134 replies to this topic

#31 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

have you sorted it yet? any colour preference? what would you like to pay?

the supports would come out easy, my lad has done loads of stuff, 8 bit tie, desk tidy, christmas decorations etc...

pics aren't wonderful sorry and the blue bauble was just a test one. red one is stuffed with cotton wool so looks bit odd.

If I understand properly, Alex is printing it off now.  I've been looking into prices for commercial printing but they're a bit high.  My mate's ordering some plastic for his desktop tonight so next week he should be able to run it off.  The big question for me is what the finish will be like on the bellmouth, obviously it has to be super-smooth but I guess I'll be able to put in the lathe for polishing.

Not necessarily, a slightly rough finish can be good at promoting micro vortices across the surface which can improve the aerodynamics due to lower air resistance and things. The surface is a golfball is dimpled for a reason after all

#32 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

the supports would come out easy, my lad has done loads of stuff, 8 bit tie, desk tidy, christmas decorations etc...

pics aren't wonderful sorry and the blue bauble was just a test one. red one is stuffed with cotton wool so looks bit odd.

If I understand properly, Alex is printing it off now.  I've been looking into prices for commercial printing but they're a bit high.  My mate's ordering some plastic for his desktop tonight so next week he should be able to run it off.  The big question for me is what the finish will be like on the bellmouth, obviously it has to be super-smooth but I guess I'll be able to put in the lathe for polishing.

Not necessarily, a slightly rough finish can be good at promoting micro vortices across the surface which can improve the aerodynamics due to lower air resistance and things. The surface is a golfball is dimpled for a reason after all

Yes, of course, inlet tracts aren't mirrored for a reason.

I'll send you the dimensions I've measured off a gasket - I couldn't find any exact measurements on't t'interweb and CBA taking my carb off.

#33 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

I'll send you the dimensions I've measured off a gasket - I couldn't find any exact measurements on't t'interweb and CBA taking my carb off.

Thats ok, I have an HIF44 stripped here that I can use to work off :) 

#34 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

Let me know, I'll check mine against yours. oo er... :P

#35 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

Let me know, I'll check mine against yours. oo er... :P

Won't be for a few days yet, next few days uni assignments are killing me! currently have about 5000 words to write before tuesday and a car to design and model for wednesday 

It currently looks like this and I'm not sure I can convince them that its finished 
10886151_10205617801104980_1957257001_o.

#36 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

Perfectly drivable! :-)

#37 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

I'm not so sure, I haven't determined the steering geometry yet! only chassis layout, designed the chassis and then modelled the suspension geometry. 

Plus it would be a bit chilly on the road ;) But the wheels rock! 

#38 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:07 AM

Ding! 

Prints done :P 

this wont be mountable as it is due to the lack of room to get to the mounting flange however I think I will drill the outer bell to allow the + head screw and driver to attatch it and then print a couple of plugs to avoid any air disturbance issues, not perfect but better than another 8 hour print! 

Excuse the fact I haven't removed all the support from underneath, only took the most of it out, which turned out to be about a third of the overall amount of filament used! 

967939_10205618386039603_362227091_n.jpg
10899852_10205618386119605_1445969704_n.

#39 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:48 AM

Crikey!  There it is  :D  If I can get the new design solid I'll send you the .stl file, it'll be a lot lighter on filament,

Bellmouthv17SkeletonMount_zps68a18a1f.jp

The SolidSolver extension I'm using just goes into a wheelspin when I run it ATM, the Spinning Beachball of Death appears and I have to Force Quit.  I can't see why right now.

#40 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

That version looks like there will be the same fitting issues, if it was me I would be making the trumpet longer to allow a spanner behind. Also watch out for clearance on the inner holes, on the one I printed there isn't any as the body of the bell intersected the hole due to the thickness mostly but a narrower throat would be an idea.

#41 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

I wouldn't make the trumpet longer to allow for a spanner.

I'd add a blob of material so thread can be tapped, would make mounting this a bit easier :)

intresting thread!

#42 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:19 AM

I'd add a blob of material so thread can be tapped, would make mounting this a bit easier :)

intresting thread!

Thread wouldn't hold in this type of plastic nor would it print well enough, the type of thread that can be printed is about 2-3mm thread pitch otherwise it just creates a mess. 

well that is for standard desktop printers, the professional printers will print with a better resolution.  

#43 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

That version looks like there will be the same fitting issues, if it was me I would be making the trumpet longer to allow a spanner behind. Also watch out for clearance on the inner holes, on the one I printed there isn't any as the body of the bell intersected the hole due to the thickness mostly but a narrower throat would be an idea.

You run into clearance issues with the airbox, that's why I kept it so marginal.  The newer design goes very thin at the edge, hopefully it'll deform enough to get fingers underneath.

#44 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

intresting thread!

Thread wouldn't hold in this type of plastic nor would it print well enough, the type of thread that can be printed is about 2-3mm thread pitch otherwise it just creates a mess. 

well that is for standard desktop printers, the professional printers will print with a better resolution.  
I wouldnt print the tread, I dd add material and tap a thread in it, dont know about material strenght

#45 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Replace the bolt holes with pilot holes, thicken the flange then use self tappers and a 90 degree screwdriver (ikea type?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users