134 replies to this topic

#16 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

Half that if needed. 2mm steel is going to be plenty, if you sinter glass filled nylon it will be very stiff, the part isn't under a lot of load so it doesn't have to be terribly strong.

#17 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

I would second the need to get it printed in powder, on a desktop printer you wouldnt get the support out. 

incidentally most desktop printers will create their own supports when slicing for print 

Well I never knew they would create it for you!  Do you know much about it Alex?  Would it build supports in under the inside of bell?

Well I currently run a Davinci 3d printer and it uses its own slicing software (based on Slic3r) and that has the option of working out where you need supports, its not ideal on small parts (like for instance the collet grooves of a valve) but bigger things will work fine, but you have to think about the way the support material will come out after printing and the way yours is it would have to be in two bits, the mounting face and the bell so you could remove the support past the flange. If you want to send me the file (.stl ) I can run it through my machine and see if it will create the correct supports? 

and I dont know that much about 3d printing yet, only bought mine a few months back but I am quite fluent with CAD (only solidworks) 

Here's the link to Drive for the .stl file Alex, it's too big for the forum, cheers. EDITED OUT LINK

I have requested permission for the file EDITED OUT EMAIL I will also see how much it would cost me to print for your info as well :) 

Edited by Alex_B, 22 September 2020 - 11:48 AM.

#18 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Half that if needed. 2mm steel is going to be plenty, if you sinter glass filled nylon it will be very stiff, the part isn't under a lot of load so it doesn't have to be terribly strong.

Write up a brief of exactly what you're trying to achieve. Thing if all the aspects of the product you are designing, air flow, longevity, chemical resistance.etc then figure out what's important and what's not.

#19 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:22 PM

Right, I have now sliced the file and according to my printer it will be using 33.29m worth of filament and about 7.5 hours print time. I do have the sliced print file with supports if you want a copy (.3w file type, not sure what else can use this file type as it may be a davinci only format)

#20 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Yup, it seems your .3w file is some kind of gcode that DaVinci use so not much use here.  But thanks for giving me an idea Alex, I'm in the middle of designing it using less plastic.

#21 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

have you sorted it yet? any colour preference? what would you like to pay?

the supports would come out easy, my lad has done loads of stuff, 8 bit tie, desk tidy, christmas decorations etc...

pics aren't wonderful sorry and the blue bauble was just a test one. red one is stuffed with cotton wool so looks bit odd.

IMAG2229_zps79dc7990.jpg

IMAG2233_zpsed83f2d9.jpg

IMAG2963_zps06eab70b.jpg

IMAG2964_zpse4cfa6b3.jpg

IMAG2959_zps56401ed6.jpg

IMAG2965_zps0a9562b6.jpg

#22 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

Love the tie! and I will let you know what the supports like to remove in a few hours ;) 

This is something  I am working on atm, mini TARDIS for my Dr Who loving girlfriend 

10416602_10205565543798580_3395460424170

#23 mingy

mingy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

Well, i got MED,s " ultimate " stubstack for my HIF44 and hey presto it arrived by courier and i fitted it in minutes with carb in situ albeit, quicker than you lot have decided if a double megabite etchasketch will work it out for you.............  :bah:

#24 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Well, i got MED,s " ultimate " stubstack for my HIF44 and hey presto it arrived by courier and i fitted it in minutes with carb in situ albeit, quicker than you lot have decided if a double megabite etchasketch will work it out for you.............  :bah:

Wheres the fun in not making it yourself? ;) 

Only a mere few days designing it and 7 hours to print it and there you have it! :P

#25 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

What i love about 3D printing is the fact you can print moving parts in one assembly.. when i was at college i went to a show at the RICOH arena...this was 3 years ago when it hadnt really took off properly. 

I mean like you can print a ball, inside a ball...but they arent joined together...which to me is fascinating :P 

#26 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Are you able to get the bolts on and a spanner in to tighten them? It looks pretty tight for clearence? It's a nice looking shape though!

#27 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

What i love about 3D printing is the fact you can print moving parts in one assembly.. when i was at college i went to a show at the RICOH arena...this was 3 years ago when it hadnt really took off properly. 

I mean like you can print a ball, inside a ball...but they arent joined together...which to me is fascinating :P

it still hasn't, wait until they are doing food and body parts.

#28 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

Are you able to get the bolts on and a spanner in to tighten them? It looks pretty tight for clearence? It's a nice looking shape though!

That's what I meant about it looking like a swine to fit Timmy, I'm hoping there's a bit of 'give' in 4mm plastic.  I have another design in the pipeline where the bell tapers down to 1mm thick on the outside edges and the mounting is much more skeleton, it might trim a 1/3 of the total plastic needed.

#29 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

have you sorted it yet? any colour preference? what would you like to pay?

the supports would come out easy, my lad has done loads of stuff, 8 bit tie, desk tidy, christmas decorations etc...

pics aren't wonderful sorry and the blue bauble was just a test one. red one is stuffed with cotton wool so looks bit odd.

If I understand properly, Alex is printing it off now.  I've been looking into prices for commercial printing but they're a bit high.  My mate's ordering some plastic for his desktop tonight so next week he should be able to run it off.  The big question for me is what the finish will be like on the bellmouth, obviously it has to be super-smooth but I guess I'll be able to put in the lathe for polishing.

#30 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

That's what I meant about it looking like a swine to fit Timmy, I'm hoping there's a bit of 'give' in 4mm plastic.  I have another design in the pipeline where the bell tapers down to 1mm thick on the outside edges and the mounting is much more skeleton, it might trim a 1/3 of the total plastic needed.

Will keep you posted, I suspect it will need modifying to fit but thats half the fun of development. 

When I have more time I will knock up my own version and see how that compares. 

If anyone has access to a flow bench this would be an interesting test ;) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users