• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

#1 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

Well I got my custom mixed rustoleum through the door yesterday in Lipari blue (used on minis 85-91) BVL666. here are the pics, I did get my first coat a little thick but it has settled now and is levelled without orange peel... i'm just nbot experienced with thinners at all :proud: , but... I'm getting there now.

This stuff goes a long long long way. I've used two tablespoons of paint so far the rest is thinners. and it goes very far lol!

I'm, very, very pleased :) I'm gonna be putting my 2nd coat on tonight then sanding it down with 800grit.

I prepped the boot lid by just getting rid of all the shine from the paint with 80 grit wet and dry used dry then i washed down with white spirit and then slapped the paint on. so far so good.

Attached Files

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

that looks pretty good.... I'm painting mine with hammerite :proud: sssshhhhh don't tell anyone !

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:12 AM

that looks pretty good.... I'm painting mine with hammerite :) sssshhhhh don't tell anyone !

would that be with a cheapo brush too mate? :proud: hope you're not doing that to shmoo!!!
was it you that was going to put writing on the a panels like spax, bilstien etc... but write hammerite, sticky tape, filler, cable ties??? lol.

second coat going on tonight. quite impressed at the moment but i'm gonna reserve my judgment till the final cut and polish..

just looking at my pic.... the paint looks lilac.... it's not it' blue.

Edited by Retro_10s, 11 July 2006 - 10:13 AM.

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:19 AM

Been there done that with grotbag... ( artists impression )

Posted Image

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:23 AM

Been there done that with grotbag... ( artists impression )

Call that art?! :proud:

Edited by Retro_10s, 11 July 2006 - 10:24 AM.

#6 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:29 PM

looking great :proud:

may I ask what kind of rustoleum paint you are using? I know the brand, but there are several kind of paints :)

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

may I ask what kind of rustoleum paint you are using? I know the brand, but there are several kind of paints

you may ask sir, and it is this pictured below!

Attached Files

#8 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

how much was that tin like that mate and where did you get it mixed????
im thinking of doing the inside of my car and the doors and boot and bonnet then just getting the body sprayed on the outside. also can that stuff be sprayed on?? last thing , is it more durable than what you get in a rattle can??

cheers

ted

#9 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:39 PM

much more durable than rattle can. though good rattle can jobs can be very tough but it's all in the prep.

I got it fomr Avenue paints (their number is on the tin above.) they mix to any colour etc. £40 but an xtra £10 for delivery.

you can spray it and results are good but you waste a lot.

#10 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

may I ask what kind of rustoleum paint you are using? I know the brand, but there are several kind of paints

you may ask sir, and it is this pictured below!

#11 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

Time will be the test for this method I think. anyway, I just flatted down with 800wet and dry wet, and slapped on 3rd coat. looks good. I think the problem i had before is not mixing the paint properly... so TOP TIP...

Make sure you mix the paint well, and when you add thinners make sure they're thoroughly mixed in too.

On the picture note where you can see the bubbles just after having applied the paint, thes disappear with a quick blow, though msot disappear of their own accord.

Here it is, third coat just applied this morning.

Attached Files

#12 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:41 PM

Right...... I've just slapped on my 4th coat. And I've finally got a feel for what kind of consistency you need for the paint to level well and not drip, run, seperate, whatever,

I have found that in order to get a good layer of paint on that levels beautifully I had to squeeze as much paint off the roller into the tray as I could by rolling it back and forth, this makes getting a uniform finish quite difficult, but... when you roller it, go over and over the patch, and it spreads lightly over, keep going and then you'll see you have a perfect layer!... even when you think you might have to load up the roller again, don't... just keep going and it works!

I will take pics of 4th coat tomoz, though really I think I'll be wetsanding and apply my last coat maybe... 5-6 coats is needed to build up the paint for a good enough finish... i'm nearly there.

I've gotta admit... my 3rd coat was VERY shoddy and I was really downheartened by it.... but the 4th coat has gone on SO well that i'm really pleased now. pics to come..... I'll be reaching for the 1500grit soon and some polish compund so we can really see what this paint can do!!

#13 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:23 AM

Here's the fourth coat hardened this morning, I'm about to start wetsanding with 800 ready for the 5th coat now then I'll go to 1200grit and then polish... excuse the poor pic, i'm a bit bleary eyed this morning lol....

on this pic you can see the very slight orange peel I get, careful sanding will get rid of this and then the next coat will sit nice and flat...

Attached Files

#14 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

Painter and Decorater in the making :-

Thats looking not too bad at all.

#15 Retro_10s

Retro_10s