• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 StephenQuinlan

StephenQuinlan
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:07 AM

Hello everyone,
Im Stephen I'm 20 and I'm new to the forum.
Im currently looking to buy myself a classic shape mini but wouldnt know the first thing about them so i thought id join up and educate myself before i fully commit. Im from Ireland, wouldnt mind getting a mini from the UK or mainland europe. Ive heard things about rust and reliability issues I'm a french car fanatic so I'm well use to that. I am willing to spend around 3-4k euro as i will be using it as a daily driver for commute to college so any body have words of wisdom, links to threads or even know of one for sale send me a message :)

Edited by StephenQuinlan, 07 January 2015 - 03:09 AM.

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

Welcome to TMF Stephen.

You have certainly come to the right place if you need information and advice on the classic Mini. :-)

There are plenty of Mini's to choose from but as you are already aware, the suffer from rust quite badly.

when viewing potential cars, try to look for an 'honest' car that if has had repairs done (most have) that they have been done to a good standard.

If there is one thing that tends to let Mini's down, it is bodge repairs.

The common rust areas are in the seams under the headlights, the sills, inner sills, front floors, heelboard (where the front of the rear subframe bolts to) and the boot floor.

Basically look everywhere you can for rust and bare in mind that rust in seams tends to start from the inside so any bubbling of the paint from the outside is usually the last step in the rotting process.

A common cause for major rot in the floors and sills as well as heelboard ends seems to be the fitting of cover sills which is regularly discussed at length around here and can cause some shocking damage to the structure of the car.

the cover sill is a repair panel designed to fit over the top of the original narrow type sills and fitting of them results in trappeed moisture and accelerated rusting of the key structural parts of the bodyshell.

A good thread all about cover sills can be found here http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/290598-oversills-what-they-are-and-why-you-want-to-avoid-them/  and is well worth a look as these can hide some of the worst nightmares and most expensive repairs on the car.

It may also be an idea to look through the technical section of the forum as this will give you the low down on common mini problems and what is involved in repairing them.

Another thing to think about when looking at Mini's is to get the most solid rust free car you can afford as generally speaking, mechanical repairs and issues are easier and cheaper to repair.

If you are interested in the body side of things, have a look at the projects section. there are lots of great build threads within and will give you a good insight into the common repair areas and what is involved in repairing them.

Good luck and feel free to post any questions you may have and we will all be glad to help.

Cheers

Ben

#3 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:19 PM

Hi..and welcome to TMF and enjoy........ :highfive:

#4 StephenQuinlan

StephenQuinlan
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for the help,

I have a friend who is a welder so any small bits i can deal with but the ones in that link are so bad i hope i can find something better :P im going to test drive a 01 very last of the classics tomorrow

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

The later models have issues with poor paint application and this leads to them rusting quite quickly so be wary. Whether it's down to quality control or whatever just bare this in mind and have a real good look around the car.

Don't be afraid to ask them to let you lift the carpets etc. spend as much time as possible looking around especially in good light. DO take it for a test drive, the MPIs are a much more refined car so it should be a smooth drive with no knocking etc.

#6 StephenQuinlan

StephenQuinlan
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

Well I got myself a 25th anniversary addition one, 998cc for 950 euros which wasnt too bad. I still have a good few bob left to put into it aswell. Delighted with the purchase just need to get it running :P

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:15 AM

Well I got myself a 25th anniversary addition one, 998cc for 950 euros which wasnt too bad. I still have a good few bob left to put into it aswell. Delighted with the purchase just need to get it running :P

Excellent!

I am restoring my 25 right now!

Would love to see some pictures if you wouldn't mind putting some up

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users