#316 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

At last  ;D

It's definitely taken a while to get onto this assembly job.

Onto today's work. Yesterday I repainted the hubs and other bits with another coat of Hammerite black as they had chipped and scuffed in storage. I also gave the calipers another coat of silver paint, so they look pretty good :) 

9lDIVCL.jpg

This morning (more like afternoon, late start to the day during the holiday season :P) I decided to fit the bearings and ball joints and grease everything.

The bearings were relatively easy to do. Just followed the Haynes Manual instructions and it went smoothly. Onto the ball joints, firstly I seem to have been short of shims, and the old ones are at home (I think). Secondly, and more importantly, I couldn't find a 1.5" socket at work and I don't have one :( So that job is on hold now... sigh. 

Another issue seems to be that the CV joints available locally aren't quite right and don't clear the inner races of the bearings, which is a strange one. 

Anyway, here are some pictures of the assembled bits. Yay :) 

wv4VNu0.jpg

The dodgy fitting CV joint:

1pdZzP2.jpg

AMF2Yma.jpg

And with the calipers fitted to both hubs.

uNlbMjT.jpg

#317 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

Yesterday I decided to drive around and try and find the right socket. Eventually, after a lot of phone calls and checking, I found it! The suitable socket :) 

Ez2tCC8.jpg

I wanted to see what the dust shields would look like in wrinkle black paint, and I think it looks pretty good. 

jyLRqnx.jpg

One problem is that I couldn't and still can't split one of the dust shields. I think I might just hack off the nut and bolt and get new ones. 

Finally, I got the ball joints correctly shimmed, torqued and the lock tabs folded. I fitted the steering arms and on one side I completed the assembly with everything torqued up, yay! 

xbbyIvj.jpg

#318 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Final small update took the Mini to the person who did the bodywork for me to get the stripe fitted on the side :) 

#319 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:29 PM

Time to fit!

#320 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

I still need the bleeder screws and grease nipples :\

#321 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Another job that needs doing is the booster brackets. They can be purchased from MiniSpares, but with shipping and everything, it might be possible to get some made. I drew these up a while back and shared them on this thread. The dimensions were identical to original brackets, but that complexity meant they'd be very difficult to manufacture.

6bgRXjQ.jpg

viNiqqe.jpg

So I decided to simplify the designs yesterday evening. Here's the result. They should be easy enough to make and if a good material like stainless or armoured steel is used, they should be strong enough too. 

1ztN0ex.png

rmjMMvr.png

KP9NKU3.png

I've sent them to a friend, who has the equipment to laser cut and sheet metal bend the parts. 

#322 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

I think you have the 'loop' wrong and the one you've used for reference is too complicated - it should just 'kick up' at the end, not have a step in it. I'll try and get pictures of mine tomorrow.

Personally I would make the bracket straight with the loop going underneath then once bolting to the car you can adjust to suit, bending the end up as required. 

And the ones from Minispares will need a lot of work - the rear bracket is a totally different shape to suit the more angled inner wings.  Obviously the nose bracket is different too.

Here's a reference photo I have:

jWjHrHK.jpg

Edited by GraemeC, 03 January 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#323 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

I think you have the 'loop' wrong and the one you've used for reference is too complicated - it should just 'kick up' at the end, not have a step in it. I'll try and get pictures of mine tomorrow.

Personally I would make the bracket straight with the loop going underneath then once bolting to the car you can adjust to suit, bending the end up as required. 

And the ones from Minispares will need a lot of work - the rear bracket is a totally different shape to suit the more angled inner wings.  Obviously the nose bracket is different too.

Yeah, it's quite likely that it was a little complex. That first set of CAD parts were dimensioned exactly on the stock items from a mk2 S (I think), which could explain why they aren't quite right. 

You're right. Those bends on the sides need to be the other way, simple enough fix I think, just change the spec of those bends to -90o (instead of +90o.) The reason for adding those bends was to add some rigidity to the part, with the alternative being to use multiple flat pieces for support, since that bracket would be subjected to the vibrations in the engine bay. 

By the way, that engine bay is so tidy.

#324 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Mk2 S brackets won't be right for a clubman shell though.

I think you have the sides correct, it is the end I think is wrong

#325 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

Mk2 S brackets won't be right for a clubman shell though.

I think you have the sides correct, it is the end I think is wrong

My bad, just found out they were from a local GTS :| oops. 

Anyway, quick updated design. 

Rh6TQ0z.png

#326 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

That's much better (in my opinion).  You can then 'adjust' the end to suit where the servo comes to. Just make sure the length is correct (although if you have no holes on the top of your inner wing you have some freedom).

Originally there was a plate fastened on the underside of the inner wing with two captive that this bracket would bolt to.

#327 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

That's much better (in my opinion).  You can then 'adjust' the end to suit where the servo comes to. Just make sure the length is correct (although if you have no holes on the top of your inner wing you have some freedom).

Originally there was a plate fastened on the underside of the inner wing with two captive that this bracket would bolt to.

Ah, I did not know that. It would help with the rigidity of the joint too. Perhaps one of those flat pieces can be cut shorter and attached to the underside of the inner wing. How would you attach it to the wing? rivets, something else? Another friend had suggested self-tapping machine screws to attach the bracket to the wing. 

#328 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:27 PM

I would either pop rivet or spot/plug weld it.

It would add rigidity - this could be done without fastening it to the wing though, just as a large spreader plate.  The advantage of fastening it is that it will not mean it is a two man job to fit the bracket (you'll not reach under the wing whilst putting the bolts in from the top), which is porbably the factory's main reason.  Especially as if you need to remove the servo (for a clutch change for instance) it would be easier to remove complete with the front bracket still attached.

#329 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I don't have access to welding equipment, but I do have access to a rivet gun, so that might be the best plan. Thanks for all the advice Graeme, there's a lot that you mentioned that I hadn't really thought about. 

#330 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

This is the underwing plate I have, i believe it to be original and has holes where its been riveted
FdbElka.jpg
utvWqgk.jpg

Edited by GraemeC, 04 January 2018 - 09:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users