if 1293 rings aren't a standard size, your gonna have to whip a piston out and tell em what you find.

#4 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:09 PM

well i think i'll take the pistons out, and see what i can find, then give Minispeed a call, i dont trust Minisport or Somerford Mini Spares any more...

i asked Somerford Mini Spares to send me some 'A+ Thermostat Housing BOLTS', they ended up sending me some rocker pedestal studs...dont ask me why they send them :erm:

then i rang back, said to the same person 'im after three A+ thermostat housing BOLTS (a long shaft with a NUT welded on the end)' can you please send me some'...what did i recieve through the post the next day...some bloody rocker pedestal studs...what the F..K? Same kind of scenario goes for Minisport, just with random bits of a dash...

#5 bluebottle

bluebottle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

the thermostat housing is usually held on with studs, and they are probably the same size as the rocker studs.

#6 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:46 PM

not in 1988 A+ Metro Engines

#7 Sfanatic

Sfanatic

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:03 PM

well i think i'll take the pistons out, and see what i can find, then give Minispeed a call, i dont trust Minisport or Somerford Mini Spares any more...

And you trust MiniSpeed?
There were a lot of posts on here recently.
The place to go is Mini Spares. Give them the piston number and the size and they'll send you the rings.
If you are feeling rich and want the best piston rings in the World, then go for "Total Seal" rings. They are made by a company in Pheonix, Arizona, USA, and distributed in the UK by a company called Lowman-Jones Ltd of Dagenham, Essex. These rings have a gapless second ring which improves performance and reduces oil consumption. I put a set in My Cooper 'S' and the oil consumption halved. The cost - not cheap at around £130 per set.
Don't forget to hone the bores well when fitting new rings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users